Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing flies

Options
  • 07-07-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Just wondering what would be the best type of fly to use when catching fresh water trout for the months of July/august?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

pewpew16 wrote: »
    Just wondering what would be the best type of fly to use when catching fresh water trout for the months of July/august?

It depends what your fishing for and where like a river or lake! But in general a winkhams fancy is a good one to try it's basically a mige I caught a 2/3lber about a few days ago on a size 12 but I'd try and get a smaller size, but it works as well the sedge will be a good choice, and around September or August daddy long legs will work good even now the will there very good imop, now nymphs all I really use are hears ear or a pheasant tail nymph all good to try, but I most stress local knowledge is the key to success in any river....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pewpew16

It depends what your fishing for and where like a river or lake! But in general a winkhams fancy is a good one to try it's basically a mige I caught a 2/3lber about a few days ago on a size 12 but I'd try and get a smaller size, but it works as well the sedge will be a good choice, and around September or August daddy long legs will work good even now the will there very good imop, now nymphs all I really use are hears ear or a pheasant tail nymph all good to try, but I most stress local knowledge is the key to success in any river....

Thanks for reply I'd consider myself an amateur so you think my best bet would be go for a winkham and enquire in the local tackle shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

pewpew16 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply I'd consider myself an amateur so you think my best bet would be go for a winkham and enquire in the local tackle shop?

Yea id say so, I'd also get gink its used for dry flys which I use with the winkham fancy, I'd also get a nymph as they are easier to fish then drys, but ask a tackle shop near you they'll help you, and suggest new places to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Go to a tackle shop and ask! Tell them where your going and they will give you the rivers most popular flies.

I'd also recommend wet fiy fishing for starters and as you get into it try the drys - I started the other way around and I think wet to dry would have been a better start.

Advertisement