Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm gonna be conscripted soon.

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am gonna be conscripted to the Estonian military in a few years.
    I've lived in Ireland for 10+ years and don't even speak Estonian.
    If i get and irish passport will it cancel out my citizenship of Estonia and exempt me from military service.
    What do I do ?
    I don't mind doing the time, but it's just that it screws with all my plans for the future and it doesn't help if i get a job and have to quit for 8 months.
    Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How would you be conscripted? You live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

you dont have to do it, unless you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I don't think you can hold dual Estonian/Irish citizenship.

So acquiring the Irish one, may invalidate the Estonian one?
    (I could be wrong).

Or send the an 'I.O.U. 1 x nations defence when Vladi invades after the 2018 WC'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

endacl wrote: »
    How would you be conscripted? You live here.

I used to work with a lad from Iraq (I think ... some where like that). He did a visit home, and was quite nervous that he could be stopped at the airport and re-directed to do the military service which his country requires of all male citizens, irrespective of their address. Luckily for us, he wasn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have dual citizenship with a country that has conscription. Nothing happened.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estonian_nationality_law#Dual_nationality you can take out Irish citizenship also. They can't have "foreign nationals" serving in the military, so that will rule you out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you have to go home you could fly into a neighbouring country and just cross the border on land. No risk of being caught at an airport then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

irish_goat wrote: »
    If you have to go home you could fly into a neighbouring country and just cross the border on land. No risk of being caught at an airport then.

Noting as easy as that. If they think you're dodging them, the military police get involved. I had an Uncle who worked abroad and spent a few years playing cat and mouse with the MPs any time he came home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Long and the short of it is you won't have a problem. If you're not registered with the embassy they won't even contact you, and if you are, you simply don't go. At the end of the day the most they can do is refuse to issue you / renew your Estonian passport and arrest or detain you if you ever go back to Estonia.

As to dual citizenship, technically Estonia does not allow this, but Ireland does. Thing is that if you're Estonian jus sanguinis, then you cannot be denied it anyway, under Estonia law, so it goes back to passport denial being the worst that can happen.

I'd contact the embassy and ask what exceptions are there, sooner rather than later, because if you're eligible for one the paperwork for these things can literally take years to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sourpls420

thx for all the replies guys really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sourpls420

Thx for all the replies guys really appreciate it. If I get denied an irish passport just not gonna go **** that third world ass country. F the Plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sourpls420 wrote: »
    Thx for all the replies guys really appreciate it. If I get denied an irish passport just not gonna go **** that third world ass country. F the Plebs.

Estonia does not have to care what Ireland says or thinks on the matter. If you are identified as an avoider, they -can- arrest you should you find yourself in Estonia. Of course, if they don't know you're an Estonian who didn't do his time, that's another matter.

Each country takes conscription more or less seriously. When we were flying to the middle East, US Military flights could stop in Turkey for refuelling. Every soldier was specifically asked if they had ever held Turkish citizenship. If they had, and they hadn't done their time, they were at risk of arrest. The fact that they were in US Military service would not have protected them. I am not aware of how strict Estonia is, or how enthused your are about ever going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Estonia does not have to care what Ireland says or thinks on the matter. If you are identified as an avoider, they -can- arrest you should you find yourself in Estonia.

Each country takes conscription more or less seriously.
    I can vouch for this, as an ex-conscripted French, amongst the last few classes of age to do compulsory French national service (did mine in '96-'97).

I'd been living in the UK a few years at the time, and had just completed my degree in June and got married in July, then off for 12 months in September. I'd actually asked for paratroops, due to the 'hazard' double holiday (2 weeks, wooo!) and double pay (€112 per month, wooo!). But military doc said no (the military induction health check is when I first found out, aged 24, that I couldn't "perceive depth"...I'd always wondered why I couldn't see 'fake 3D' in movies, there was my answer).

If I hadn't gone, the French State would have issued an international (EU) warrant for my arrest as AWOL/dodger, and British Police would have shipped me over as soon as they got hold of me...or Légionnaires would have "renditioned" me (during the days of NS, France used to use the Légion to 'go fetch' NS dodgers abroad if locals were taking a bit too long with the warrant execution). Arrested or renditioned would mean brig on top of the full period of national service, so no brainer.
    Of course, if they don't know you're Estonian, that's another matter.
    Unlikely, tbh, considering the OP (admitting to 'Estonian citizenship').

OP, if you've lived in Ireland for 10 years, presumably you've had (to renew-) your Estonian passport at the local Estonian embassy or consulate in that time, and Estonian authorities therefore know who you are (and where you are, if you haven't moved)?

Advertisement