Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for: Rotary Dial Telephone

Options
  • 08-07-2015 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello folks,

I'm currently on the look-out around Dublin for an old rotary wall-dial telephone. One which holds a resemblance to what would have been used during the 30/40's.

Could anyone recommend anywhere in the City Centre that might have one in stock? Any trinket/thrift stores – or even galleries/museums which might have one (hopeful for a lend).

If anyone could think of anything, please drop a line below. I'd be massively grateful.

:)

Cheers,
    Sinéad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hello folks,

I'm currently on the look-out around Dublin for an old rotary wall-dial telephone. One which holds a resemblance to what would have been used during the 30/40's.

Could anyone recommend anywhere in the City Centre that might have one in stock? Any trinket/thrift stores – or even galleries/museums which might have one (hopeful for a lend).

If anyone could think of anything, please drop a line below. I'd be massively grateful.

:)

Cheers,
    Sinéad

I doubt museums would have them, unless Little Museum of Dublin, but lending.... don't think they would.
    Try looking up Vintage Shops, but expect to pay more than you would at a second hand place/junk shop, thrift shops are generally clothes and maybe a small amount of ornaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

There were some 'old' phones at the Merchants market, East wall a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly what you're looking for but I was only browsing!
    Not sure if market is still going, there were rumours of it closing. Dave

19559477785_c19f4c7dd3_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Merchant's Market is gone.

Records & Relics (Cork) have two brand new originals for sale - never out of their packaging. https://www.facebook.com/RecordsandRelics

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP is looking for a 1930/40s phone which would be a bakelite unit with a plaited cord. Those suggested Northern Telecom phones in the East Wall and Records & Relics (Cork) markets are plastic 1970s models, they were the last generation of pulse dial phones and were replaced by tone (DTMF) dial units with buttons that arrived when telephone exchanges began to be converted to digital beginning in the early 1980s.

I think this is more what she is looking for - to my knowledge there was no such thing as a wall-mounted private (non-coinbox) phone in Ireland back then. The wall-mounted domestic phones (typically installed in the kitchen) you see in US movies of the period which involved a built-in microphone and a handheld earpiece were never installed in Ireland.

200-series-md.jpg

Advertisement