Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Gyms

• 08-07-2015 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi there! Im moving to Galway City next month. I would like to know what the best gym in Galway city is please? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im looking for somewhere fairly clean/well kept, good facilities such as a well kitted out gym (concept rowing machines, good spinning bikes, good free weights selection and equipment in general) and nice swimming pool, sauna/ steam room etc.....And preferably somewhere that wouldn't be extremely packed out all the time or that would at least have some quieter times. Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kingfisher has a 25m pool but it'll often be busy with students.

Planet Health& Fitness is probably more what you want if not having a pool isn't an issue. It's big so less likely to feel packed.

There's Warehouse and Galway City Gym but they're more about the free weights and less about sauna and cardio

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tirchonaill86

Thanks Alf mate. I do like to use the pool etc to relax the odd time but the warehouse looks a great spot for the free weights etc....what about the NRG, Active fitness (24 hour gym) or Ocean fitness? Would you have any experience with these spots Alf? Good man thanks for your response. I have heard the Kingfisher gym is quite busy alright, kind of put me off but i wonder what other people think of Kingfisher...

I wouldn't have experience of those places at all. I've only had a walk around Planet Fitness and Galway City Gym. Did a bit of training in Warehouse over Christmas.

Kingfisher is attached to NUIG so it can be busy with students. But I know a few others that use this forum would have more experience in G-G-G-Galway gyms

Lol thats cool Alf thanks for your help brother. Maybe these other humans can engage. G-G-G-Gaaalllllwaaayyyyy! Funny story i just remembered when i saw your reply, several years ago i was put out of the classroom by my career guidance teacher who had quite a bad stutter when she asked me where i was putting down on the cao forms for some course or another i replied to rapturous laughter from fellow classmates, yeah you guessed it....G-G-G-Gaaallllwaayyyy! Memories... God forgive me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

I'm in Active Fitness - it's fine, plenty of equipment although there seems to be something out of order every day these days :rolleyes: only one squat rack and one bench station. Pool, sauna, steam room & jacuzzi are fine. It's not too busy in the mornings but I believe after work is a different story.

• Advertisement

Knowing my luck the bar would snap and fall on my neck. Jeez sounds dodgy...suppose could always take out a big claim and set myself up for a few years. I heard that joint is 24 hour...i might land in to do a few backflips after a heavy night on the tear. Would they breathlyze ye i wonder? Is the swimming pool olympic size? Cheers for reply bud.

It's just a 20m pool - typical hotel pool, three lanes I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

NUIG is a decent option if you can avoid the students, so if you plan on gyming early in the day or at weekends you would be grand. Also if you plan on going with NUIG tell them you are a student and they will give you the student price of 250, just say you will go into reception once you have your student card.

Ocean fitness is a nice gym but very expensive.

Cheers guys. Whats the Kingfisher like for gym equipment?Good selection of gym equipment/machines/free weights? Would you say the place is well looked after hygiene wise? I have moderate to severe OCD... 250 for the year is pretty good. Has Kingwisher got a good steam room/sauna and swimming pool? Thanks for input.

Cheers guys. Whats the Kingfisher like for gym equipment?Good selection of gym equipment/machines/free weights? Would you say the place is well looked after hygiene wise? I have moderate to severe OCD... 250 for the year is pretty good. Has Kingwisher got a good steam room/sauna and swimming pool? Thanks for input.

If you go during peak student times 5-close mon-friday then you will probably have a meltdown as the place is a tip, equipment everywhere. The weights section is ok but a lot of the bars are bent in the main gym section, usually I would go into the 'elite' room to do any barbell stuff. If you email them then they would hook you up with a few free passes.

To get the 250 student rate you will have to say you are going to NUIG in september but want to join a gym now as you are moving to Galway shortly.

• Advertisement

Thanks dude. Thats good to know. i must hit them up n try for a free pass when i get up there that would give me a good idea i suppose but it would probably be a lot different obviously n not as busy with all the students about. Apart from Kingfisher, is there any other good gyms with pool/sauna/steamroom facilities or what would rank in the top 5 in Galway city in any of your opinions for the criteria i reflected on? Thanks ever so much for your help.

If you want a pool/sauna then your options are
    Kingfish => will hook you up with a free pass
    Ocean fitness => very expensive
    leisureland
    Active and leisure => free trial advertised on their website
    Radisson => tiny gym and very expensive

If you can get kingfisher for 250 and could avoid the student times it's best option, but try and get a few trials

NRG Bohermore has pool etc. as well & I think will give you a free trial. Not sure how expensive it is but I believe it's clean

Sound. What about NRG? Ever have any experience or hear any crack about that place. It has 2 facilities...one in bohermore, the other in knocknacarra. It also seems to have a pool etc...

Pemtca just saw your response there thank you. I suppose getting a free pass and checking the scene out in each of them would probably be the true answer to my question. Thanks for your input everyone, much much appreciated.

Pemtca just saw your response there good woman.

FYP.

OMG sorry pemtca...i presumed you were male species. My sincere apologies....how unintentionally sexist of me. Sorry again! Thanks for advice too. I think the NRG places seem to look good enough? I wonder if anyone coming into this forum could enlighten me if they have previous experience in NRG gyms in Galway? I think they let you be a member in both their gyms if ye ever felt like a change of scenery...pool and all looks pretty good.

Forgot about NRG. I have only used it once, personally I found the weight area pretty small and limited but it does have a pool.

OMG sorry pemtca...i presumed you were male species. My sincere apologies....how unintentionally sexist of me. Sorry again! Thanks for advice too. I think the NRG places seem to look good enough? I wonder if anyone coming into this forum could enlighten me if they have previous experience in NRG gyms in Galway? I think they let you be a member in both their gyms if ye ever felt like a change of scenery...pool and all looks pretty good.
    No worries!

Advertisement