Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Movies to watch on the plane

• 08-07-2015 7:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭

I fly home next week on a 8-9 hour flight and have the list below as my options and was wondering which the board thought would be best to pass the time.

Avengers Age of Ultron
    Run all night
    Shaun the sheep
    Kingsman
    While we’re young

Then there are the old backup movies (classics)
    Top Gun
    I know what you did last summer (I will have to give this a glance again)
    National Lamppons

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Whiplash is a good 'un.

Was gonna say Ex Machina but it gets a little erm, fleshy in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

ehh they are not showing on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Anything that didn't sell itself on big action sequences anyway. iPads etc are a rotten way of experiencing them for the first time and do them an utter disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Airplane
    United 93
    Airport
    Airport '77
    Passenger 57
    Falling from the Sky: Flight 174
    Air Force One
    Con Air

Sorry I mean that they are being shown on the planes entertainment system.

The choice are as listed in my first post.

Some bunch of comedians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

The Avengers and Kingsman are a good watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

gazzamc wrote: »
    The Avengers and Kingsman are a good watch.

Again, would you want to experience The Avengers first time on a terrible 6 inch screen stuck on the back of the seat in front of you?

I'd be the 25 year old guy watching Shaun the Sheep tbh. :P

It will not be a great screen alright, so I guess the less special effects the better.

But which films are worth a watch, forgetting the screen quality, more content.

I guess While We're Young is a pleasant enough watch that doesn't rely on big visuals, so the small screen won't hurt it much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Do they've any TV shows? During long journeys I prefer getting into a TV show instead of movies because one continuous long story keeps you engaged instead of stopping and starting completely new stories which after even just two movies gets boring.

If they had Prison Break and you hadn't seen it before that'd probably be the quickest 8 hour flight ever because of how addictive the first season is.

Never seen prison break, i will see if they have it. I don't get to see many of these movies at home so I thought 8-9 hours of my own time I may as well indulge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Again, would you want to experience The Avengers first time on a terrible 6 inch screen stuck on the back of the seat in front of you?

The size of the screen wouldn't matter, I've watched movies on the plane and was pretty immersed in them, there's not a lot to distract you during a long flight.. If the movies good and you have a good pair of headphones it's all good.

Either way it's better than twiddling your thumbs :P

Ive a pretty big screen and noise canceling headphones

original_Review-Etihad_Business_Class-Ottoman_and_IFE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Is that a bed?!? Beats any plane I've been on recently.

Forget the tiny TV, have a sleep!

Its a day time flight and I want to avoid being awake at bedtime in my destination.
    Plus its novelty being able to watch movies I want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Ba dum tish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If you've the money for one, buy a headphone amp as well to go with the noise cancelling headphones - you'll be delighted to have these on any flights in the future, you'll forget you're even on a plane, especially since those screens are actually decent.

Oh ok... Just don't watch anything that would normally be classified over PG-13 as airplane screeners tend to cut out any scenes containing sex or violence, often rendering the film incomprehensible. Kingsman would fall into this category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Basically pick any film that won't have been edited to within an inch of its existence by the over zealous flight companies.
    Though I know they've become a bit more relaxed you'd have to wonder what the point of showing World WarZ on a flight was!

I tend to use the time to catch up on "older" movies where the small screen doesn't limit their impact, last January it was "A Walk Among the Tombstones", Silver Linings Playbook and a few others.

Falstaff pipped me at the last second!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Basically pick any film that won't have been edited to within an inch of its existence by the over zealous flight companies.
    Though I know they've become a bit more relaxed you'd have to wonder what the point of showing World WarZ on a flight was!

I tend to use the time to catch up on "older" movies where the small screen doesn't limit their impact, last January it was "A Walk Among the Tombstones", Silver Linings Playbook and a few others.

Falstaff pipped me at the last second!

Snap!

Out of the list in the opening post, I'd watch Top Gun.

What else is on offer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

kingsman is a great "switch off your brain and watch" movie. but it's violent so it will be cut to shreds as an airplane movie I'd imagine.
    either that or shaun the sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Skerries wrote: »
    Airplane
    United 93
    Airport
    Airport '77
    Passenger 57
    Falling from the Sky: Flight 174
    Air Force One
    Con Air

Snakes on a Plane

If you've the money for one, buy a headphone amp as well to go with the noise cancelling headphones - you'll be delighted to have these on any flights in the future, you'll forget you're even on a plane, especially since those screens are actually decent.

I have a pair of these sennheiser mm 450-x which do the job. the plane ones say noise canceling but are not the best.

Cheers for the reply's. I'm going with
    Kingsman
    While we’re young
    Avengers Age of Ultron

Advertisement