Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee Injury Treatment

Options
  • 08-07-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hurt my knee there a few days ago and think it's time to get it checked out. Living in Sandyford but not from Dublin so don't have a GP or anything up here, just wondering what people think would be the best way to go about this?

Feels like the damage is to the ligaments in my knee so would imagine I may need to get a scan, thought of going to the SwiftCare clinic in Dundrum but not sure its the best option.

Any advise?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You need a referral letter in order to have a MRI scan. The referral letter must come from a doctor or a consultant.

In your position, you have 2 choices: you can go to a physio and get some work done on it and see if it gets any better, or you can go to a doctor who won't be able to do any work on it but they can give you a referral letter if they think there is damage there that can't be fixed by a physio.

I've had problems with my knee over the last couple of years, and physio is always my first point of call. If after a few sessions there is no improvement, I'll get a referral letter from my GP for a scan. Luckily my GP knows the issues I've had with my knee so will give me a referral letter over the phone rather than taking time off work and paying for a visit with him

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

Thanks BDJW,

Appreciate the detailed reply. I think physio is the best option at this point as I had been thinking the same about visiting a doctor.

Can you suggest any good physio's in the area?

I've done a google and found a few but if you have any recommendations that would be great,

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

jrochie wrote: »
    Thanks BDJW,

Appreciate the detailed reply. I think physio is the best option at this point as I had been thinking the same about visiting a doctor.

I've done a google and found a few but if you have any recommendations that would be great,

Thanks again

There is a physio department in the Beacon hospital who I've been using for a few years. I have found them very good. I have also had the added benefit that I've had all my operations on my leg in that hospital so they have had easy access to all my files/scans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

jrochie wrote: »
    Thanks BDJW,

Thanks again

Mount Merrion Physio

Advertisement