Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, he swallowed a screw..

Options
  • 08-07-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Yip, the 3 year old, second day in hospital and, excuse the pun, it's only turned in his tummy. All 32mm looks like we'll be here a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cbyrd wrote: »
    Yip, the 3 year old, second day in hospital and, excuse the pun, it's only turned in his tummy. All 32mm looks like we'll be here a while.

Ouch! Hope he's okay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Our GP gave me some sage advice about kids (and he has five of his own). Girls are smart, artistic, quiet, independent. Boys are great fun and will really make you laugh, but they are also total morons. As the father of two small boys, it turns out he's right!

Best of luck OP, he'll be grand, somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Thanks, he's number 4 of 5, thought I'd seen it all :D he's swallowed a nut before but I didn't know til I found it in the loo, it gave him a bit of a fright though, thank God he came and told me cos it's a big pointy one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh jeepers... What do you do wait for it to pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OMG :eek: how did he even manage to swallow that?! Was it not sore?! Poor lil pet :( Hope he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Oh ouch! You'd wonder what they'd be thinking, little maniacs! Probably a scarier experience for you than for him.

My mum always tells the story she found my then three year old sister sitting holding an open bottle of bleach. She wasn't sure if she'd drank any so they brought her to hospital, and they wanted to keep her in overnight to be on the safe side. The next morning, my parents returned to the hospital - she was gone from the hospital cot and no one knew where she was. Panic stations, naturally! She was eventually found in a cleaning supply room, doing her best to open the child-proof lid from another bottle of bleach! :D

It didn't hurt him, more fright really, he had an xray again this morning and it's not moved very much. I'm waiting for the doctors to see what's happening, once he shows no sign of distress or pain they'll xray regularly and wait for it to pass, otherwise it's surgery. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh yikes! Something to tease him about forever though ;) hope he's out soon and feeling ok the poor mite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Our GP gave me some sage advice about kids (and he has five of his own). Girls are smart, artistic, quiet, independent. Boys are great fun and will really make you laugh, but they are also total morons. As the father of two small boys, it turns out he's right!
    QUOTE]

I find it very hard to keep my 3yr old boy at playgroup. Most of the other toddlers (mainly girls) are sitting doing arts & crafts & playing ever so gently with their toys and all my son wants to do is go out to the playground and run around like a loon shouting.

When I was about 3 I brought home a friend (boy) from playschool for the afternoon. Within 5 minutes he'd showered with his clothes on, poured Tippex in his hair and gotten my 1st floor bedroom window open & had thrown one of my mam's plants out of it. I just looked on in silent awe.
    :D he's swallowed a nut before but I didn't know til I found it in the loo,

Maybe he thought the screw was a bolt?

In all seriousness I hope it passes soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jesus C! Never a dull moment huh?!

Hope he's ok!

I've a girl who's like a boy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A screw! Oh yikes, poor thing. 32mm is big enough as well, how did he even manage to swallow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Ha the little toolbox, god love him. hope it passes without any harm done.

my cousin swallowed a 2p for some unknown reason when she was younger, managed to get it far enough to impede breathing but not fair enough as to reach the stomach. had to be removed.

in a similar vein to kids doing incomprehensibly silly things, i think i was 3/4 (i hope i wsnt older anyways :-)) when i decided to run round with a pencil sharp side up in my mouth, fell and now have a lovely cm deep hole in the roof of my mouth for me troubles. i can only imagine the screams out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Oh joy - hope it passes (pun intended :pac:).

Have two boys as well, and may just start to bribe the local A&E nurses for premium access ;) so far, no personal injuries, however our 3.5 year old has managed to wedge a metal spike into one of the sockets (thought my heart would stop, thankfully it was in the earth part), same with a crayon (came running to me asking me to get the crayon out again - uuhhhm???), wanted to fill my car with the garden hose (tank locks! I finally found their purpose :rolleyes:), hid food on us in the house (mammy, the bananas are hiding! :eek:) and also managed to climb up onto the window sill, open the window and threw out my plants. How he even gets those ideas i dont know, it's not like we dont care :confused:

Friends who had a girl (the quiet, arty, book reading type) had us over, and told me not to worry about him, let him run around, their house was safe and sure what could he really get up to? Within minutes he found the family's xmas present stash (little girl didnt even know that space existed...), locked himself in the bathroom (thankfully unlockable from the outside), switch on their dryer, and then proceeded to throw the girls's furniture over the bannister down the stairs.

Suffice to say they don't have us over all that much any more :D

pwurple wrote:
    A screw! Oh yikes, poor thing. 32mm is big enough as well, how did he even manage to swallow that.

I have no idea! Although he always eats apple cores and plum stones so I suppose screws are the next level ;)
    I think it did scratch his throat though cos he's still pulling the skin on his neck. This madman has a huge pain threshold, he bounces off things and just shakes I off.
    He's coming home tomorrow, the hospital got on to Crumlin who said that once there is no pain or discomfort he'll be OK to pass it naturally.
    I have to say I'm nervous about it, he bounces through the day, I'll be afraid he'll land on his belly and dislodge it!
    Ffs, kids would melt your head!

How's he now, cbyrd? Any ... errrr ... movement? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Cbyrd noooo!!! The hubby told me about this thread last night (he remembered you from Newbridge Farm). When they all finally give you 5 mins to sit down and form a single thought without interruption, you need to write a book!!

Havent got to page 2 yet but hope its all resolved soon!!

How's he now, cbyrd? Any ... errrr ... movement?

None yet, just back in the hospital now, his dad is doing the nightshifts, waiting for the doctors and maybe get him home today. He's fast asleep through beeping and buzzing and chatter.. I'm so envious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I... put the screw .... in the TUNA !!!

Hurray, it's out! He passed it this morning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Hurray, it's out! He passed it this morning! :)

I've been following this and hoped it would appear. Glad it finally did. It's unbelievable the things they eat!

• Advertisement

I hope you kept it for him as a souvenir! :pac:

I hope you kept it for him as a souvenir!

It'll be stuck on the wall at the 21st :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ya know, I was reading this when you started this thread Cbyrd, thinking thank fcuk my lad was never really interested in putting stuff in his mouth.

Well.

Today I'd to snatch about 5 different things out of his mouth and tell him off for it.

That'll teach me, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I caught my two this week eating lumps of bark, from our compost heap 😫

Chewing on it like it was a slice of bread 😞

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Oh god this is all ahead of me.

I have a mental 14 month old who puts everything in his mouth. i cant even begin to start on the things he has done but at present, the stair gate is hanging off the wall, a wardrobe door is hanging off, the beautiful bookcase i made was ripped off the wall and currently being used a some kind of throwy thing.

I am drained, i leave in a world of chaos. my friends all have girls, he is the only boy out of 7, i see the pity in their eyes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Girls are smart, artistic, quiet, independent. Boys are great fun and will really make you laugh, but they are also total morons. As the father of two small boys, it turns out he's right!

Speak for yourself / your own sons - not everyone else's. My little boy is very smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Speak for yourself/ your own son not everyone else's. My little boy is very smart.

And my little girls are constantly getting into mischief and swallowing crazy stuff!

I hate putting tiny children into pigeonholes. :mad:

Can they not just be themselves? Why put weird gender expectations on them when they are happy and complete just being babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Zanablue

FactCheck wrote: »
    And my little girls are constantly getting into mischief and swallowing crazy stuff!

I hate putting tiny children into pigeonholes. :mad:

Can they not just be themselves? Why put weird gender expectations on them when they are happy and complete just being babies?

I totally agree, I hate when people put children into pigeonholes.

My son was such a quiet little fella and never caused us any hassle. My daughter was as mad as a hatter, she put everything in her mouth and climbed everything that could be climbed, she was like a whirl wind!

Don't get me wrong, my boy is clever, runs rings around the 5 year old. That's what causes the problem.. He's bored. Trying to keep him amused is torture!
    He's so much fun though I'd be lost without him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't get me wrong, my boy is clever, runs rings around the 5 year old.

I have no doubt about it but you did thank a post that called him a moron ;)
    Kids are energetic and curious so get into all sorts. It is when they are lethargic that you should worry. To say all little boys are stupid and all girls are smart is moronic* in the extreme and says more about the intelligence of the posters doctor and kids than anyone else.

*And irresponsible.

Advertisement