Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, he swallowed a screw..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    I have no doubt about it but you did thank a post that called him a moron Kids are energetic and curious so get into all sorts. It is when they are lethargic that you should worry. To say all little boys are stupid and all girls are smart is moronic* in the extreme and says more about the intelligence of the posters doctor and kids than anyone else.

Sorry if you have nothing constructive to add to the thread why bother wasting your time?
    Pc gone mad
    Read the entire post I thanked, you read more words than moron!

It was also quite a stupid thing to do, swallow a screw, I've also seen all of my children at some point do lots of other stupid stuff,
    Please don't use my thread to vent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Doing a stupid thing does not make a person stupid though. You said yourself that your child is smart. A child learns by exploring and curiosity. Their curiosity should not be used as a stick to beat them with. Learning is a wonderful thing. Sometimes it involves little accidents but that is all part of the learning process. We all learn by our mistakes but that doesn't make us morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ok here's my list of idiotic things the kids did over the years.

Daughter #1

Fell out of a tree and broke her arm

7 months later fell out of the same tree and broke other arm :confused:

Cut her hand (4 stitches) while trying to open a tin of cat food.

Daughter #2

Fell of the back of the sofa and broke her wrist

Fell off top bunk at 3 in the morning cracked 2 ribs.

Son #1

Jumped off the sofa, missed his landing and cracked his forehead off the coffee table (7 stitches)

Fell off bike, broken wrist

fell off skate board 2 broken fingers

Fell off wall, broken ankle.

Cut leg on an old fridge in friends garden, 1 stitches (8 internal 10 external)

Lost top of index finger when it got caught in bike chain.

Son #2

Climbed into his friends dogs kennel, stood up and cut top of his head on a nail, 9 stitches (nicknamed money box head by siblings for years after)

Broke both legs falling out of a tree (different one to his sister)

3 broken toes dropping one of my dumbells onto his foot.

Peanut stuck up his nose (that was a fun 3 hours in Temple street) :confused:

27 stitches in various places after coming off his bike into a ditch full of crap.

Boys are not dumber per se they just have more of an "I'm immortal" attitude when younger compared to girls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

nicknamed money box head by siblings for years after

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Speak for yourself / your own sons - not everyone else's. My little boy is very smart.

Good for him, must have skipped a generation. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

cbyrd wrote: »
    Sorry if you have nothing constructive to add to the thread why bother wasting your time?
    Pc gone mad
    Read the entire post I thanked, you read more words than moron!

It was also quite a stupid thing to do, swallow a screw, I've also seen all of my children at some point do lots of other stupid stuff,
    Please don't use my thread to vent.
    It's posts like this that are making some of us father's feel unwelcome in the Parenting forum.

If this forum is to descend into yet another version of mumsonline where women feel free to be casually sexist about men and call "PC gone mad" when this is pointed out, then let's just be done with it and re-name it the "Mums Forum".

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good for him, must have skipped a generation. :)

Mod:

Enough with the personal digs.

Everyone else - lets steer clear of gender generalisations, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My mother thought she could fly after eating fish eyes and jumped off the garage roof!!!! No lasting injuries surprising enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The week before my older sisters communion she jumped off a 7 foot wall. She was in a massive cast and couldn't walk on the day!

My younger sister decided to put the front wheel of her tricycle into the trailer of a friends tractor toy and get a lift. Bike fly backwards and she smashed her head open on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's posts like this that are making some of us father's feel unwelcome in the Parenting forum.

If this forum is to descend into yet another version of mumsonline where women feel free to be casually sexist about men and call "PC gone mad" when this is pointed out, then let's just be done with it and re-name it the "Mums Forum".

I'm sorry, but I cannot see anywhere on this thread or in this forum in fact where fathers are made to feel unwelcome at all. One of my major draws to this forum in the first place was the fact that it wasn't a 'mummy's only' forum.

If you have a problem with the way this forum is run, PM one of us mods (if you want it to be unbiased and have a man look into it too, Orion is our daddy mod here.) We'll certainly take any concerns you have on board and discuss them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Some people on this thread are taking themselves waaaaaaaaaay to seriously

I say that as the father of a two and a half year old stereo typical boy who has just discovered his willy and is determined to show all and sundry it at every available opportunity, supermarket, swimming pool, crèche..... Much to the consternation of his five year old sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

Yeah, the problem with going on and on about what a "stereotypical" little prince or princess you have is that the behaviour described is never actually all that "typical" to one gender. Guess what, loads of kids are obsessed with their genitals. Loads of kids are obsessed with trying to swallow dangerous stuff.

They don't do it because they're boys. They do it because they're TODDLERS.

I have a lot of time for the sentiments expressed thoughtfully and at great length here and elsewhere, along the lines of "in general, you do get a few more boys breaking their arms than girls". Right, that's fine. The reason I think it's a bit of stupid thing to focus on, though, is because as this thread proved it's a short leap from that statement to "boys are morons".

And while I'm mostly in agreement with Sleepy and Pawwed Rig here, I do differ from them, and perhaps I'm seeing it as a parent of girls, but I think they are quite wrong to think that this stuff only effects boys negatively, or that it wouldn't be tolerated if spoken about girls. Girls get an avalanche of negative gender stereotypes too. The flip side of "oooh these crazy typical boys" is that girls who are wild and adventurous are criticised much more harshly for the exact same behaviour (because they are supposed to "know better") which in turn leads to them doing it less! (That link is to one scientific study of many - it's behind a paywall but you can read the first couple of pages which outline the fairly significant body of study on this). Discouraging risk taking in girls is a big part of why we have fewer female entrepreneurs, fewer women in physical and risky careers, fewer female sportswomen. The flip side of the "boys are risk taking idiots" is girls hearing "adventure, exploration, and risks are not for you".

And it is all total crap and yes, it makes me really angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

(nicknamed money box head by siblings for years after)

This is the funniest thing I've read on Boards in months!

FactCheck wrote: »
    but I think they are quite wrong to think that this stuff only effects boys negatively, or that it wouldn't be tolerated if spoken about girls. Girls get an avalanche of negative gender stereotypes too. The flip side of "oooh these crazy typical boys" is that girls who are wild and adventurous are criticised much more harshly for the exact same behaviour (because they are supposed to "know better") which in turn leads to them doing it less!

I agree with all of that. I would never say it is only boys at all and will call out predjudice, sexism, racism, (inset any other ism), wherever and whenever I see it. The shaming tactics such as we see above like 'Some people on this thread are taking themselves waaaaaaaaaay to seriously' and 'Pc gone mad' never mind the personal abuse aimed at me above is water off a ducks back.The one thing that would shame me is if my little boy was ever on boards and saw that I called him a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Mean while in a little corner of Ireland there is a three year old who has no idea his eating habits and subsequent bowl movements have prompted a pseudo debate on the injustice of generalisations of fellow toddlers into predefined stereo types.

Bravo that boy

That made me LOL!
    I don't like when threads get derailed, I have 3 girls and 2 boys, 2 of my girls are older (16 13) I have never been to a and e as often as when I had my boys.
    I have 6 brothers, the shÃ႒®te they got up to only got worse as they got older 

Boys definitely have the devil may care attitude, although my 13 year old daughter is a tomboy, she has only been in casualty once, she loves football and I cant get her into a dress. But she was never as wired as the boys, the youngest in particular, I'm sending him to gymnastics in September.
    And yes in hindsight I would say their actions are moronic rather than the child, but I don't take every word to heart, I can see it for what it is. Old fashioned jesus Christ what is he doing 

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

This thread is making me LOL, we all having a good laugh in the office about it.

I have no problem holding my hands up and admitting my 14 month old is a total moron especially when compared to the 7 girls the same age whom he hangs out with. They are just total Divas

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

best of luck op. poor little fella. now wheres my bag of screws. im hungy!

FactCheck wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem with going on and on about what a "stereotypical" little prince or princess you have is that the behaviour described is never actually all that "typical" to one gender. Guess what, loads of kids are obsessed with their genitals. Loads of kids are obsessed with trying to swallow dangerous stuff.

They don't do it because they're boys. They do it because they're TODDLERS.

I have a lot of time for the sentiments expressed thoughtfully and at great length here and elsewhere, along the lines of "in general, you do get a few more boys breaking their arms than girls". Right, that's fine. The reason I think it's a bit of stupid thing to focus on, though, is because as this thread proved it's a short leap from that statement to "boys are morons".

And while I'm mostly in agreement with Sleepy and Pawwed Rig here, I do differ from them, and perhaps I'm seeing it as a parent of girls, but I think they are quite wrong to think that this stuff only effects boys negatively, or that it wouldn't be tolerated if spoken about girls. Girls get an avalanche of negative gender stereotypes too. The flip side of "oooh these crazy typical boys" is that girls who are wild and adventurous are criticised much more harshly for the exact same behaviour (because they are supposed to "know better") which in turn leads to them doing it less! (That link is to one scientific study of many - it's behind a paywall but you can read the first couple of pages which outline the fairly significant body of study on this). Discouraging risk taking in girls is a big part of why we have fewer female entrepreneurs, fewer women in physical and risky careers, fewer female sportswomen. The flip side of the "boys are risk taking idiots" is girls hearing "adventure, exploration, and risks are not for you".

And it is all total crap and yes, it makes me really angry.
    Couldn't agree more. I've a 6 year old girl and a 9 year old boy and, yes, the boy has been in hospital more but honestly, my daughter has just been luckier. She's far more likely to engage in risky behaviour than her older brother and would be the first to tell you that he's a "scaredy cat".

Myself and my wife make a point of not being overly protective parents, our kids are encouraged to go play in the dirt, cycle their bikes, come swimming in the ocean with me etc. because I've seen first-hand how being too risk averse has affected my own life. We try to teach them both how to identify danger and how to use appropriate levels of caution in dealing with it: when to recognise that something is stupid to do and when to realise that it might go wrong but the consequences won't kill them.

One tip cbyrd: be careul about letting your young fella get too far into the gymnastics. It's great fun until it gets competitive but then it can very quickly leave you with long term injuries if the training is too intense. Mrs Sleepy was on the verge of competing at Olympic level as a teenager and has numerous health complaints today which all have their roots in over-training back then (up to 3/4 hours a day at the time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

As opposed to it being a boy/girl thing, I would be of the opinion that it depends on where you come in the family.

I have 2 boys, the eldest was never a bother. We never even needed a stairgate or a fire guard, he was the most placid little boy.

Then come the youngest who is a complete head the ball. He's been at A and E twice, broke a few lamps, tried to eat a live bird and if the stairgate is left open he goes for it like his life depended on it.

Most 2nd children I know are much wilder than the first.

Just a theory..

• Advertisement

I think there's definitely something to that PearlJ. The youngest has a role-model in their elder sibling(s) so tend to develop somewhat faster as they try to keep up.

Our eldest as I said is scared of his own shadow whereas his younger sister is far more daring.

Just to refute that we only have 1, he has no fear. his latest trick is jumping from the top of the slide to the ground. much quicker than actually sliding down the thing!

Complete loon - I am very tired

• Registered Users Posts: 29,455 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

John Mason wrote: »
    Just to refute that we only have 1, he has no fear. his latest trick is jumping from the top of the slide to the ground. much quicker than actually sliding down the thing!

i like this guy!

I definitely think there's merit in the second child being more daring, my girls are 16 and 13, the 13 year old was always far more of a lunatic than her older sister, the boys are 5 and 3, the 5 year old is happy with cartoons and his action men taking the risks.. I have watched my 3 year old do loop the loops around the tower at the top of the slide..( it's like a tree house 9 ft off the ground )
    I'm now watch my 8 month old get really excited when the 3 year old comes into the room, like she can't wait for him to show her all the tricks :o
    I too am tired :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

John Mason wrote: »

That still doesn't mean you are off the hook with no.2 - it just means no. 2 will be worse than the first lad. :pac:

Neyite wrote: »
    That still doesn't mean you are off the hook with no.2 - it just means no. 2 will be worse than the first lad. :pac:

We are done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I don't have kids, just stumbled across this thread by accident, this might sound terrible, but some of the posts are pure gold. Lying here laughing at 'boys are morons'.

Boys are more inquisitive I think, we do, do stupid things, as kids, and as adults.

Hope involved here though are doing well and keeping safe. Think I would be beside my self with worry if it was one of my own, even watching some of my own little relations leaves my heart in my mouth at times. Credit to you all.

John Mason wrote:
    We are done

Ya.. I said this too.. A few times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My sister once shoved berries up her nose, too far to be able to blow them out so off to the doctor to get them tweezed out :P

I used to mind a five year old girl that was just a lunatic. She loved to run up the street, pull her dress over her head and scream "look at my belly!"

She used to always jokingly call me mummy too and liked to play a game of opposites, Where nice meant mean, mean meant nice. She used to shout, on public transport with a large audience, "YOU'RE A MEAN MUMMY!!" so I looked like I wad a completely useless, 20 year old mother.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement