Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM access in the USA

Options
  • 08-07-2015 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm travelling to the USA next month and was wondering will ATM access be ok over there or do I need to notify the bank? Should I be doing this anyway? I have a regular Visa debit card and a MasterCard credit card.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Morning c_man, 

Thank you for getting in contact with us here on Boards.ie. 

As both MasterCard and Visa Debit card are internationally accepted brands, you will be able to use both cards abroad. Just to mention, as the USA do not operate with Chip and Pin technology, you will only be asked for your pin at an ATM. When using both cards to make a purchase you will simply be asked to sign. 

Prior to your departure date we would recommend contacting Bank of Ireland to notify us of your Travel plans. If you are registered for 365Online you can do this using the 'Credit Card Travel Notification' option in the Online Service. You can also add your 16 digit Visa Debit card number and both your accounts will be noted. 

Alternatively, please call Bank of Ireland Direct on 0818 365 365 and Credit Card Services on 0818 251 251 and a representative can assist with this.

Just to mention, ATM daily withdrawal limits are reduced when using both cards abroad and foreign banks may also apply their own limits. If you experience difficulty making a withdrawal we would recommend requesting a smaller amount.

Our website also offers information on fees and charges while using your Visa Debit card and Credit Card abroad. And should you need to call from abroad our number is +353 1404 4000.

We hope this helps and we wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine

Advertisement