Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi function Time Delay Relay Wiring

Options
  • 08-07-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I'm not very experienced with this type of timer and I'm relatively new to all the wiring so small words and detailed explanations will help!

I'm currently trying to wire up a DIN rail delay relay timer to a motor.

I have the settings on the timer all figured out and set the way I want but there isn't an obvious way to actually wire the mains into the timer.

The model of timer I'm using is as follows:

G2ZI20 12-240V AC/DC

I would love to attach the PDF that has all the wiring info on it but I'm not allowed to because I'm new (really counterproductive).

If you go to the Radionics site and look up the model number: 160-234 you will see the PDF and be able to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

I just need to know where the Live, Neutral and Ground go for the input and output. I think the ground may even skip the timer completely.

If it helps, the setting I will be using for timing is the Ip set up.

Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ClancyT93

Thanks for that Calahonda52 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A bit more information about what exactly you are trying to achieve would help.

Generally speaking applying a voltage across A1 and A2 will should start the timer, and after the timed interval the change over contacts 15,16,18 and 25,26,28 switch over.

I'm not sure why you would need a motor to start and stop with that timer function.

Well I'm basically turning a wheel and I need it to turn on for only a quick burst every 1.5 hours.

So it needs to come on for 20 seconds then switch off for 90 minutes and repeat that over and over.

The part I'm struggling with is the ground wire. I'm under the impression it may skip the timer and go to the motor directly.

Since getting the grounding of this right could be the difference between getting a nasty shock or success I want to make sure I get it right.

So to run over what the set up is...

Socket at wall ---> Plug ---> Timer ---> Motor.

So if I hook up the Live and Neutral to the A1 and A2 what would I be doing with the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is it when power is applied across A1 A2 that
    15 switches from 16 to 18 and
    25 switches from 26 to 28
    ?
    so if the motor is connected to 18 and 28, with the power to 15 and 25, then in the off position 16 and 26 will be "live" and 18 and 28 will be live when relay in timer closes.

OP, as it works on 12v you can always test it with a multimeter

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Ok I think I get where you're coming from.

So in my head I've got it wired up like the following....

Live (IN) ---> A1
    Neutral (IN) ---> A2

Live (OUT) ---> 28
    Neutral (OUT) --->18

I may have the live and neutral idea wrong but I think that sounds right based on your logic.

I'm still confused about the Ground. I don't know if skipping the timer is the right idea but I can't see it being a big problem once the live side of things is sorted.

I'll try testing with a multimeter first anyway and post the results.

Thanks for the replies and help :)

Your motor will be ok with 20s On, 90m Off. Just be aware that many motors cannot be started too frequently.

However I'm nervous about you doing anything with mains voltage at this time, can you get someone competent to assist you? there are so many things you could do wrong that can't be easily foreseen in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It may possibly need 2 timers to have a continuous 90 minutes off, then 20 seconds on cycle, depending on what timers are out there.

I remember doing one where fuel truck driver connects fuel line, press start, and the pump runs 5 minutes. After that, for 30 seconds an indicator flashes, and if the driver is not there to press reset, the pump stops. That took 3 of them type timers, one for the 5 minutes, one for the 30 seconds, and one to flash the indicator light once a second for the 30 seconds. Before that setup, the drivers would connect the hose, press start, and go off and have tea, leaving the truck unattended.

To do it properly it should have a start and stop DOL setup as well, although if its a tiny motor of no danger of causing injury, it might do without that.

It would be difficult to do without someone experienced in such matters involved as brightspark mentioned, for technical, and as he suggests, safety reasons.

Thanks for all the help and advice peeps.

It took some time but I worked it out.

I have it wired up now and functioning the way I wanted it.

For anyone who might come across this and out of interest I'll post the way I found worked with this timer.

I ended up wiring it in the following set up:

Live (IN) ---> A1 (looped) 15
    Neutral (IN) ---> A2

Live (OUT) ---> 18
    Neutral (OUT) ---> A2

Ground ---> Skips timer and goes to motor

So the neutral just looped through A2 and the Live entered at A1 looped to 15 and came out at 18.

These timers are suited to do all these separate intervals and for roughly €80 they'd want to.

Hopefully the motor will be ok after a week of running on and off but for now I'm happy to say all is ok!

Thanks again!

ClancyT93 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help and advice peeps.

It took some time but I worked it out.

I have it wired up now and functioning the way I wanted it.

For anyone who might come across this and out of interest I'll post the way I found worked with this timer.

I ended up wiring it in the following set up:

Live (IN) ---> A1 (looped) 15
    Neutral (IN) ---> A2

Live (OUT) ---> 18
    Neutral (OUT) ---> A2

Ground ---> Skips timer and goes to motor

So the neutral just looped through A2 and the Live entered at A1 looped to 15 and came out at 18.

These timers are suited to do all these separate intervals and for roughly €80 they'd want to.

Hopefully the motor will be ok after a week of running on and off but for now I'm happy to say all is ok!

Thanks again!
    I just seen your model number in first post now. A handy one.

• Advertisement

What size is your motor?

Its a 750W or 1hp 3 phase induction motor.

Its original purpose was to spin at high RPM with close to no load but at low speeds the torque is enough to do the new much slower paced job.

Two things you need to worry about.

The relay in the timer isn't suitable for that motor, if you are lucky it will run for a while then fail open circuit with the motor stopped, unlucky and the contacts stick on and your motor runs continuously!
    (Or are you just using the timer to pull in a contactor)

Is there any chance of someone touching the motor (or whatever it is driving) thinking that it is ok, then having it suddenly start after it's 90 minute interval?

How have you wired the 3phase motor?, your earlier posts didn't suggest a 3 phase supply.

I wouldn't imagine the timer is directly supplying the motor, unless its directly supplying a convertor or something.

But for someone who asked if the ground should skip the timer, they did unusually well getting the timer to operate a 3 phase motor, and no mention of contactor's or convertor etc.

Advertisement