Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural survey

Options
  • 08-07-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I need to get structural survey done on property we have gone sale agreed on. Looking for recomendations for someone in North Kildare if anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hi
    I need to get structural survey done on property we have gone sale agreed on. Looking for recomendations for someone in North Kildare if anyone has any recommendations that would be great. Thanks

Recommendations by PM only please

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7 happysmurfette

Sorry forgot to put that in my original post. thanks

We're also getting a survey next week on a house we've agreed to buy.

Anyone any ideas on how this usually goes? Is there always something bad to highlight? And if so, how typical is it to get money off the agreed price?

A friend of mine bought a doer-upper recently which turned out to have serious problems with the floors. He had been the only bidder and got a few grand off the agreed price.

We 'won' a bidding war so I wonder whether there is any scope for renegotiation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We're also getting a survey next week on a house we've agreed to buy.

Anyone any ideas on how this usually goes? Is there always something bad to highlight? And if so, how typical is it to get money off the agreed price?

A friend of mine bought a doer-upper recently which turned out to have serious problems with the floors. He had been the only bidder and got a few grand off the agreed price.

We 'won' a bidding war so I wonder whether there is any scope for renegotiation.

When we were FTB we got a friend of the family someone to do the survey and it was a disaster so make sure who ever you do use is good. When selling that house recently the purchasers surveyor was crap id have done a better job my self. In fact I kinda did as I sent a page of corrections back after the survey was sent to us.

Money off is a a tricky one. No house is perfect so there will be things noted on the survey. If you in a strong position you can try, will depend on whats found. You may have better luck looking for some repairs to be done then money off.

Thanks Rew. I think the guy we have is pretty good - he was highly recommended and he does some lecturing/examining in DIT so should know his stuff. 400 euro plus VAT so upper end of what I was expecting.

Fingers crossed there won't be anything major in the report. The house is only about 25 years old. I'd say the main 'problems' will be getting certificates for a block-built shed and small extension that wouldn't have been in the original plans.

Beyond that, maybe the radiators are old but that's not a surprise. As long as he doesn't come back saying that the taps are just showroom props not connecting to any mains water system we should be okay :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Our previous house was about that. Heating is something to be aware of as replacing a burner/boiler is €€€€ and insulation. Heating older houses is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 howay5o

I am also looking for a recommendation for someone to perform a structural survey in the North Kildare area.
    Any help you be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement