Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy, end of Aug 2015 for a week

• 08-07-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice on accommodation and places to go in Italy at the end of August for a week. Will be flying into and out of Milan so most likely stick to the Northern region. I will be meeting up with my girlfriend, who will be travelling from Slovenia. Money will be tight enough as i'll be back to college in September, as will she, and she will be after a few weeks inter railing. Was looking at Venice, possibly for a few days and Milan itself for a few days. Any advice for cheaper accommodation or other places to visit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PC_ThatsMe

Hey there, as it's the end of August many locals in the North of Italy especially Milan will be on holidays themselves as companies take collective leave at that time. So for accommodation you may have a lot of choice on Air B+B around that time, worth a look.

Venice can be very expensive for accommodation in August as it's peak season so perhaps consider couchsurfing? That way you'll get to see Venice with a local.

Aside from these two places, in the North you also have Lake Como which is an hour train from Milan and very pretty for a day trip or if you feel like travelling a bit further, there is Cinque Terre which is 2.5 hours train and would require one or two overnights. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Having lived in Milan for a bit I can definitely vouch for the stifling heat during the month of August - as said previously, most of the locals (who can afford to!) clear off to the coast or mountains. Especially this year with the combo of heatwave (even for Italy) and EXPO.

I could recommend Bormio, mountain town with fab thermal spas, located to the North of Milan beyond Sondrio (almost in Austria) reachable by trains with a couple of connections. Or similarly one of the towns on the Lago d'Iseo to the South, lesser known and less touristy than Lake Garda, stunning scenery with the mountains and lakes.

Advertisement