Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portugals Waves

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

roberb wrote: »
    Saw this today http://www.theinertia.com/surf/portugals-5-best-waves/

Anyone been to the less quieter areas in Portugal like Nazare or Foz do Figuiero (not Peniche, Cascais or Ericeira)?

Would prefer a list of the 5 or 10 waves in protugal that I would be able to surf :)

Arrifana currently tops the list for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Would prefer a list of the 5 or 10 waves in protugal that I would be able to surf :)

Arrifana currently tops the list for me

Arrifana is good but the first time I was there it took me three days to catch a wave

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

what Rodento said sums it up, I'd rather a wave that is catchable and that's why we are heading off to Peniche this year.
    €83 return with Ryanair is pretty sweet and it's not too far to drive to some other waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 labomba

How is going?

Anyone going to surf to Portugal in the end of October? Haven't surfed out off Ireland, would challenge some Portuguese waves.

Cheers

Fionn101 wrote: »
    what Rodento said sums it up, I'd rather a wave that is catchable and that's why we are heading off to Peniche this year.
    €83 return with Ryanair is pretty sweet and it's not too far to drive to some other waves.

Hi Fionn,

What dates are you going to Penich? I am planning to go at the end of October as well. Some surfer company would be great.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

Hi Labomba,

there is a group of us heading over on the 16th of September until the 22nd. Everyone is welcome to join us. link is in my signature.

if you would like contact numbers for some of the surf schools in Peniche for October then drop me a PM.

hope this helps,
    Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Fionn101 wrote: »
    Hi Labomba,

there is a group of us heading over on the 16th of September until the 22nd. Everyone is welcome to join us. link is in my signature.

if you would like contact numbers for some of the surf schools in Peniche for October then drop me a PM.

hope this helps,
    Fionn

Thanks Fionn,

I am starting to think,that it is not the best time to go there, when the contsest is on.
    All lines will be busy.

Might have to change dates.

Cheers for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Just back from Portugal. Spent 5 days in Figuera de Foz and 5 days in Baleal (about 3k up the coast from Peniche). The difference was unreal.

I was out one morning (not a dawn patrol) on a 2 km beach in Fig da Foz completely to myself. And that was right in front of the town. There's another beach, which I reckon is bit better, south of the town. Very few surfers on that beach as well. Powerful waves, lots of fun. Apparently there is the longest right in Europe here, but it wasn't working during my stay.

Baleal was more akin to rugby than surfing. Between 100s of surf schools, red hot grommets, long boarders and SUPs it was near impossible to get a wave to yourself. Invariably, the best waves I caught ended up with someone dropping in on me. A lot of the people in the line up were clueless about hanging on to their boards when big (and they weren't that big) sets hit.

If you drive a few Ks up the coast the beaches are a lot less crowded and the waves seemed every bit as good.

Not much nightlife in Fig, way better in Peniche

Advertisement