Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Shares & CGT

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I've 2 batches of shares maturing soon but can sell one batch now and the other batch in January 2016. If I do this then will I be able to claim the CGT exemption of €1,270 on each?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,536 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes, assuming you have not used the €1270 anywhere else, if you are married you can use your partners allowance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Yes- it's an annual exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks guys, so it's €2,540 (I'm married) exemption each calendar year for any shares I sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Thanks guys, so it's €2,540 (I'm married) exemption each calendar year for any shares I sell?

For the gains you make. Not the price.

For the gains you make. Not the price.

Yes, understood. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Yes, assuming you have not used the €1270 anywhere else, if you are married you can use your partners allowance too.

Are you sure about that the annual exemption can be transferred between spouses? I do not believe it can be.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

adrianw wrote: »
    Are you sure about that the annual exemption can be transferred between spouses? I do not believe it can be.

Thanks.
    You're correct, gift to wife to bypass maybe (no gain no loss), no CAT. Use 1270 exemption that way.

shuyin1 wrote: »
    You're correct, gift to wife to bypass maybe (no gain no loss), no CAT. Use 1270 exemption that way.

Am I right in saying then that I can sell all my shares now, take €1,270 for myself and gift the rest to my wife (threshold is €15,075) in any calendar year? I'm looking here for this info.

Advertisement