Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Reference.

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:26pm

I am currently moving from one place to another and I'm worried about my landlord reference.
    The last house I lived in was lovely ,I lived there for a year but I caused damage to a bookshelf whilst there ( i accidentally left a large scrape in it ,I repainted it,but the damage is done.)
    I left the room and house spotless but understandably I will probably lose some/or all of my deposit on the last house.The new place I am looking to rent wants a reference from my last landlord and even though there was never issues with rent or anything else do you think i am entitled to a reference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Don't worry about the shelf it sounds like other than that you were a good tennant. I wouldn't worry about getting a reference from the previous landlord I have never come across one who wasn't happy to do so. All it really needs to say is that you were there from date to date and that rent was paid on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

_ratm wrote: »
    I am currently moving from one place to another and I'm worried about my landlord reference.
    The last house I lived in was lovely ,I lived there for a year but I caused damage to a bookshelf whilst there ( i accidentally left a large scrape in it ,I repainted it,but the damage is done.)
    I left the room and house spotless but understandably I will probably lose some/or all of my deposit on the last house.The new place I am looking to rent wants a reference from my last landlord and even though there was never issues with rent or anything else do you think i am entitled to a reference?

Theres only one way to find out, adk your landlord. The main issue would be how good you are with paying rent, so I dont see how there would be an issue with something as minor as a scrape on a shelf if the rest of the house was left in the condition you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 g.a.b.e.

How about instead of asking for a reference, ask him to sign a letter that you made which states that rent was paid on time and the dates of which you were a tenant.

It's more of a "confirmation of rent paid" letter that should suffice for your new landlord.

jimmii wrote: »
    . All it really needs to say is that you were there from date to date and that rent was paid on time.

Great, thanks for the advice everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also don't mention any damage to shelves if it has been repaired to a good standard, accidents will happen from time to time and shelves are open to normal wear and tear just like everything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement