Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel2Go /UPS damaged TV, apparently not covered

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I recently sent a 32" TV and a couple of posters from Essex to Dublin via the Parcel2Go website. The courier I chose was UPS.

The TV was placed in it's original packaging with the two rolled up posters being placed behind the TV.
    354598.jpg

The TV was picked up in the depot and when it was plugged in it can be seen that the TV is completely smashed.

There is a puncture on the TV box which coincides with the place of damage to the TV which can easily be seen when you turn it on. Clearly abused in transit.

354599.jpg
    354600.jpg
    354601.jpg
    I rang UPS and they're going to pick the package back up to inspect it and have asked for an estimate of the package worth. I said it was about £200-250 or around €300.

They also told me that Parcel2Go will be the party that they will deal with since they're the broker for it. The thing is, the Parcel2Go website says that TVs aren't covered at all.
    https://www.parcel2go.com/prohibited-items
    Errr, it also seems like nothing is covered for damage by Parcel2Go. Never took out insurance, and looks like it would have been wasted judging by P2Go t&cs.

I'm hoping UPS do cover me and sort me out but since Parcel2Go are involved I fear that they might not.

Where do I stand on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your contract is with Parcel2Go, the courier is a sub-contractor. Parcel2Go's T&Cs are quite clear and when ordering the service you confirmed you read the restrictions when you ticked the box beside "I have read and agree to the prohibited & restricted items list"

Even when selecting your preferred courier the information linked to each UPS service offering states:
    There is zero standard compensation included in the cost of this service but you can opt to cover your parcel up to a maximum of £2,500.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Let me understand this correctly. You sent a fragile electrical item, by a service which says they are forbidden, and it got damaged. Now you want them to compensate you?

Do you really think they are going to stump up for this? The fact its got a fragile glass panel is probably the reason they dont allow them and you opted for no insurance so i think you are out of luck. You have given them all the get-out excuses they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

You can send a TV but it states clearly that it's at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unlucky but it looks as if you were not covered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

jelutong wrote: »
    You can send a TV but it states clearly that it's at your own risk.
    Yeah. I understand this, completely.
    I wouldn't have a problem with this if the package was delivered in a suitable and proper way. I would be willing to accept the package with a damaged TV if there wasn't any signs of mishandling/abuse of the package.

It has clearly been mishandled and the damage was as a result of that mishandling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It has clearly been mishandled and the damage was as a result of that mishandling.
    That is just an assumption, you don't know for certain how it got damaged. For all anyone knows something else could have fallen on it in transit or the truck/van had to perform an emergency stop and the load shifted. Unless you can show criminal damage you're flogging a dead horse with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I sent a knitting machine a while back with parcel2go, through ups (I think) . It was also smashed up but I ticked the insurance, had the €100 by bank transfer within a week.

It was a pain though, all quotes were the same until I ticked the insurance, each added a different amount for €100 cover, but it did pay out quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

They weren't going to transport your package in cotton wool. Of course its going to be flung from place to place as it moves along conveyor belts, packaged on vans, moves around on vans etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah. I understand this, completely.
    I wouldn't have a problem with this if the package was delivered in a suitable and proper way. I would be willing to accept the package with a damaged TV if there wasn't any signs of mishandling/abuse of the package.

In addition to what has been already said they can simply claim that the item was not packaged correctly. there isnt a lot of protection for the screen in your typical tv box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I ship a lot of glass items by courier - they don't cover damage and therefore I must ensure they are packaged to withstand courier delivery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement