Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for fishing trp with kids

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Will be down in Kerry in July/August and enjoy doing a bit of sea fishing from piers, breakwaters etc with kids. However they would love us to take a boat on a lake and fish. they are 8 and 11. has anyone advice where we could hire a boat on a lake near Killarney Kenmare etc and best type of bait. Bare in mind kids are only used to casting to sea and would probably not be able for fly fishing. any advice would be appreciated. is a licence required

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Dingle Bay Charters do a short trip sea-fishing suitable for kids - they even provide the tackle. I think it's around €20 for kids & €25 for adults, so it's not cheap. However, they should put you over enough mackerel to make them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lough Fada is one of the Inland Fisheries Ireland managed lakes. It's between Kenmare and Sneem and on the main Ring of Kerry road. You can't miss it. There are boats available to hire although it is a very narrow lake on not really required As for bait, some bubble floats and a worm would get a few trout for them I would imagine. Boat hire and permits are available in a nearby shop.

Lough Leine in Killarney also does boat hire by the hour or if you wanted to spend a bit more, a gillie would be available. You might be able to haggle a bit under the circumstances if it was for a short trip. The lake itself it free fishing. The upper lake is fishable from the shore, and being surrounded by mountains has an adventure, remote feel about it (i fished it years ago as a child on a summer holiday in Killarney - loved it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

bpmurray wrote: »
    Dingle Bay Charters do a short trip sea-fishing suitable for kids - they even provide the tackle. I think it's around €20 for kids & €25 for adults, so it's not cheap. However, they should put you over enough mackerel to make them happy.

Hey BP, you don't know how long that is for do ya? We might be heading single for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Hey BP, you don't know how long that is for do ya? We might be heading single for a week

Oh dear, afraid of Google, are we?

Their site is here: http://www.dinglebaycharters.com/Pages/Angling.html - I just checked and that trip is for 2 hours so it's perfect for easily-distracted kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

How original BP, good one.
    I am on my phone, bad connection and some sites are hard navigate. Sorry.

Their site is here: http://www.dinglebaycharters.com/Pages/Angling.html - I just checked and that trip is for 2 hours so it's perfect for easily-distracted kids.

Not easily distracted, she just loves to fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. There's no need for that. This is a discussion site. Most of the questions asked across all forums could be googled.

Advertisement