Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Grammar School ? **mod warning post #33**

Options
  • 08-07-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Any feedback/reviews appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its a posh, private expensive boarding school with a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Preference given to those with a Protestant background, I believe the focus is on producing well rounded individuals rather than individuals with high points (not saying that the academic side is neglected by saying that), any children I know who went there loved it.

Are people still defined by their religious beliefs,nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Startagain2010

Actually in comparison to Catholic Private schools, the fees are not that expensive. It also is a day school not just boarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Weaker students seem to do better than would otherwise be expected there. For more academic students, the Mercy/Ursuline/Summerhill seems to suit them much better than the Grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Weaker students seem to do better than would otherwise be expected there. For more academic students, the Mercy/Ursuline/Summerhill seems to suit them much better than the Grammar.

The Grammar has an air exclusivity amongst parents though.

"Ooh darling, my children go to the Grammar School don't you know scoff scoff"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

How old are you just out of curiosity? Sounds like something I'd have said when I was about 15 in Summerhill with the lads. I've matured a bit since then, the Grammar's a good school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that all secondary schools (excl. VEC) are private.

I wouldn't call 2,980 pa expensive.

http://www.sligogrammarschool.org/administration.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Would you like a chip for your other shoulder so you don't fall over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I went to the Grammar. More rich kids in Summerhill. Always was.
    My parents didn't drink, smoke or gamble. Didn't play golf. We never went on holidays. I used to have w@nkers whose family's did all these things telling me we were loaded. It was less than £1,000 a year at the time. £300 a term.
    I loved it there. It produced very rounded people (I won't include myself in that). But I did have a lad from Summerhill spit at me across from the bus station. He missed and nearly hit a man who gave him the stink eye. Just as well. I had a very short fuse. They would've had to drag me off him. We were walking across Hyde bridge one day. We were probably 5th years. Lads about 2nd year from Summerhill, believing the hype about how hard they all were started abusing us. You don't start on older lads. We dangled them across the railings on Rockwood Parade. Nearly sh@t themselves.
    I suppose the point is, it's a good school with a nice atmosphere but it'll cost a few quid. Especially these days. They learn to mix with the opposite sex and that Protestants are no different from anyone else. But expect a load of ar5eholes to give your kids grief and "adults" to start with the "la di dah" despite the fact they might have more money than you and a more extravagant lifestyle. It's something I put up with all through school and even now I get comments from people who should be old enough to know better. Yes, there's a few idiots who use it as a badge of honour, people who'd send them to Clongowes if they could, but mostly it's just normal people who scrape together a few quid to send their kid somewhere that might suit them or because their friends are going. I say feck the begrudgers and send them if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

My brother went there, and my parents scrimped to send him there, as all his bullies from primary school went to summerhill. except for some of the spoilt ones. but he got on pretty well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

There was a rumour a short while ago that it would soon be losing/ giving up the private status thing. Anyways the best education you can get is at home, if you're lucky. Can't put a price tag on that.

Kettleson wrote: »
    There was a rumour a short while ago that it would soon be losing/ giving up the private status thing. Anyways the best education you can get is at home, if you're lucky. Can't put a price tag on that.

The state pay all schools for their teachers to a level. "Private" schools in Ireland included. Other schools get other funding towards ancillary costs and facilities. The fee paying schools use the fees to fund other costs outside of this but may also employ extra teachers for the likes of Ag Science because there's a lot of students from farming backgrounds. The new block the Grammar built was funded from the school, loans and donations because the Department which funded the new Summerhill said no.
    Some people say why should the fee paying schools have teachers paid by the state. Not fair. Others say the state entitles every child to an education and to not pay the teachers is wrong.
    The fee paying schools just put it out the that they close if the Department stopped paying teachers. They would have to because the fees would be far too expensive if all the teachers had to be paid from them.
    There's a misconception that these schools are like Eton or Harrow and that wealthy parents and benefactors pay big money to them. They don't. It's just a different model and one that wouldn't stand up if cut loose. These schools entering the public system would ultimately cost the tax payer far more as the teachers would still be paid by the Department as well as everything the fees cover now.

And the current fees work out at €50 odd a week over the year. I know people who'd never dream of paying the fees who'd drop that on the gee gees or behind the bar every week without batting an eyelid.

il gatto wrote: »
    The state pay all schools for their teachers to a level. "Private" schools in Ireland included. Other schools get other funding towards ancillary costs and facilities. The fee paying schools use the fees to fund other costs outside of this but may also employ extra teachers for the likes of Ag Science because there's a lot of students from farming backgrounds. The new block the Grammar built was funded from the school, loans and donations because the Department which funded the new Summerhill said no.
    Some people say why should the fee paying schools have teachers paid by the state. Not fair. Others say the state entitles every child to an education and to not pay the teachers is wrong.
    The fee

I was somewhat bemused and jealous that the school had horse chestnut trees its grounds and they were just lying scattered on the ground, ignored and unloved. In my day we would have camped out underneath them to catch them as they fell. I guess playing conkers is banned or there is an app to play it on line nowadays. I would have paid an extortionate fee to have gone to a school with conker trees.

I was somewhat bemused and jealous that the school had horse chestnut trees its grounds and they were just lying scattered on the ground, ignored and unloved. In my day we would have camped out underneath them to catch them as they fell. I guess playing conkers is banned or there is an app to play it on line nowadays. I would have paid an extortionate fee to have gone to a school with conker trees.

We played a few times but we had, you know, girls.

il gatto wrote: »
    We played a few times but we had, you know, girls.

I was never particularly interested in girls, however several were interested in me many times, which was fun, Kestrel lager was my particular attraction at the time. The more intellectual amongst us preferring weed.

I was never particularly interested in girls, however several were interested in me many times, which was fun, Kestrel lager was my particular attraction at the time. The more intellectual amongst us preferring weed.

Too much will control the ould intellectualism alright. They prescribe it for severe bouts of it.
    "Did anyone see that documentary about the enlightenment on BBC last night? Smoke this. OK.............Jaysus. I'd murder a Big 4 right now. See if Soith Park is on."

Indeed so. My most interesting and open minded teachers were pot smokers. The rest of the nuns we suspect were barely functioning alcoholics. Nearly all of them had some sort of personality disorder.

Any feedback/reviews appreciated. Thank you.

Oh yes. Feedback. it's a good school set in nice grounds with some horse chestnut trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I just think this is a wonderfully delightful post, I wish if the worst of our problems was being able to choose a school with conker trees. I hate getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

A good school, i know some of the alumni and they're thoroughly decent people and the boarders seemed to be very independent as young adults which you can understand being away at a young age. plenty of people far from rich in there too. an asset to sligo and adds to the choices in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

I was a boarder there for 6 years and I was pretty independent by the time I went to college. It wasn't perfect and probably still isn't but its a unique experience. Where else would you get punishments like essays on the inside of a rice Krispie, or the green carpet in the first year dorm. In general terms, I would rate the Teaching and facilities as having been above average, supervised study made sure I did all my homework, and living with a load of girls could be a blast or a nightmare. I'm glad I went though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

Don't send your kid to the Grammar. I'm a past pupil of Summerhill and myself and a group of my mates were hanging out down town close to Rockwood Parade one afternoon, minding our own business.
    Next thing we knew we were set upon by Grammar thugs who dangled us from the railings, scaring us half to death.
    Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

mosstin wrote: »
    Next thing we knew we were set upon by Grammar thugs who dangled us from the railings, scaring us half to death.
    Avoid.

...and once upon a time I had my feelings hurt by some Ursuline girls!

Yet another ridiculous thread in the Sligo Forum populated by dumbass bile spewing pr1cks with enormous chips on their shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

...and once upon a time I had my feelings hurt by some Ursuline girls!

Yet another ridiculous thread in the Sligo Forum populated by dumbass bile spewing pricks with enormous chips on their shoulders.

Read the thread, wind your neck in and chill the **** out.

mosstin wrote: »
    Read the thread, wind your neck in and chill the **** out.

Very chilled out but find it ridiculously sad that so many here seem to delight in knocking Sligo, it's people and/or features based on their own narrow minded opinion and validated by chips on their shoulders carried since childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Very chilled out but find it ridiculously sad that so many here seem to delight in knocking Sligo, it's people and/or features based on their own narrow minded opinion and validated by chips on their shoulders carried since childhood.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that does not give you liberty to call people names. Don't post like your previous post again please.

Kovu

Kovu wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that does not give you liberty to call people names. Don't post like your previous post again please.

Kovu

Everyone may be entitled to their opinions but if they are wrong and air them publicly then they deserve to be called out on them.
    I did not call out everyone that contributed here just some that did, namely those that responded in a pathetically childish manner..... School for rich Protestants etc, this in itself is nonsense and insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Everyone may be entitled to their opinions but if they are wrong and air them publicly then they deserve to be called out on them.
    I did not call out everyone that contributed here just some that did, namely those that responded in a pathetically childish manner..... School for rich Protestants etc, this in itself is nonsense and insulting.

Calling them out on it? You attacked posters instead of arguing the point. Try giving your own opinion and explaining why others are incorrect instead of insulting people. Do not reply to this on thread, why try giving your opinion on the school.

Kovu

Advertisement