Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours extension

Options
  • 08-07-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Is there any way I can check if a neighbours extension (being built at the moment) complies with planning regulations. I know it's less than 40sqm but it is very high and pretty much right up against against our boundary.

When they said they were building, we thought it would slope down same as the existing sunroom, but across the full width of the back of the house, but they have knocked this and gone out a good distance along our boundary at the level of the highest point in the old sunroom if that makes sense . It looks like it will block a lot of light into our kitchen and garden. Is there any way to get this looked at or clear guidelines as to what they're allowed to do without planning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Once it is within the 40ft rule then they can build away. There is no right to light that was an old law that existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thinkydink

As far as I'd be aware your neighbours are allowed, without planing permission to build up to 40sqm, as long as they are leaving a percentage of their garden in tact.

To build without planning, it must be single story but that can still be fairly large up to around the first floor level plus parapet could be 3m.

as to the boundary as long as they stay inside their boundary yet again this would comply, just try to be aware of their foundations and that they don't move over to your side (including under your side of any boundary wall) or impact any boundary walls without consent (as you would be part owner of that wall if shared) The act that covers that is Land and Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

Yeah it looks like its going to be up to just under their first floor windows. Seems mad that with such small gardens in most houses these days that you just stick something like this up.
    We had been considering buying our house from our landlord, think we'll hold fire until we see the end result

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

farrerg wrote: »
    Yeah it looks like its going to be up to just under their first floor windows. Seems mad that with such small gardens in most houses these days that you just stick something like this up.
    We had been considering buying our house from our landlord, think we'll hold fire until we see the end result

They must have 25 Sq. M of rear garden left after the extension to comply.
    The height cannot exceed 3m for a flat roof or 4m for a pitched roof.

Can you throw up a pic?

Hopefully this works

• Advertisement

Hopefully this works

Looks quite high. What's the finish being used?
    Could do with a few more pics looking back at it though.

If you are concerned you could email planning enforcement of your local council and they will come out and measure it and ensure it complies with planning regulations.

Don't want to put up anything too identifiable, is it possible to PM pics? Couldn't work out how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thinkydink

just from the first image you posted that looks about legal on the height to first floor level and an extra bit to form the parapet, the only concern that I'd say you (or the property owner would have) is that if that is built on a standard floating foundation then the foundation needs to be three times the width of the wall to allow for load (the wall sitting centre on it) so that looks like they may have dug under your boundary.

Other than that I don't think you would have any case against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

kceire wrote: »

Can you throw up a pic?

Why the rule on the amount of garden left?

PucaMama wrote: »
    Why the rule on the amount of garden left?

Planning and development Act.

I presume it's so you can't simply cover the entire site with a solid structure.

• Advertisement

Don't want to put up anything too identifiable, is it possible to PM pics? Couldn't work out how to do it.

Yeah you should be able to PM them too.

thinkydink wrote: »
    just from the first image you posted that looks about legal on the height to first floor level and an extra bit to form the parapet, the only concern that I'd say you (or the property owner would have) is that if that is built on a standard floating foundation then the foundation needs to be three times the width of the wall to allow for load (the wall sitting centre on it) so that looks like they may have dug under your boundary.

Other than that I don't think you would have any case against it.

It depends, what most builders will do is expose the boundary wall foundation on their side and pour new foundations and underpin the boundary wall foundation.

They will then build the rising wall from the new foundation.
    I wouldn't be worried about it structurally as long as it was done correctly. The 3T rule should never replace the advice from an engineer after inspecting the ground conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Your very lucky you are only renting.

That monstrosity will knock many thousands off the value of your house.

At least you can move and you are better off not having neighbors that would erect anything as inconsiderate as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Can you throw up a pic?

The front garden can make up the 25m

Edit: I'm wrong it's just the back garden

Hopefully this works

That's a very odd finish, call your landlord and get him to have a look at it. I'd expect a a courtesy call from my tenant if a neighbour was extending

ted1 wrote: »
    That's a very odd finish, call your landlord and get him to have a look at it. I'd expect a a courtesy call from my tenant if a neighbour was extending

We told him as soon as they mentioned it, but he didn't seem too concerned, he might be when he sees what they're putting up though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

My planing application stated that the front garden didnt count, we were refused for it

Murt10 wrote: »
    Your very lucky you are only renting.

That monstrosity will knock many thousands off the value of your house.

At least you can move and you are better off not having neighbors that would erect anything as inconsiderate as that.

I know, they made it sound like they were just going across the back as a lot of houses have done, but this is much higher and longer.
    It'll essentially block what little sunlight there was as its a north west facing garden

Might be a better pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd be very surprised if that's in compliance. I'm also dubious of the 25M2 including the front garden but to be fair to Ted I haven't looked it up so I stand to be corrected. Looks like there's very little room at the back of it.

Get on to the local planning office ASAP.

• Advertisement

The front garden CANNOT make up the 25 Sq. M.
    No argument, the 25 Sq. M has to be private open space to the rear of the building line, and it has to be useable ie. your side passage way doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

christ, it looks like a pillbox
    Unless there is a large amount of garden to the side not seen, then there hardly looks to be 25sq m left.
    This doesnt make me feel too bad, a neighbour put up a monstrosity of a structure which effectively covers a lot of their garden.
    I also thought planning permissions included noise, hours to finish work by as we had non stop noise and some instances of vibration to the point dashing would fall off our opposite external walls, I was concerned if the work was done to any standard and how it affected our structure, but if anything ever comes of it, it'll be them thats hung out if they're not by the book, it went on for ages as work was done, more than a year.

Might be a better pic

That looks way over the limits with regards to exempted development but to be fair, I cannot see the other side to try judge the open space left.

Also I'd be curious to to see a u-value calculation through the walls to see if the meet Part L of the Building Regulations.

That looks way over the limits with regards to exempted development but to be fair, I cannot see the other side to try judge the open space left.

Also I'd be curious to to see a u-value calculation through the walls to see if the meet Part L of the Building Regulations.

Does that include a barna shed? looks like theres one in the corner which indicates where the other side of the property is, even if there is 25m sq left over which it doesnt look like, can something like that be allowed stand?

It's not quite as long on the far side, but if they do have 25sqm, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. It's the height more than anything that seems mad. I wouldn't be happy if I was in the house backing onto them either.

cerastes wrote: »
    Does that include a barna shed? looks like theres one in the corner which indicates where the other side of the property is, even if there is 25m sq left over which it doesnt look like, can something like that be allowed stand?

It depends. If it was a brick built shed, no you can't count the garden area under it.
    If it's a timber garden shed, then technically it's removable and you can discount the shed in the area calculation as if it wasn't there, the home owner could erect one the day after getting his exemption certificate.

It really depends on the Planning Enforcement Officers view when they visit the site in question. I know a couple that allow the timber garden sheds and I know one or two that don't allow them as they cover useable space.

I think if it came down to it the owner could remove the shed, the file be closed and then the owner could bring it back in the next day in theory.

It depends. If it was a brick built shed, no you can't count the garden area under it.
    If it's a timber garden shed, then technically it's removable and you can discount the shed in the area calculation as if it wasn't there, the home owner could erect one the day after getting his exemption certificate.

It really depends on the Planning Enforcement Officers view when they visit the site in question. I know a couple that allow the timber garden sheds and I know one or two that don't allow them as they cover useable space.

I think if it came down to it the owner could remove the shed, the file be closed and then the owner could bring it back in the next day in theory.

Just curious really, but it suggests where the garden goes to, I really didnt think you could build in that manner though, it looks out of place, the cladding material? edit, its blocks is dark and its very imposing on the garden beside it, where the OP lives.
    Could they be asked to take it down? If I lived there, I know its difficult to broach, but I think Id have to have a word when the extension structure is so permanent looking, its not like its an almost completely transparent sun room? cant think of what they call them.
    It's not quite as long on the far side, but if they do have 25sqm, it'll be by the skin of their teeth. It's the height more than anything that seems mad. I wouldn't be happy if I was in the house backing onto them either.

Thats what I think is so imposing about it, but it does seem to cover a lot of area in the garden too.
    Even if I was letting that out as a landlord, Id have a lot to say, maybe even more, its got to reduce the desireability for any potential purchaser.
    As for the OP, lucky they dont own, like living beside a prison wall.

It's some height , if there 9 inch blocks that's About 40 inches above the window. Are they self building?

cerastes wrote: »
    Just curious really, but it suggests where the garden goes to, I really didnt think you could build in that manner though, it looks out of place, the cladding material? is dark and its very imposing on the garden beside it, where the OP lives.
    Could they be asked to take it down? If I lived there, I know its difficult to broach, but I think Id have to have a word when the extension structure is so permanent looking, its not like its an almost completely transparent sun room? cant think of what they call them.

Thats what I think is so imposing about it, but it does seem to cover a lot of area in the garden too.
    Even if I was letting that out as a landlord, Id have a lot to say, maybe even more, its got to reduce the desireability for any potential purchaser.
    As for the OP, lucky they dont own, like living beside a prison wall.

I don't think it's removal could be justified as long as it's a valid building material that's fit for purpose. It's on the neighbours property so the OP can't really say anything just because they don't like the look of it (I don't like it either btw).

I certainly would be talking to the neighbour or at least make a complaint to planning enforcement. Your details remain confidential throughout.
    Are they self building?

Don't see the relevance?

• Advertisement

It's some height , if there 9 inch blocks that's About 40 inches above the window. Are they self building?

Nope builders here, had stopped yesterday at what seemed a reasonable height, got some shock today when they started adding more blocks

Advertisement