Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours extension

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I dont see how anyone would chance doing something like that with a neighbour beside them, they'd have good reason to dislike due to imposing or shadowing them, whether its allowed or not, potentially oppose it and have it either demanded to be removed or reduced, even if its allowed they must have no consideration or clue about how it appears from other peoples perspective.
    Im sure it could easily lead to disputes.
    If there isnt 25sq m left can they just be told to cut it back so there is 25 sq m left or would they be told to take the lot down?

You'd think someone would be floating the plans to neighbours to ensure they arent opposed to it, or is it just a case of lash it up and hope they dont complain as its too late??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kceire wrote: »

Don't see the relevance?

Inexperienced owners going that little bit higher.
    You'd expect a seasoned pro to do a better job

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont see how anyone would chance doing something like that with a neighbour beside them, they'd have good reason to dislike due to imposing or shadowing them, whether its allowed or not, potentially oppose it and have it either demanded to be removed or reduced, even if its allowed they must have no consideration or clue about how it appears from other peoples perspective.
    If there isnt 25sq m left can they just be told to cut it back so there is 25 sq m left or would they be told to take the lot down?

They would get 3 options from the council :

1. Remove the structure.
    2. Reduce the size of the structure so that 25 Sq. M of garden remains.
    3. Apply for Retention Permission for the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

farrerg wrote: »
    Hopefully this works

I can't believe they don't need PP to erect that eyesore! Are they going to pebble-dash the wall on your side to blend in?.... If I was you I'd send off that photo to the planning department.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

You'd think someone would be floating the plans to neighbours to ensure they arent opposed to it, or is it just a case of lash it up and hope they dont complain as its too late??

I'm assuming they know we're renting so don't really care but I agree, knowing it will block all the light and going ahead anyway takes some neck

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Inexperienced owners going that little bit higher.
    You'd expect a seasoned pro to do a better job

Yeah possible. I've seen it before. Home owners and the builders having no clue about planning restrictions.

The house next to them is rented, they probably guess that the tenants can't say anything / don't care

I can't believe they don't need PP to erect that eyesore! Are they going to pebble-dash the wall on your side to blend in?.... If I was you I'd send off that photo to the planning department.

I presume they will, it's only just gone up in the last day or two and we haven't seen them around at all. I think I'll send them off to the landlord first and see what he wants to do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You're landlord won't be happy if possible buyers will be put off buying , it's going to knock off thousands of € off the value, unless he/she's in NE and doesn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I presume they will, it's only just gone up in the last day or two and we haven't seen them around at all. I think I'll send them off to the landlord first and see what he wants to do

Its decent enough for you to send the landlord the pictures and inform otherwise they'd never know, or might only see the completed project.
    Id be astonished if the landlord couldnt see how this affects their property, personally I think you're right to notice but you're lucky in a way also being tenants as you dont have to put up with it. Although you did mention buying off the landlord, if there was some discussion of that with the landlord, you might be able to get the landlord to oppose it now in your interest if you want that, if there was a plan/discussion around possibly purchasing, that way you're off the hook for complainign if you do purchase.

Hard to see how the owner of this monstrosity would voluntarily row back and reduce it now.
    Some recent advice regarding pictures might be good.
    Unless you arent buying in which case Id pass on the info and not pay too much heed, least it shouldnt be a worry as you lose no value now, lucky you hadnt already purchased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Thank god you're renting OP. That is absolutely hideous :(

Is your landlord going to come over and have a look? I'd have conniptions if that went up beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Keep us updated OP. That structure is a complete eyesore and I think the planning department would be on your side.
    People can be so ignorant and self involved sometimes. Raise hell with the planning office if you have to, worst case senario is you find some place else to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tommer

Would getting a local councillor to bring attention to the planning department help you, i think it's disgusting that people can try get away with such arrogance

Might they wrap it in external insulation ? At least it's eliminate the ugly red brick

seamusk84 wrote: »
    Keep us updated OP. That structure is a complete eyesore and I think the planning department would be on your side.
    People can be so ignorant and self involved sometimes. Raise hell with the planning office if you have to, worst case senario is you find some place else to rent.

I'll definitely keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Might they wrap it in external insulation ? At least it's eliminate the ugly red brick

Why would you use external insulation on a new-build? It seems from the picture that there's a cavity for insulation. As others have said, that's a seriously ugly and out-of-place finish and it's very bad form not to have informed you (or the landlord) of their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

For it to be exempt from PP under the 40sqm rule it needs to be 2m from the boundaries, this butts up to one so would no longe be exempt? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Zadkiel wrote: »
    For it to be exempt from PP under the 40sqm rule it needs to be 2m from the boundaries, this butts up to one so would no longe be exempt? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, you are wrong ;)
    At ground floor level, you can go right to the boundary aslong as the new works, including any facia, gutters etc are kept on your property.

If the neighbour had approached the adjoining home owner, you can even knowck the boundary wall and build up on the centre line with both parties in agreement.

The boundary location is a civil matter and the council will not get involved.

The outer leaf is not suitable for external insulation, and there would not be enough space to adequately place it between the wall and the boundary. Also, as noted above, the cavity in there for it to be filled with insulation. I guess that terracotta finish is there to stay.
    tommer wrote: »
    Would getting a local councillor to bring attention to the planning department help you, i think it's disgusting that people can try get away with such arrogance

No need, a complaint in writing or by email from the OP or the landlord to the Planning Enforcement Section carries the same weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Sorry, you are wrong ;)
    At ground floor level, you can go right to the boundary aslong as the new works, including any facia, gutters etc are kept on your property.

If the neighbour had approached the adjoining home owner, you can even knowck the boundary wall and build up on the centre line with both parties in agreement.

The boundary location is a civil matter and the council will not get involved.

The outer leaf is not suitable for external insulation, and there would not be enough space to adequately place it between the wall and the boundary. Also, as noted above, the cavity in there for it to be filled with insulation. I guess that terracotta finish is there to stay.

No need, a complaint in writing or by email from the OP or the landlord to the Planning Enforcement Section carries the same weight.

Thanks KC, that's much clearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I wouldn't be bothered about the finish or anything else, but those gardens look microscopic. That extension is way out of proportion with what remains of the site. I doubt they even had 25m2 to begin with.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I wouldn't be bothered about the finish or anything else, but those gardens look microscopic. That extension is way out of proportion with what remains of the site. I doubt they even had 25m2 to begin with.

They deffo had 25 Sq M to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My neighbour did something similar - build a flat-roof extention right out to the boundary wall, leaving a tiny square that would just about hold a wheelie bin as the remainder of the "garden" (which wouldn't have been 25 sq m to start with in fairness).

I objected on the basis that it would (and does) block the sun from early afternoon, and overshadows my garden (it doesn't overlook it, no windows to the side). His extension was built on the dividing wall, with my eventual consent.

I'm sure there were other grounds but I can't remember them off the top of my head, it was a good few years ago.

I got nowhere with my objections.

Having said that, he rendered the wall that faces into my garden and painted it to match everything else, and cleaned up the mess he/they made.

That extension is HIDEOUS. I'd be going mad about it, on all sorts of levels. Definitely at least consult the planning authorities.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I objected on the basis that it would (and does) block the sun from early afternoon, and overshadows my garden (it doesn't overlook it, no windows to the side). His extension was built on the dividing wall, with my eventual consent.

I got nowhere with my objections.

We have no right to light in this country, thats why the objections went nowhere.

As long as the neighbour complies with the exempted development regulations, theres not alot adjoining property owners can do, as effectively, you can do the same in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I know, they made it sound like they were just going across the back as a lot of houses have done, but this is much higher and longer.
    It'll essentially block what little sunlight there was as its a north west facing garden

You have my sympathy and you are very lucky you are only renting! This would also set a president and the people on the other side could do the same!

Be careful when you do buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Do thé regs not differ in different parts of the country ? That looks like a very big extension. Doesnt look like much garden left

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They must have 25 Sq. M of rear garden left after the extension to comply.
    The height cannot exceed 3m for a flat roof or 4m for a pitched roof.

Is there a minimum angle the pitch needs to be? It looks like the height of bricks is already over 3m but less than 4. Can you stick a barely pitched roof on top and call it within the regs?

Is there a minimum angle the pitch needs to be? It looks like the height of bricks is already over 3m but less than 4. Can you stick a barely pitched roof on top and call it within the regs?

Ok, i have to hold my hands up here.
    The 4m and 3m height restrictions are for domestic sheds.

For a domestic extension at ground floor level, there are no height restrictions to be exempt, once the blockwork doesnt go higher than eaves level (the gutter on your roof).
    Do thé regs not differ in different parts of the country ? That looks like a very big extension. Doesnt look like much garden left

The Planning & Development Act is national, so the regs are the same in Dublin as they are in Cork.

The local enforcement dept already responded to my email and asked me to complete a form with details. They then send a warning letter, essentially a shot across the bow to say if you are chancing your arm, we're watching you so think again, then they give 4 weeks for response, then they'll do an inspection.

I expect it's all above board, if incredibly annoying, but at least it might give them a fright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I hope they plan on a flat roof as a sloping one with gutters would certainly cross the boundary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I hope they plan on a flat roof as a sloping one with gutters would certainly cross the boundary.

It looks like there's sufficient space for a gutter there, without crossing the boundary.

Advertisement