Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours extension

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I hope they plan on a flat roof as a sloping one with gutters would certainly cross the boundary.
    alastair wrote: »
    It looks like there's sufficient space for a gutter there, without crossing the boundary.

They could also be building a parapet type wall with the roof and valley type gutter on their side of the wall.

OP, glad you contacted the Plan Enf section. Hopefully it's a good outcome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The second photo is a little misleading with the tree in the neighbours back garden, on the ops side it looks like the remaining length of the back garden is four of the fence panels. If they are two metres wide each that's 8 metres depth left and the width is certainly more than the threeish metres needed to have 25 square metres remaining

Op is the remaing garden four panels to the back and how wide are they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

farrerg wrote: »
    I expect it's all above board, if incredibly annoying, but at least it might give them a fright :)

Why would you want to give them a fright if it's all above board ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

whupdedo wrote: »
    Why would you want to give them a fright if it's all above board ?

There's a fine line between being above board and an inconsiderate prick.
    Most neighbours building an extension will pop in discuss plans and try to accommodate their neighbours. The height of that extension and the choice if finish shows no consideration.

Stheno wrote: »
    The second photo is a little misleading with the tree in the neighbours back garden, on the ops side it looks like the remaining length of the back garden is four of the fence panels. If they are two metres wide each that's 8 metres depth left and the width is certainly more than the threeish metres needed to have 25 square metres remaining

Op is the remaing garden four panels to the back and how wide are they?

I count 2 panels only. They are usually 1.8m in width.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kceire wrote: »

Look on OPs side, not the side with the tree. There are at least three if not four the end of the garden is unclear. If there are even three each side, and another three at the back, then at 1.8m in width that's a total square metres of 29.16 metres

OP can clarify :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭tommer

We have no right to light in this country, thats why the objections went nowhere.

As long as the neighbour complies with the exempted development regulations, theres not alot adjoining property owners can do, as effectively, you can do the same in the future.

Where can I find details on no right to light? Am in similar situation with a neighbour , I need to put a fence up for privacy

tommer wrote: »
    Where can I find details on no right to light? Am in similar situation with a neighbour , I need to put a fence up for privacy

There are no details. If the neighbour is in compliance with their planning permission or comply with the exempted rules there's not a lot that can be done.

Your fence also comes under the planning regulations with regards to height. Rear garden and front garden have different allowable heights. (1200mm & 2000mm IIRC). You might want to confirm that it's not 1800mm though just to cover yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This is about trees but applies to extensions also. http://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

A tree outside my house blocks the light in my garden, do I have a right to light?
    Right to light is a specific and complex legal matter and you should seek independent advice on this. A right to light exists only if the owner of a house can satisfy a court that he or she has enjoyed the uninterrupted use of that light for a period of greater than 20 years, before any legal action is brought about the light. This however, only applies to the windows of a property and not to a garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There are no details. If the neighbour is in compliance with their planning permission or comply with the exempted rules there's not a lot that can be done.

Your fence also comes under the planning regulations with regards to height. Rear garden and front garden have different allowable heights. (1200mm & 2000mm IIRC). You might want to confirm that it's not 1800mm though just to cover yourself.

Is there a technical difference for planning between a Wall and a Fence? RE: http://www.justanswer.com/ireland-law/5jxb2-height-restrictions-front-garden-fencing.html#re.v/175/

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Is there a technical difference for planning between a Wall and a Fence? RE: http://www.justanswer.com/ireland-law/5jxb2-height-restrictions-front-garden-fencing.html#re.v/175/

Technically there is a difference obviously but the fences can't go higher the max height permitted either.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

2 and a bit panels past the end of the extension, but the extension is L shaped so on the other side they have more space, and our garden is 2 and a half across the back

LL drove up and called into them yesterday looking for drawings and pretty much demanding they put a better finish on our side. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Other neighbours and even the builders have all sympathised with us over the new addition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

2 and a bit panels past the end of the extension, but the extension is L shaped so on the other side they have more space, and our garden is 2 and a half across the back

LL drove up and called into them yesterday looking for drawings and pretty much demanding they put a better finish on our side. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Other neighbours and even the builders have all sympathised with us over the new addition

While the finish doesn't look suitable, I think the height is the problem, given its so imposing.

cerastes wrote: »
    While the finish doesn't look suitable, I think the height is the problem, given its so imposing.

The height is within exempted development rules though and on the adjoining property. Nothing can be done about that if the areas work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

If the roof was a hipped shape going down to a lower height wall, I don't think it would be as bad, just a wall like that it's like being in a prison yard.

The height is within exempted development rules though and on the adjoining property. Nothing can be done about that if the areas work out.

Update - they agreed to take down 2 courses of brick on our side, stepping it back in a metre, then returning to the original height. That made a bit of a difference (although not huge) until they put in the massive raised skylights that they are putting into the flat roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Update - they agreed to take down 2 courses of brick on our side, stepping it back in a metre, then returning to the original height. That made a bit of a difference (although not huge) until they put in the massive raised skylights that they are putting into the flat roof!

Have you contacted planning enforcement?
    Any progress there?

At least they are engaging with you now.
    cocoman wrote: »
    Any progress there?

+1
    Would like to hear if there was any update on this. But remember there's a process that Plan Enf must take.

They receive complaint.
    The write to the adjoining property owner with the alleged complaint.
    They give them 4 weeks to reply or arrange an inspection with an inspector.
    The inspector the rules of its compliant or not.

cocoman wrote: »
    Any progress there?

Nothing yet, I'd imagine it'll take a while for the process to run its course

Advertisement