Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV & WIFI

Options
  • 08-07-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I have setup a wireless IP camera on my home network. Here is the camera

http://www.lightinthebox.com/cam-outdoor-waterproof-wireless-ip-camera-m-jpeg-support-iphone-night-vision_p268442.html

My network layout is as follows with the camera using wireless as opposed to a LAN cable. The problem I have is the significant drop in broadband speed from the first router as outlined below. I can only get a maximum of 2Mbps from it as opposed to the other one where I can get 12Mbps and it is connected through powerline Ethernet adapters.

Any ideas as to how I can get speeds back up on the first router? Surely the CCTV footage is been transmitted internally on the LAN network and shouldn't result in a drop of WIFI speed?

Without the camera connected I can get approximately 12Mbps at both WIFI points

Untitled.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I have setup a wireless IP camera on my home network. Here is the camera

http://www.lightinthebox.com/cam-outdoor-waterproof-wireless-ip-camera-m-jpeg-support-iphone-night-vision_p268442.html

My network layout is as follows with the camera using wireless as opposed to a LAN cable. The problem I have is the significant drop in broadband speed from the first router as outlined below. I can only get a maximum of 2Mbps from it as opposed to the other one where I can get 12Mbps and it is connected through powerline Ethernet adapters.

Any ideas as to how I can get speeds back up on the first router? Surely the CCTV footage is been transmitted internally on the LAN network and shouldn't result in a drop of WIFI speed?

Untitled.png

Is the Eircom router 802.11n or 802.11ac?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Second WIFI router (12Mbps) is Neotopia and first router (2Mbps) is Eircom D1000 but not sure if 802.11n or 802.11ac. I would have to check

Second WIFI router (12Mbps) is Neotopia and first router (2Mbps) is Eircom D1000 but not sure if 802.11n or 802.11ac. I would have to check

So you are complaining about getting slow speed and you just told me one of your routers is only capable of 2Mbps. Id say thats your problem right there.

syklops wrote: »
    So you are complaining about getting slow speed and you just told me one of your routers is only capable of 2Mbps. Id say thats your problem right there.
    No I outlined that I am only getting 2Mbps from it when camera is connected and transferring to NAS. Without CCTV and NAS I can get approximately 12Mbps. The router is capable of 150Mbps on wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

No I outlined that I am only getting 2Mbps from it when camera is connected and transferring to NAS. Without CCTV and NAS I can get approximately 12Mbps. The router is capable of 150Mbps on wireless.

Your question is hard to understand. A 0.3mp camera won't need more than 2mbps bandwidth so it won't deliver more than that rate to the NAS. The eircom d1000 isn't a great router. I can only get maximum 15mbps when I'm standing over it on a 100mbps connection and no other devices are connected to it.

If the 2mbps you're talking about is the bandwidth available to other devices while the camera is connected, it's likely the camera is swamping the router since it is a continuous feed. WiFi isn't a good way to connect CCTV as the data stream is continuous.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Yes that is correct, other devices are only getting a maximum of 2Mbps from the first router when the CCTV is connected. Unfortunately it is not physically possible to chard wire the camera to the router so that's the only reason I use WIFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get another powerline adapter with wifi and place it near the camera and connect only the camera to it. The it won't lock down an in use access point.

Or you could set up QoS if the netopia supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

syklops wrote: »
    Or you could set up QoS if the netopia supports it.

Nope. Its flooding his WLAN, QoS cannot help there.

Thanks all for reply. Plan for the weekend is to move 2nd router into the attic try run a CAT5 cable directly into it. Will report back

• Advertisement

Ok so I have an additional Eircom Netopia router that I'm going to use as a cheap switch. Does the setup below look realistic? As you can see I am adding a second IP camera for surveillance. Hopefully hard wiring the first camera will improve the WIFI from Router 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

A cheap switch, a cheapo ethernet switch is about a fiver, cheapskate :D

Just a quick update. I hardwired the CCTV directly to second router and issues with poor wireless have disappeared.

Advertisement