Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP vs rent supplement

• 08-07-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Do you know where to go to complaint about HAP (not welfare, not Housing)? My mother is getting rent allowance, she have to move from it to HAP, but the landlord says no. Her RS will end this month and she cannot stay on it.....because she suppose to get HAP. I tried to convince him, but there is no discussion. He won't sign any papers, he must prove tax payments, some other papers etc, so basically it's too much hustle :(
    How is this helpful for people who are living with long term illness? My mom won't back to work.
    I tried to find new place, but all of the landlords say no to HAP.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tipprobb

roxana wrote: »
    Do you know where to go to complaint about HAP (not welfare, not Housing)? My mother is getting rent allowance, she have to move from it to HAP, but the landlord says no. Her RS will end this month and she cannot stay on it.....because she suppose to get HAP. I tried to convince him, but there is no discussion. He won't sign any papers, he must prove tax payments, some other papers etc, so basically it's too much hustle :(
    How is this helpful for people who are living with long term illness? My mom won't back to work.
    I tried to find new place, but all of the landlords say no to HAP.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Roxana, HAP is administered by the Local Authority. Contact them and ask about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

To be honest there's not a lot she can do ,
    The landlord can't be forced to accept hap too much paperwork ? Surely if he's completed the paperwork for rent supplement its more of the same if he's properly registered with the ptrb ,
    Which he would have to be to already,

Your only real option is find another property that accepts hap as it stands council housing lists have fairly long waits as it is ,

You should contact citizens advice or threshold for advice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

The landlord actually benefits from HAP. The rent money goes straight to him and you pay your bit to the council. His paper work would be the exact same as rent allowance and it's a 2 year contract which cannot be broken unless you get a council house. Don't see why he's refusing. Does he have all the details of HAP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ceecee14 wrote: »
    The landlord actually benefits from HAP. The rent money goes straight to him and you pay your bit to the council. His paper work would be the exact same as rent allowance and it's a 2 year contract which cannot be broken unless you get a council house/quote]

Your considered housed once your on the scheme and your taken off the housing list
    Rent limits are the same as rental supplements so it not as beneficial to landlords as its made out

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

I could go to Citizen, but all they do now is reading the website, which I have opened & read already. Lady from City Council wasn't helpful as much as welfare officer, who told me that I have no angle to fix it. It must be they way, so really there is nothing I could do. My poor mom was getting a staggering amount of money every week: 12e, so... oh well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement