Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Edward Square

Options
  • 08-07-2015 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I was in there today and noticed that the doors were closed on the Edward Square entrance to the drapery department.

What is the purpose of this?

It'll surely have a knock on affect to other businesses with the footfall dropping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dunnes owe the landlord over €1m in rent and service charges. Having not found favour in the Supreme Court, this is how they've chosen to deal with the matter.

God, between that and the conditions that led to the strikes, why are they still in business & Clery's out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I remember bringing up the rent that Edward Sq tenants paid on boards before
    Dunnes signed an upwards-only lease in 2000 at a rent of €730k pa, due to rise to about €888k in 2012 http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/dunnes-iron-lady-prepares-to-show-her-metal-with-another-landlord-scrap-1.1517484
    Others were higher per square metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

God, between that and the conditions that led to the strikes, why are they still in business & Clery's out?

Because they're giving people who spend 50 a ten euro voucher and it seems that a tenner is the price it takes for the average Irish person to sell out their commitment to workers rights. Profits in Dunnes have actually risen since the boycott was called.

As regards Edward Square they pulled a similarly bullish stunt in Gorey in May where they had negotiated a lease on the basis that the entrance to the store would be inside a shopping centre where it would be the flagship tenant. Then they built their own separate entrance opening onto the carpark robbing the centre of footfall. A court injunction was got to stop them using their independent entrance so they abruptly shut the store for days with no official notice to staff as to why in the hope of bullying the shopping centre owner into backing down.

Seems they've cottoned on that they've plenty leverage to blackmail where they please and can do what they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Seems they've cottoned on that they've plenty leverage to blackmail where they please and can do what they like.

They/she have/has been doing that for decades, but previously it was only the staff who were bullied. Hopefully the people she is dealing with now will use their resources to put her in the place she rightfully belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya Dunnes in 'being c***s' shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

. Profits in Dunnes have actually risen since the boycott was called.

How can you know that? Are the not an unlimited company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

They have opened another entrance just outside the supermarket that takes you to HMV........its really not that hard guys....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya know, if anything this makes me want to visit HMV, Cara Pharmacy, Warehouse, Psacal Coffee House(*) etc .. all the other retailers who are being hurt by Dunnes actions, just out of spite to Dunnes.

(*) These guys might be winning, there's also a door into Corbett Court beside them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wonder if the City Fire Officer has an opinion on Dunnes locking a potential fire exit. I wonder if this entrance / exit was earmarked in the original plans as a fire exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

?Cee?view wrote: »
    How can you know that? Are the not an unlimited company?

I shouldn't have said profits, I meant their market share. Their market share has increased in the second quarter, the months when the boycott was called for by staff.
    Increased market share may or may not translate to increased profit, I'd say it probably does.
    Not much for the Irish people to be to proud of in my opinion.

Latest grocery market share figures for the 12 weeks to June 21 from consumer insights agency Kantar Worldpanel show Dunnes to be the big mover in the period.

Its 6.3% increase in till sales followed a 4.1% year-on-year jump in the preceding 12-week period. Furthermore, the market share of Dunnes has crept up from 21.9% in May to 22.2% last month.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/kantar-worldpanel-dunnes-rivalling-aldi-and-lidl-for-grocery-sale-growth-341099.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

dilallio wrote: »
    I wonder if the City Fire Officer has an opinion on Dunnes locking a potential fire exit. I wonder if this entrance / exit was earmarked in the original plans as a fire exit.

If it's a fire exit then I'm sure in the case of a fire it will be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

It must remain openable and unlocked / unrestricted at all times that the premises is open to the public. What people don't realise is the Fire Officer has the power to close you on the spot in the event that he discovers a serious breach or hazard and can keep you closed until the issue is resolved.

Westy

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Pascal Coffee House(*)

(*) These guys might be winning, there's also a door into Corbett Court beside them too.

I was just thinking the other day that since those Dunnes doors have shut I've gone into that cafe much more frequently than I ever have before.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

westgolf wrote: »
    It must remain openable and unlocked / unrestricted at all times that the premises is open to the public. What people don't realise is the Fire Officer has the power to close you on the spot in the event that he discovers a serious breach or hazard and can keep you closed until the issue is resolved.

Westy

True & it should be enforced immediately. These bully boy tactics shouldn't be allowed to happen. As an external door to the premises I would be surprised if this isn't classed as a fire/emergency exit that should be operational & free at all times. It's not good enough to say that it will open in the event of a fire. Surely the Eyre Square management should have enforced this long ago? &, if ineffectual, called in the Fire Officer to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

Delicia wrote: »
    True & it should be enforced immediately. These bully boy tactics shouldn't be allowed to happen. As an external door to the premises I would be surprised if this isn't classed as a fire/emergency exit that should be operational & free at all times. It's not good enough to say that it will open in the event of a fire. Surely the Eyre Square management should have enforced this long ago? &, if ineffectual, called in the Fire Officer to do so?

From the point of view of locking a door this is madness that it's allowed to be done as it's plainly a health and safety risk. But does this simply not paint the company for what they are, that been bullies?
    If I walk into Dunnes and refuse to pay for a bar of chocolate that has gone up in price but still want to eat it what would happen to me? Probably have half of mill street garden station down on me

if in fact it is a designated fire exit, it only needs to be a functional exit in the event of a fire.

a fire exit doesn't mean you should be able to open it from the outside and enter it willy nilly, nor does a fire exit need to be able to be used as a 'regular' exit.

so, for all anyone knows, it is living up to its role as a fire exit - IF it is in fact a designated fire exit. If you want to speculate, go in to Dunnes and approach the doors from the inside and see if there's a means of opening it in the event of a fire.

better yet ask a member of staff what the policy is re: the doors and fires.

until then, pipe down maybe ?

or ring the fire officer if you're so concerned.

SameHorse wrote: »
    if in fact it is a designated fire exit, it only needs to be a functional exit in the event of a fire.

a fire exit doesn't mean you should be able to open it from the outside and enter it willy nilly, nor does a fire exit need to be able to be used as a 'regular' exit.

so, for all anyone knows, it is living up to its role as a fire exit - IF it is in fact a designated fire exit. If you want to speculate, go in to Dunnes and approach the doors from the inside and see if there's a means of opening it in the event of a fire.

better yet ask a member of staff what the policy is re: the doors and fires.

until then, pipe down maybe ?

or ring the fire officer if you're so concerned.

Maybe I will, may be that we all should as a way of standing up to these tactics. Also bear in mind that an external door is not only an emergency exit but it's also marked as an emergency access for all services - fire, ambulance & Gardai. Hope it's not needed.....

• Advertisement

'emergency' being the operative word.

just because you can't use the door to buy a pair of underpants doesn't mean the emergency services can't, or that someone trying to escape a fire can't.

SameHorse wrote: »
    'emergency' being the operative word.

just because you can't use the door to buy a pair of underpants doesn't mean the emergency services can't, or that someone trying to escape a fire can't.

Ah sure it'll be grand - the fella who controls the door will know there's an emergency in Carphone Warehouse & the ambulance are waiting at the door......

hysteria much ?

Not really - hysteria is usually post event. But to not plan ahead (which has been done by building plans), to blatantly disregard & disdain those plans & to use this for commercial gain is disgusting & should be held accountable

^^^ Hysteria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Yeah it'll be fine, they'll unlock the doors in a real emergency, just like they did when that Stardust place went on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I didnt know Stardust only had glass doors. Learn something new everyday every glass is indestructible off course.

And they have given a new exit to replace this one.

And the emergency services could enter through Corbett Court entrance? The pedestrian barriers on Shop Street would have been an inconvenience anyway. And there is no reason they cant use the newly opened entrance. Honestly the fuss and drama some people can kick up when they have to change their daily route by a few meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Paddy James

I didnt know Stardust only had glass doors. Learn something new everyday every glass is indestructible off course.

And the emergency services could enter through Corbett Court entrance? The pedestrian barriers on Shop Street would have been an inconvenience anyway. And there is no reason they cant use the newly opened entrance. Honestly the fuss and drama some people can kick up when they have to change their daily route by a few meters.

Not a drama in my view just think main point been missed

This is a company using bully tactics against a court order over money owed

Simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They havent 'given' a new exit, an existing ESC fire exit has been opened to the public by the ESC management, nothing to do with Dunnes, but 'off' course that wouldnt suit your argument.

• Advertisement

I worked in that particular branch a few years back, in my late teens. It was horrible then and it looks like it's horrible now.

Advertisement