Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Edward Square

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I worked in that particular branch a few years back, in my late teens. It was horrible then and it looks like it's horrible now.

5eee8119669fc409f51d679801dee67816b7d5930111a0f8951fce225720eb30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

They havent 'given' a new exit, an existing ESC fire exit has been opened to the public by the ESC management, nothing to do with Dunnes, but 'off' course that wouldnt suit your argument.

An exit that wasnt previously open is now open. Whats my argument? My only point is that it has not become some kind of deathtrap tomb with no available exits. To compare Dunnes to Stardust is one of the most dramatic things I've read in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An exit that wasnt previously open is now open. Whats my argument? My only point is that it has not become some kind of deathtrap tomb with no available exits. To compare Dunnes to Stardust is one of the most dramatic things I've read in a while.

You're right, Stardust it ain't.

But I suspect that the capacity of the exit door that has been opened is a lot smaller than the capacity of the door that Dunnes has closed.

That said, I'd be pretty sure that the safety argument is something which the shopping centre management would have tried using already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

You're right, Stardust it ain't.

But I suspect that the capacity of the exit door that has been opened is a lot smaller than the capacity of the door that Dunnes has closed.

That said, I'd be pretty sure that the safety argument is something which the shopping centre management would have tried using already.

Exactly if it actually was as dangerous as people here are trying to make it sound here Dunnes would have been forced to reopen them. The newly opened door obviously still meets the required standard. But it obviously doesnt sound as dramatic if its not hilariously exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

My point is that Dunnes havent opened any extra exits, the centre have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Delicia wrote: »
    Ah sure it'll be grand - the fella who controls the door will know there's an emergency in Carphone Warehouse & the ambulance are waiting at the door......

Why would they go that way, easier access via Eyre Square, Corbert Court, and AbbeyGate Stree Lower.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

They should rename it "Cnuts Stores"

I wonder if fire can be fought with fire? Dunnes comes one morning to find lift access cordoned off, with works to provide a corridor between ESSC and ES via the seized floorspace underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

The Emergency Exits are shown on the centres website:

level2big.png

http://www.eyresquarecentre.com/templates/eyresquarecentre/images/level2big.png

The doors that are locked don't seem to be a designated emergency exit, which I find a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Sofa King wrote: »
    The Emergency Exits are shown on the centres website:

http://www.eyresquarecentre.com/templates/eyresquarecentre/images/level2big.png

The doors that are locked don't seem to be a designated emergency exit, which I find a bit odd.

Emergency exit doors have to abide by strict requirements which the Dunnes doors don't meet, in particular:

1. Emergency exit doors open outwards
    2. Any sliding or revolving doors that are fitted are not used, or intended to be used, as emergency exits
    3. Emergency doors and gates are not so locked or fastened that they cannot be easily and immediately opened by any person who may need to use them in an emergency

From here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I was noticing that before that door was closed the walk across the store on that floor was becoming more maze like. I wondered if it was some attempt to prevent shoplifting or fast access across the shop for anybody involved in nefarious activity. When I saw the shop door was closed my first thought was about possibly preventing shoplifters.
    Wonder if that might be how they are excusing this to themselves.
    Not sure to what extent shoplifting is a problem here, would think that kind of thing might be more noticeable in Dublin or somewhere. Maybe they were just getting tired of using that as a short cut anyway.

Haven't seen what comment Dunnes are making about this and the avoiding the paying of back rent is not exactly the message they are going to want to put out.

5eee8119669fc409f51d679801dee67816b7d5930111a0f8951fce225720eb30.jpg

Oh man, you have no idea. Let's just say that management would treat you as if you were a child, they would shout effin' and blindin' at staff even in front of customers, and just generally treated their staff with zero respect.

Advertisement