Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc budget €400

Options
  • 08-07-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Can it be done. Needs to run H1Z1.

1. What is your budget? [€400]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet] (COD ,H1Z1)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [no]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [case]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1440x900] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Mouse/Card Reader/Speakers] (No)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [/Credit Card/Visa debit/ paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [within the next month]

I also have access to a UK address which should help with delivery costs.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What kind of case have you got?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Digital Solitude posted this in another thread:
    i3 4160 €115
    Some H81M board €65
    1tb HDD €55
    300w PSU €30
    8gb RAM €59
    Second hand GTX 750Ti €125

Total roughly €440

All parts from hardwareversand after geizhals affiliate site.
    Second hand card from CEX

If can stretch €30 get a second hand R9 270X and a 350w PSU. Probably less than €30

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Will run it, not great as its very very CPU heavy

Expect to be hanging about 30fps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

ATX MID NO POWER SUPPLY

2921ezb.jpg
    jonny24ie wrote: »
    What kind of case have you got?

Will run it, not great as its very very CPU heavy

Expect to be hanging about 30fps

That won't do at all, need to get it up to 50fps. Can you recommend a motherboard and graphics card please and I'll take it from there,
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Seeing as you want to build a H1Z1 machine on €400 I'm not sure you can.

Take my build above, drop €20 from the case and add an i5 4460 or 4440

Total at €~480, best you'll manage

Sapphire radeon R7 250x €97.00
    Seagate 1TB HDD €55.00
    Case inc power supply €50.00
    Intel Core i3 4170 3.7GHz €260.00
    Dual Core CPU bundle
    Asus Z97-P Gaming
    Motherboard inc 8gb memory

Would this be a reasonable set up coming in at €462.:confused:

It'd play H1Z1 unnoticeably faster and everything GPU dependant (most games) a good bit worse.

Zalman Z1 €20
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €50
    i5 4460 €175
    350w PSU €40
    H81M Board €60
    Second hand GTX 750Ti €100
    Total €495

i5 is recommended for H1Z1, really the best you can do for playing at decent fps.

Why can't you just go at 30?

It'd play H1Z1 unnoticeably faster and everything GPU dependant (most games) a good bit worse.

Zalman Z1 €20
    1tb HDD €50
    8gb RAM €50
    i5 4460 €175
    350w PSU €40
    H81M Board €60
    Second hand GTX 750Ti €100
    Total €495

i5 is recommended for H1Z1, really the best you can do for playing at decent fps.

Why can't you just go at 30?

Ok what am I not getting here. Is it the motherboard or the graphics card that isn't good enough in the list i posted?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

CPU (which curiously has a +100% markup in that bundle...) and graphics card. And from the vague description PSU as well. It sounds like a real firestarter :eek:

Literally, that is :o

• Advertisement

Motherboard isnt a bit deal for gaming, once it works it works, a €400 board and a €40 will do the same with identical components.

H1Z1 is a CPU heavy game, the first list of mine posted had an i3, the list you posted had an i3, the last one I put up had an i5, which is a faster CPU so better for the likes of H1Z1.

You had a fairly weak GPU too, it'd be grand for most games but the 750Ti is a good bit faster, and then the 270X is as far ahead of the 750Ti.

A good GPU is needed for pretty much all games, a strong CPU is only needed for certain ones, H1Z1 being an example

*Edit as Solitare has spotted you're getting rode on the CPU there too

Right so, just to be sure I need to get myself any H81M Board ,an i3 or i5 processor,which would you recommend in this instance?
    I'll get the GTX 750 Ti seeing as it's more or less essential.
    The rest should be simple enough.
    Anywhere i can source these at a keen price?
    Where are you dealing for used hardware?
    sorry for all the questions but i don't play video games myself and at close to 50 I'm not likely to start any time soon. It's my son who want's me to set him up and as I'm only going to take one shot a this I want to get it right.;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    CPU (which curiously has a +100% markup in that bundle...) and graphics card. And from the vague description PSU as well. It sounds like a real firestarter :eek:

Literally, that is :o
    Luckily I'm a firefighter;)

Definitely the i5 if he's going to have H1Z1 as his go-to game

CEX is where I'm pulling the second hand prices from, the fecking 750Ti is €125 though which I always mix up.

Prices are from hardwareversand.

Never too late to start gaming ;)

I'm on my holidays with no PC/Laptop so hopefully one of the other lads will post a direct links to the parts for you tomorrow. If not I'll get them when I get a chance.

Go for the 270X by the way €135, serious card, he'll thank you for it.

Apologies for brashness earlier :)

Definitely the i5 if he's going to have H1Z1 as his go-to game

CEX is where I'm pulling the second hand prices from, the fecking 750Ti is €125 though which I always mix up.

Prices are from hardwareversand.

Never too late to start gaming ;)

I'm on my holidays with no PC/Laptop so hopefully one of the other lads will post a direct links to the parts for you tomorrow. If not I'll get them when I get a chance.

Go for the 270X by the way €135, serious card, he'll thank you for it.

Apologies for brashness earlier :)
    Ok thanks for your patience mate. I played the first resident evil game once upon a time on the original playstation, must be close on 20 years ago now. I guess graphics will have improved greatly since then.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The i3-4160/4170 can definitely run H1Z1 a lot better than 30fps. The reason that it's so demanding is that it's a dreadfully unoptimized piece of crap, really, not any inherent weakness in the i3 processor, which can run any other new game perfectly. That said, however, the i3-4160 can still run it a lot better than 30fps generally speaking, closer to 60+ with drops if there is absolutely tons happening on screen.

Last time I played the game as well, it actually only used 2 cores, regardless of the processor used. Games these days make illogical recommendations all the time - the new Wolfenstein had an i7 in its recommended spec's, despite not being able to use more than 3 cores. With H1Z1 if you had an i5 or i7, or Fx63x0 or 83x0, the extra cores were actually all going unused.

That may have changed since but it's worth looking more into. But as a bottom line you can definitely get far higher than 30fps.

The i3-4160/4170 can definitely run H1Z1 a lot better than 30fps. The reason that it's so demanding is that it's a dreadfully unoptimized piece of crap, really, not any inherent weakness in the i3 processor, which can run any other new game perfectly. That said, however, the i3-4160 can still run it a lot better than 30fps generally speaking, closer to 60+ with drops if there is absolutely tons happening on screen.

Last time I played the game as well, it actually only used 2 cores, regardless of the processor used. Games these days make illogical recommendations all the time - the new Wolfenstein had an i7 in its recommended spec's, despite not being able to use more than 3 cores. With H1Z1 if you had an i5 or i7, or Fx63x0 or 83x0, the extra cores were actually all going unused.

That may have changed since but it's worth looking more into. But as a bottom line you can definitely get far higher than 30fps.

Thanks for that . I've had a troll around that german site and grouped this lot together. Good enough and could i source them cheaper elsewhere Thoughts?
    4kbr6r.jpg

I know that's a good bit over €400 but it looks as if it was never a runner anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

go through http://geizhals.eu/ to get a few more euro off when ordering through hardwareversand

As a side note, it says your shipping will only be 6.99, I thought it was usually 30 euro with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

go through http://geizhals.eu/ to get a few more euro off when ordering through hardwareversand

As a side note, it says your shipping will only be 6.99, I thought it was usually 30 euro with them?

I'd guess that's the standard shipping and when it's updated with an Irish address it'll go up accordingly.

Thanks for that.
    I'll be shipping to a uk address which will usually speeds delivery up and it's normally cheaper as well.

• Advertisement

How does that site work? I don't seem to see that hardwaresand in the options for the graphics card?

Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Takes the total down to €557.38.
    I think I'll stick at that.
    Won't order until tomorrow just in case someone has anything else to add or alterations i might make, thanks to all for the help. oh and I could whip another few quid off the processor without the box(I assume there's no difference).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Tray = no processor heatsink/fan. Get the box version if you aren't buying an aftermarket heatsink/fan.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Tray = no processor heatsink/fan. Get the box version if you aren't buying an aftermarket heatsink/fan.

Good stuff cheers, Of course I should have noticed that !:(

If you want to get that cost down further, you can definitely get a much cheaper matx motherboard than that, you've picked a more expensive ITX option. You can also get a GTX750Ti instead of the 270X, much cheaper and still a very decent card.

Don't forget you don't have a hard drive included in that build either, that would be €50.

Example 1 is an i3-based system, example 2 is an i5-based system.

hmgfn7F.jpg

TD0sW4K.jpg

If you want to get that cost down further, you can definitely get a much cheaper matx motherboard than that, you've picked a more expensive ITX option. You can also get a GTX750Ti instead of the 270X, much cheaper and still a very decent card.

Don't forget you don't have a hard drive included in that build either, that would be €50.

I have a 500gb Hard drive in an old build, thought it might do. I Liked the built in wifi on that board. I also have an old 500w power supply as well. I'll pull both out of the old case later and see what they're like. The look of the case is important for kids as I'm sure you appreciate. Any difference in the memory sticks you have chosen and the ones I had? Digital solitaire convinved me to go for that card for the extra money. fair play though terrorfirmer you have a really decent looking build down to €460 and that in itself it praiseworthy. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

One point to note is dont buy stock that says sale on hardware versand, that means they are customer returns and can be missing some things.
    Heres an alternative that is new:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/DDR3/151627/ASRock+H81M-DGS+R2.0%2C+Sockel+1150%2C+mATX.article

Also be careful to ensure items are in stock at the time of ordering and doesnt say awaiting delivery as somethimes things dont come back into stock.

I play h1z1 and I would reccomend the i5 over the i3, a little more expensive but well worth it :)

The card I was saying would be second hand to fit the budget, from ie.webuy.com if they have any in stock. Wouldn't affect price or power consumption

The card I was saying would be second hand to fit the budget, from ie.webuy.com if they have any in stock. Wouldn't affect price or power consumption

I am going to get that card digital, I'd rather get it new anyway. What part of lovely leitrim are you living in?
    Would 500gb hdd be big enough?

• Advertisement

Outside Ballinamore, are you a local?

No worries getting a second hand GPU, you'll have a 12 month warranty from CEX

Yeah, should do no worries for a little while, can always add more if you want

Advertisement