Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed!!!

Options
  • 08-07-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Just a quick one. I am in the middle of debate with a few friends and wanted a few opinions on the matter.

What is the general outlook on the following:

Is it ok for a 27 year old male to be flirting and driving around with a just gone (as of yesterday 7th July 2015) 18 year old girl? Bearing in mind that the 27 year old male has admitted to flirting with her.

All opinions welcomed!!!

Is it ok for 27yr old male to be flirting with 18yr old female (turned 18 on 7/7/15) 46 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yeah it's grand technically, it''s then down to your own personal moral compass after that.

I will await the token White Knighting below though, no doubt the word pervert will be used and he'll be accused of manipulating her

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

Well not if you follow the half your age plus seven rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think dipped headlights should be mandatory on all vehicles at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

IrishEF wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just a quick one. I am in the middle of debate with a few friends and wanted a few opinions on the matter.

What is the general outlook on the following:

Is it ok for a 27 year old male to be flirting and driving around with a just gone (as of yesterday 7th July 2015) 18 year old girl? Bearing in mind that the 27 year old male has admitted to flirting with her.

All opinions welcomed!!!

Tell her to keep her arse to the wall at all times. In the name a jasus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Been there, done that. What's the beef?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Creepy as fcuk.:D She's not jailbait but still, he's 27, maybe he likes school uniforms.:p

Creepy as fcuk.:D She's not jailbait but still, he's 27, maybe he likes school uniforms.:p

Schools finished weeks ago :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Meh. It's legal, it's just down to morals after that. I personally think there's a hell of a lot of growing up to do between just barely 18 and 27. I wouldn't approve of it if it was my daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Grooming before 7th July.
    Courting on/after 7th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Perfectly grand. People have little to be worrying about.

I guess if you really wanted to quantify it you could say it may depend on the particular 18 year old in question. You can be 18 and have a solid head on your shoulders, or still be running around with the mental and emotional maturity of a little kid (same can go for some 24 year olds though and no one would have the slightest problem with that). People grow and mature at different rates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When you were her age, she was 9. Chew on that for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

She's 18, I don't see the problem tbh.

Boom_Bap wrote: »

What about a 65 year old being in love with a 47 year old.

At some point he was an adult and she was worming her way through a burst condom.

Funny how this things go and become more normal, like age gap is proportional to overall age. There should be a more complicated formula than the "1/2 + 7" Rule
    She's 18, I don't see the problem tbh.

You wouldn't.... you think she's probably being "Friendly"...

Crafty crafty women with your crafty crafty ways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Will he celebrate the leaving cert results with her or will that be next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

It is their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Cormac... wrote: »
    Schools finished weeks ago :P

Yeah, but she might still have the uniform hanging in the wardrobe.:D

Will he celebrate the leaving cert results with her or will that be next year.

Well it depends on if she did transition year.... if she skipped transition year... well..... he should be locked up
    Yeah, but she might still have the uniform hanging in the wardrobe.:D

Well so what, it's all a bit of light hearted fun between ADULTS

Horses for courses......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It is legally grand. But try telling her dad that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

At some point he was an adult and she was worming her way through a burst condom.

Funny how this things go and become more normal, like age gap is proportional to overall age. There should be a more complicated formula than the "1/2 + 7" Rule

You wouldn't.... you think she's probably being "Friendly"...

Crafty crafty women with your crafty crafty ways

Sorry Cormac, I didn't realise you were flirting with me. I thought you just wanted to be my friend. :(

Even if they went out, what's the big deal?

Menas wrote: »
    It is legally grand. But try telling her dad that.

Yup, or an older brudder :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭jacool

I see in your opening post you say "just a quick one". Technically that's more than flirting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The only problem I'd see is a difference in interests.
    When I was 27 an atypical 18 year old's interests would have driven me demented.

Age is only a number. I know some people in their 30's who act like teenagers and I've met some teenagers who are mature beyond their years.

She's 18 now. A consenting adult and can choose who she wants to be with. What's creepy and disappointing is that other people, these bastions of morals and social etiquette would see fit to intervene or prevent a potentially brilliant relationship based on some ridiculous societal rule. (half your age + 7).

Mind your own business. Hoe your own row, GTFO etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

What would be wrong with it? A sexually mature man is flirting with a sexually mature 18 woman?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not saying it's wrong, or that there is a magic formula to calculate this, I'm not judging. Just providing another perspective that the OP can bring up in discussion.

I'm not saying it's wrong, or that there is a magic formula to calculate this, I'm not judging. Just providing another perspective that the OP can bring up in discussion.

Pffffft... if you're not even gonna come back at me with a formula don't even bother :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,755 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OneOfThem wrote: »
    Perfectly grand. People have little to be worrying about.

I guess if you really wanted to quantify it you could say it may depend on the particular 18 year old in question. You can be 18 and have a solid head on your shoulders, or still be running around with the mental and emotional maturity of a little kid (same can go for some 24 year olds though and no one would have the slightest problem with that). People grow and mature at different rates.

By that same token, you could be 27 and have a solid head on your shoulders, or still running around with the mental and emotional maturity of a little kid, and if you're 27 running around after 18 year olds, or encouraging 18 year olds, well, chances are you're that 27 year old with the mental and emotional maturity of a little kid, who finds 18 year olds with the mental and emotional maturity of a little kid, attractive.

There's nothing illegal about it, but it's hardly a sign of maturity in either of them IMO.

Pffffft... if you're not even gonna come back at me with a formula don't even bother :P

e=mc something.
    I nearly have this one ready. It's relative.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

There should be a more complicated formula than the "1/2 + 7" Rule

What about the if theres grass on the pitch rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It might be even wiser for the OP, to avoid chewing on anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

e=mc something.
    I nearly have this one ready. It's relative.

Oh dear, relatives are another whole can of worms!

Advertisement