Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dissolve has shut down

• 08-07-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/618786634129997824

I've only started following the site in the last few months but enjoyed some of the articles.

I think I actually saw the site on here so some might be interested to know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Sad, a rare place of interesting film news and discussion beyond all the superhero overhype you see elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Only just started reading it. Typical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very sad but unsurprising news. Good (paid staff!) writers who were passionate and knew their film history, non-abtrusive ads, articles about decades-old films (some of them silent or in another language!) and nothing about the latest superhero casting rumours, which if they were mentioned at all were relegated to the postscript in the daily essential film writings post. Simply put, it was a serious film site. It’s amazing it lasted this long. And it’s only fitting that they announced its closure the day before the start of Comic-con, which is bigger than ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's a damn shame, with the double catastrophe that the Dissolve's creation left the AV Club's film section a shadow of its former self.

Perhaps it was the imminent demise and dwindling resources, but I had found myself less engaged with the Dissolve in recent months. I think their focus had narrowed a bit, with more space for modern American cinema over everything else. But even then their allegiance to retrospective features, actual dialogue (with writers and the peculiarly civil community formed in the comment sections), and critical opinion pieces made it stand out as still something quite rare and very welcome. Above all the site achieved a much needed middle ground between serious, dense cinema criticism and a more accessible, casual style. There was a friendliness about the site that differentiated it from the norm, and all without just devoting all its space to the latest blockbuster marketing guff.

Also, Nathan Rabin needs more prominence - nobody writes better analyses of ****ty, ****ty films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Terrible news. It had become my go to site for film coverage and the podcast was always great.

Will have to keep track of where the key contributors end up now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not a regular reader by any means, but that's a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

Ya there podcast was really interesting and entertaining, can't believe this. They might do a spinoff podcast with Tasha robinson, Scott Tobias and a few others, who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Never knew of it so never read it but that reflects poorly on me and not them I'm sure.

How much does it cost to run a website? These days you do it for the love not the money it seems, hardly anyone can make a living from just writing stuff no matter how good unless employed by one of the big boys, they have to be vloggers and freebie junkies on youtube or twitter.

Advertisement