Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd year subjects

• 08-07-2015 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

hey folks,

due to get word around next week whether i have got my 2nd year EOS subject choices or not.
    i chose german for science, writing skills and zoology to go with the eos module but i am wondering what happens if zoology fills up as some people have been suggesting.
    Zoology places are handed out in order of the highest bio grade down from the year before and since i made a complete and total balls of biology in semester 1 last year before recovering fairly strongly in sem 2 there is a chance i may not get it as my overall grade for the year just aint good enough against those that did well in sem 1.

I dont mind that tbh as im kind of regretting not taking microbiology now but what's the drill if i don't get zoology?
    Can i choose again or will the powers that be assign me something else automatically.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

Hi there, make sure you pick the subjects you like. EOS in 2nd year is quite different to 1st year. I know some people who did it in 2nd year and hated it, not everyone likes it. Make sure you have a backup degree option (to fall back on in case you don't get on with EOS). Is EOS what you want to specilize in for 4th year?

Pretty sure its your overall first year result out of ALL your modules (not just biology) that counts when allocating places in 2nd year subjects. All about this should be explained in your 1st year academic guide you got at the start of the year in the first few pages.

As far as I know anatomy, physiology and pharmacology are the hardest to get into. Cut off was somewhere in low 60s% when I entered 2nd year 2 years ago. It could be higher now. Zoology has more places than these subjects so it could be less, then again it is very popular so the cut off be probably over 60% overall 1st year result from all modules. There's nothing you can do now about it other than wait and hope for the best! Good luck! If you have any questions message me, i'll be heading into 4th year EOS in september (i'm denominated!).

I also did microbiology in 2nd year and found the laboratory part of it very boring. The stuff you do is similar to 1st year micro labs. Some people liked it though. I dropped it after 2nd year. Also its still possible to change a subject the first week you go back in september if places are available in the subject you want to change to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Kayleigh..

When will we know our subjects? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

Hi, it was really late when I started 2nd year in 2013/14 academic year. Last week of August got sent my modules for 2nd year. But I think that year they had restructured the whole course (split up all modules to be 5 credits). Previous to this subjects like zoology in 2nd year were 2 10 credit modules (makes up 20 credit zoology 2nd year subject) and you'd have 1 3 hour exam per 10 credit module - so 1 3 hour exam end of semester 1 and 1 3 hour exam in semester 2. But now they split up all 10 credit modules into 2 5 credit modules. So now 2nd year zoology is 4 5 credit modules and you have a 2 hour exam for most 5 credit modules (except Lab based modules like Lab Skills in Microbiology I and II where all marks allocated are for attendance at and write up of your lab reports).

It was definitely middle to late August when I found out my subjects for 2nd year. I only did 2 subjects in 2nd year. I did the EOS pathway (all modules) + microbiology pathway and filled up remaining credits with elective modules. If you have any more questions reply back or PM me. (Like if you have any subject queries or not sure about something - I'll be delighted to answer). I'll be going into 4th science (EOS) in September! It's hard to believe. 2nd year doesn't seem like so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

I'm afraid I'm stuck with eos whether I like it or not as I'm denominated but can't see myself hating it in 2nd year... Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

Kayleigh.. wrote: »
    When will we know our subjects? :o

17th of july I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

I was allocated my subjects on the 25th of July 2013, so you should have them soon enough. As long as there's space available, you're allowed to change subjects for the first week or two in September.

Advertisement