Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back playing GAA after a 7 year break/sore knees an ankles

• 08-07-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I returned to the GAA after a 7 year break . I'm finding the fitness gradually increasing but the ankles and knees are in bits . Is this to be expected ? Or could it be a footwear problem ? The last 7 or so years I've been weight lifting/power lifting and I'm quite well built . 90 plus kg . Could this be my ankles and knees taking the brunt of my weight ? Or should the pains ease with time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Colash wrote: »
    I returned to the GAA after a 7 year break . I'm finding the fitness gradually increasing but the ankles and knees are in bits . Is this to be expected ? Or could it be a footwear problem ? The last 7 or so years I've been weight lifting/power lifting and I'm quite well built . 90 plus kg . Could this be my ankles and knees taking the brunt of my weight ? Or should the pains ease with time?

What age are you?? Did you play any sport or do anything that involved running in the time out??

It's probably a combination of you been out for so long and the ground being particularly hard at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

cc87 wrote: »
    What age are you?? Did you play any sport or do anything that involved running in the time out??

It's probably a combination of you been out for so long and the ground being particularly hard at the moment.

Just turned 30 . I did very little cardio work . And to be honest the pitch I'm training on is like concrete .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

S
    T
    R
    E
    T
    C
    H

See what I did there?
    You're older now. Do it everyday. It mightn't help, then again it might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

What boots are you wearing?

deadybai wrote: »
    What boots are you wearing?

Adidas world cup mouldies . Comfy enough boot . I think it could be more the pitch I'm on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Colash wrote: »
    Adidas world cup mouldies . Comfy enough boot . I think it could be more the pitch I'm on

Well yeah I'd say it is because World Cups are the best of the best. Try take ice baths to reduce soreness.

I had this problem last year when the ground turned hard but I had sh!te boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Just a combination of weight, pitch and age. I get it playing rugby every season when we start and the ground is still hard. Just do lots of stretching. I don't think there is much else for it. I know guys who swear by world cups so I doubt it's the boots . Just suck it up the more you train the more your body will get use to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

It's the pitch. Our local pitch is basically a sandpit . I have gone back doing a bit of GAA training after about 7 years off and I can run no problem with runners on the pitch but with boots I may as well be running on the road.

Thanks for all replies lads . Done 30 min of sprints yesterday and a lot of streching by meself . Knees and ankles are a bit sore today . But not too bad . I guess the old age is catching up on me 😂ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

stretch every day
    twice a day if you can
    once you go over 30, recovery is key

look up a decent stretching program
    foam rolling also helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement