Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would be the first steps to establishing a startup?

• 08-07-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have recently finished a BSc Hons in Computing with a first degree honours. My forth year project ended up being greatly received by the evaluation panel who thought my project had great potential in advertising as well as winning an award in enterprise and innovation.

I'd rather not go into detail about what the project is on here.

The main difficulties I am having are the fact that I come from a purely computer background as well as I have no ideas of standard proceedings or who to talk to about setting up a startup.

Would anyone have any advice on where I should go from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jesus. A first degree honours is BS. It's a First, or a First Class Honours. (Very rare from institutions that matter, spelling and grammar being important!) If you have won an award for your project people already are aware of it. There are several threads on this forum about start-ups. Use the "Search" function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Do a Start Your Own Business course first and foremost. Get a meeting at your local LEO, chat to them and ask advice. Be aware - and I'm speaking as someone with a degree in Software Dev - that if you're coming straight out of college you probably are weak in real life networking and people skills, which can be quite important in business. Try and up-skill these - one way that will help a lot is going to meetups where startups and business owners are hanging out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you contacted the college (your project supervisor or anyone on the evaluation panel) about what could be the next step.

Alot of colleges now have incubation centres for start ups or at least would be able to advise you on what you could do next.

Remember it also looks good on the college if your project is successfully turned into a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

There is very good advice above.

Remember the objective is not really to be a startup. The objective is to stop being a startup and begin being a successful, sustainable business.

Ultimately the problem. assuming the technology works, is finding customers for your product and then meeting these customers' standards at a price that makes sense for everybody.

You can talk to lots of people but ultimately this is the core thing that you have to do.

Universities can sometimes be quite bad places to incubate a new business, I have to warn you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

http://www.ibye.ie/

Enter this competition anyway. It is fairly easy to get through to the county final and if shortlisted you will get the chance to take part in a 3 day entrepreneurial bootcamp which will give you a good foundation on where to go from that point onwards. You also get quit friendly with your local enterprise office through it so it is good for networking. Also worth mentioning is the prize money which would be €10,000 for best new idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

You might consider the following option

http://www.enterprise.gov.ie/en/News/20150710a.html

Advertisement