Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants us to vacate for a week

Options
  • 08-07-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering what you guys think of this situation - a big American real estate company owns the complex I rent in and just got an email from the management office saying they want to carry out improvements and upgrades to the apartments and require access for 7 consecutive days during which we can't occupy the apartment. They're trying to tie in with tenants who are going on holiday but we've already gone on ours.

Are they able to do this without offering compensation or alternative accommodation? The complex is pretty big and they often have a spare apartment at any one time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

No but they could terminate the tenancy, with the relevant notice, if major work is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have they actually refused to provide alternative accommodation? It's possible that they don't include it in the original letter, but will look at it on request if a mutually convenient time cannot be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭scrabble1498

No they haven't refused - and you could be right - just wanted to figure out whether they're actually obliged to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No they haven't refused - and you could be right - just wanted to figure out whether they're actually obliged to do so.

They don't have any right to ask you to vacate for a week in the first place, unless it's for health and safety reasons? Do you know what work they are doing?

So they are essentially asking for a favour. If it were me, I would ask for a favour in return... like being put up someplace nearby. You'd have to provide receipts I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

in my lease it states that I may be asked to vacate for a period of time for any works that may need to be completed. It does also specify alternate accommodation will be provided though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Presumably the OP will be offered similar or better accommodation in the vicinity for the duration. OP- ring the Management Company to confirm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you do leave make sure to let them you know before you do that you expect the place to be left clean when you get back

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful, as sometimes this is used to get rid of tenants.

Has this happened to any of you neighbours? How did they find it?

What works are proposed? Do they really need vacant possession?

What happens your personal effects / contents?

Advertisement