Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

1102103104105106108»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can I get peoples thoughts on the name for entry #159?

I think it's been incorrectly transcribed but what do ye think?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1945/04626/4228004.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭55Gem

Gosh it's terrible writing.

Margaret, the Ma doesn't look right but going by the Married and given the end of the word I'm fairly sure that's right.

Surname is difficult O'H after that, could be any of the vowels and probably ends in ley.

O'Haley, O'Heley, none of them look correct. Sorry I just keep changing my mind about the surname.

Any chance of a death notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Looks like Daniel O'Rourke to me

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

I think you are looking at entry number 157 not 159. The writing is so bad that 157 and 158 also look like 159 at first glance. I was actually looking at 158 myself before I realised it was the wrong entry. Anyway 157 is transcribed as Margaret O'Mahony, I have no idea if that is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

That's for #157 (easy to err, the writing is awful!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

My first impression was also Daniel O'Rourke, before I searched to find that the transcription is David O'Rourke.
    It's very hard to make it out. I don't know which is correct, if either.

Indeed #157 does look like #159 but I didn't want to influence anyone's thoughts so said nothing.

I was hoping someone would read it as Daniel O'Rourke which is what I believe it is though it's been transcribed as David.

The only other issue is that his occupation is labourer rather than tinsmith but my hunch is that this is the correct record for 'my' Daniel O'Rourke.

Thanks all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

One more if ye don't mind - what is the church for the first entry on this one, the marriage of Jeremiah Healy and Honora Murphy.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1866/11529/8239987.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it is an old spelling of Eyeries.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with Spurious on Eyeries - it's appropriate for the bride's townland address of Inches (FWIW a corruption of Inse, a meadow along a waterway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks again all.

I couldn't make anything of the writing on that one but Inches looks right.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭doctorwho-fan

Hello, Can anyone help with number 5 down, John - mothers name and what is under her name? thank you.

Kate Butler

1_ Marlboro Street

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭BowWow

Rose Butler

13 Marlboro Rd

Yes, I can see Rose now - just the second letter looks more like an 'a' than an 'o'.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 euro_girl21

Hi all, would appreciate help with the latin text relating to Samuel William Davidson baptism (comments over his birth date and in the final column) which might explain the difference between his birth date 1866 and baptism date 1882:

https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=rathmines_mf_1823-1886_ba_0641

His sister, Isabella, also had a late baptism which took place in the year just before she got married. I am not sure if they had not been baptised/were being baptised again. Thanks for any help/advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Above 1866 it says day and month uncertain.

In the comments column I can't make out the second word. Adult XXX sub-conditional baptism (or some version of it). Basically, they're doing a precautionary baptism as an adult in case he wasn't done as a baby.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I agree with Pinky

Date born column is ‘Mensa et die incerta’ = month and day uncertain/unknown.

In the comments, I see ‘adultus’ and sub conditione. I suggest that proof of baptism (Isabella needed it for her marriage) and as Samuel did not know the date of his birth he could not obtain a copy of the b.cert. (or was not baptised) he went through the ceremony again, ‘conditionally’ as you cannot be accepted into the church(baptized) twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 euro_girl21

Thanks to both @pinkypinky and @Mick Tator - really appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭louis346789

Hi All

Need a second opinion on entry of the 21 Aug 1870. Witness surname and disp

Thank you.

Louis

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Fraoch333

The witness surname may be Burns.

MOD NOTE: Can you please provide a link to the source of the document.

Genealogy Forum Mod

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE%2FPRS%2FMICROFILM05761-09%2F0010&parentid=IRE%2FPRS%2FMAR%2F0546493%2F1

Providing a link to the source of the document and a brief description of it helps other posters to help you.

Here's a link to the same record at the NLI for those who prefer using that site.

https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633044#page/10/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

Witnesses are Hugh Burns and Sarah Mullan.

The word after Disp looks like Banns with the priests name immediately below it which may be J. McKay.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Cheers thanks. I suspected Sarah but needed to be sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement