Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

tabbey wrote: »
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/6537d46561711

In the record for Patrick O'Connell & Doreen Dunne, can anyone make out the address of the bride and the occupation of the groom?
    I tried to click on this record, but without success. 
    Is this something to do with the recent change of format on boards?
    I searched for Doreen Dunne in Rathdown and it comes up for me
    Yes , I se it now, it definitely looks like Rock Hill Castle, but I do not remember any such address, and it is not on the 25 inch map of early 1900s.
    However, there used to be a lot of quaint houses, some castellated, on Rock Hill, before the redevelopment since 1980. It is possible that one might have been named Rock Hill Castle, or known locally as such.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/6537d46561711

In the record for Patrick O'Connell & Doreen Dunne, can anyone make out the address of the bride and the occupation of the groom?
    I tried to click on this record, but without success. 
    Is this something to do with the recent change of format on boards?
    I searched for Doreen Dunne in Rathdown and it comes up for me
    Yes , I se it now, it definitely looks like Rock Hill Castle, but I do not remember any such address, and it is not on the 25 inch map of early 1900s.
    However, there used to be a lot of quaint houses, some castellated, on Rock Hill, before the redevelopment since 1980. It is possible that one might have been named Rock Hill Castle, or known locally as such.

Ah yes - you are right about the groom being a journalist. That's just jogged my memory. Still unsure about the address.

I also thought it said Rock something Castle. But I can't find any castles in Blackrock at all.

I wonder does 'castle' refer to Williamstown Castle, now Willow Park / junior school for Blackrock College. Her father also is a NS teacher - coincidence?
    Blackrock College did indeed include Williamstown Castle, but the French College, as it is sometimes called, would not have had the slightest connection with a national teacher, they described their teachers as professors, and would have looked down on a mere national teacher.
    Even if Henry did work and live in Blackrock College, since he was dead, his daughter would have been obliged to move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Rock Hill is the bit of road from the traffic lights at Jack O'Rourke's pub up to the intersection with the Rock Road. You sure there were crenellated houses where the shopping centre now stands? I agree with you - the adress means nothing to me also. Even the other side of the village (Temple Hill) had no castle/suitable houses. The nearest castle on that side is in Monkstown, which is too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Ah yes - you are right about the groom being a journalist. That's just jogged my memory. Still unsure about the address.

I also thought it said Rock something Castle. But I can't find any castles in Blackrock at all.

I wonder does 'castle' refer to Williamstown Castle, now Willow Park / junior school for Blackrock College. Her father also is a NS teacher - coincidence?
    Blackrock College did cross my mind but considering her father was a national school teacher I doubt that this is the case. I also wondered if Doreen had become a teacher herself.

• Advertisement

I wonder if .....
    The house at the Rock Road/Hill junction is called Lios an uisce, lios in Irish meaning a fort. It's rather a grand house, perhaps she was a boarder there?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

I wonder if .....
    The house at the Rock Road/Hill junction is called Lios an uisce, lios in Irish meaning a fort. It's rather a grand house, perhaps she was a boarder there?
    Could be! It looks like a fab house. I'll keep digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nikonuser

Would it be "trustee" & if it is, why would it be there? J

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Catherine is the ..... of ... twelfth child. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think it is a correction, and messed up a little - that the intention was to write "Catherine is the forename of the child's mother" (rather than "mother's child"). Note the name in the main entry gives her name as "Cathleen".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Please keep these questions in the handwriting thread please.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Managed to get the marriage cert of my great great grandfather dated 21/4/1870

Attached

Its the first entry on the page at the top
    John Sullivan to Brigid Walsh (although she has it spelled Bridget on the birth cert of her first born)

Trying to work out the handwriting for the following

Place of Residence of John Sullivan (Col 3) (Westport?)
    Parents Name of Brigid Walsh (Col 4)
    Place of Residence of Michael Sullivan (Col 5) (Cork or Castlebar?)

Got this from the NLI Site
    Searched under
    Aughaval
    Archdiocese of Tuam | County of Mayo

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Link here.

Place of Residence of John Sullivan (Col 3) (Westport?) - Westport
    Parents Name of Brigid Walsh (Col 4) - Nicholas Walsh
    Place of Residence of Michael Sullivan (Col 5) (Cork or Castlebar?) - Cork

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Link here.

Place of Residence of John Sullivan (Col 3) (Westport?) - Westport
    Parents Name of Brigid Walsh (Col 4) - Nicholas Walsh
    Place of Residence of Michael Sullivan (Col 5) (Cork or Castlebar?) - Cork

Thanks, forgot to attach the cert (old timers setting in...!!!)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lex - please post these requests in the handwriting thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Lex - please post these requests in the handwriting thread.

No problem will do, thanks

Looking for help to read the Rank/Profession of Father on entry 342 in this link
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03306/2211733.pdf

Soldier 54th ....................?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Looking for help to read the Rank/Profession of Father on entry 342 in this link
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03306/2211733.pdf

Soldier 54th ....................?

Thanks

54th Regiment of Foot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54th_(West_Norfolk)_Regiment_of_Foot

Would someone mind checking the place of birth of Edmund Delahunty in this image (third one down)?
    It looks like Claran but I can't be sure.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would agree with Claran.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

There is a Cloran closeby to Fethard...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cloran sounds good to me - thank ye both.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Cloran sounds good to me - thank ye both.

That is almost certain, but there is also Cloneen, just north of it on the R692, just in case.

Any latin readers here, what's the gist of this document?

6c5619c3e6.jpeg

It looks like a papal blessing of Pope Leo XIII being delivered via the Bishop McRdmond and being passed on/recorded by A J Molony, a curate, on behalf of the PP of Couriganeen and Clonakelly. Have you a marriage at that time?

I had a marriage before this. This is a page on its own, I was just curious as to what it was. Cheers.

edit: here's the page in question http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634666#page/23/mode/1up

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

It looks like a papal blessing of Pope Leo XIII being delivered via the Bishop McRdmond and being passed on/recorded by A J Molony, a curate, on behalf of the PP of Couriganeen and Clonakelly. Have you a marriage at that time?

Agree it looks like a papal blessing, but the parish is Clonakenny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Would appreciate help with the sponsors in the Thomas Nolan entry here:

taUp8gE.jpg

Since father is Thomas Nolan, I guess the first sponsor is Edward Nolan? Any ideas for the name below that and the placename (from Ferns, Wexford?)

• Advertisement

Kate Tuite, Edward Whelan?

**edit. Is it the Eliza entry you're looking at?

Placename Clologue

Advertisement