Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

spurious wrote: »
    Kate Tuite, Edward Whelan?

**edit. Is it the Eliza entry you're looking at?

Nope it would be the name below Edward Nolan...

P.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry, I see it now.

Placename Newtown?

I still see Edward Whelan.
    Mary Ann Th___?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Mary Anne Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Can someone transcribe this for me please? I'm pretty sure I know what it says but I want to make sure I'm not just seeing what I want to see.

426732.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

My attempt:
    Date: 24th November 1919
    Address: Cawley Place
    Name: Mary O’Mahony
    Father: No father listed
    Mother: Mary O’Mahony, Co Kilkenny
    Mother’s occupation: Domestic Servant
    Informant: B Dunne, Matron, Mountjoy Prison Hospital
    Registration Date: 28th November 1919

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Birth registered in the District of North City No. 1 W(est), in the Union of Dublin.
    Date of birth : 1919 November 24th, Place : ? C.... Pl(ace)?
    Mary, female, daughter of Mary O'Mahony, Domestic servant, Kilkenny.
    Informant : B Dunne, Matron, Mountjoy Prison Hospital.
    Registered November 28th.

Perhaps the place of birth might be connected to Mountjoy, but it may be the case that B Dunne happened to report the birth which could have occurred elsewhere.

I have a Mountjoy prison record that states a female child was born in the prison on this date to my great grandmother so I'm pretty sure it's her. Just needed a second pair of eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things! I'll have to see if I can figure out what that "cawley place" might be.

Thank you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cowley place in the 1980s was an address used by a prison officer parent of a child I taught. I'm not sure if it was just the PO's houses or the address of the whole prison.

Perhaps the mother worked for a PO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Fascinating old maps and info (referencing an 1890's news article describing it) on the third and fourth posts here. Rootschat records Cowley Cottages/Cowley Place on Circular Road North near the female penitentiary of 1830, Mountjoy prison c1850, and Mater Hospital. The maps span 1830 to 1900's.

Griffith's Valuation lists some info about Cowley Place and it's inhabitants (click on the occupants icon, then the details or original page icons).

1798 map of Dublin shows Cowley Place (scroll down to second map enlarged view).

An overview of the Irish prison system and registers, 1790-1924.

spurious wrote: »
    Cowley place in the 1980s was an address used by a prison officer parent of a child I taught. I'm not sure if it was just the PO's houses or the address of the whole prison.

Perhaps the mother worked for a PO.

The mother was DEFINITELY an inmate :pac:

That's interesting about the Cowley place though. I mean, if a prisoner gave birth in prison, where would the child go? Did they keep them with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭VirginiaB

Sorry for this basic question but how do you insert or attach an image here? I have spent all kinds of time trying to figure it out and have failed. Thanks for any help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I upload to the image hosting site https://vgy.me/

Then get the direct link from there

Then click on the 'insert image' tab in the boards reply box, paste the url, and bob's your uncle :)

So there is no way to just insert or attach a jpg directly from my computer?

you can upload it directly from your computer thru the "go advanced" icon, below the quick reply box.

After clicking "go advanced," scroll down & click "manage attachments"
    Click "choose file" then highlight/click the file from your computer and click "open"
    Scroll all the way to the right in the attachment window and click "upload"
    Notice on the left your attachment name displays under "current attachments"
    Click "close this window" (on far right upper corner of screen) then click "submit reply"
    A clickable link to your image attachment will display on your post.

[*** an optional step if you'd like the image itself to display in the post: click on the name of your attachment (under "current attachments"), when the new tab opens, copy the link, click on the image icon (yellow box, looks like a mountain) above the post reply window and paste the link into the image drop down window.]

it's easier than it sounds, just takes a time or two to get the hang of it.

Yeah I much prefer when the image displays inline; can't be bothered clicking links.

Can anyone read the names of the witnesses in this marriage record? The marriage was in Philadelphia and the bride was born in London to Irish parents. I'm seeking their Irish origins. She is Katie Powell, marrying Walter Phillips. Record is fifth from the bottom of the page. I will not affect results by giving my opinion but it is both names of the second witness that really have me stuck.

Thanks everyone for all the help with this. DunnoKidz, the tip about scrolling all the way to the right solved the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

VirginiaB wrote: »
    Can anyone read the names of the witnesses in this marriage record? The marriage was in Philadelphia and the bride was born in London to Irish parents. I'm seeking their Irish origins. She is Katie Powell, marrying Walter Phillips. Record is fifth from the bottom of the page. I will not affect results by giving my opinion but it is both names of the second witness that really have me stuck.

Thanks everyone for all the help with this. DunnoKidz, the tip about scrolling all the way to the right solved the problem.

I see Matthew Gallagher but I'm still squinting at the second name, maybe Lillian.....something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Which entry?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Poster said fifth from the bottom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Lillian or Killian Livew

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'm thinking the second name would most likely be female, and for the surname I sort of see 'cio' as the last three letters.

Thanks all. These are what I'm seeing but that second name is really tough. It's not making sense.

I bought this record from FindMyPast for a princely sum which did not even cover the transcription--just the image--so I don't have their guess. It's in the Philadelphia Catholic church records, a new database they have.

It may not help much, but the closest name I can come up with in Philadelphia is Liscio's (a bakery chain on east coast)... I don't see an 's' tho, looks more like a Livcio ... Unless he was attempting to spell an Italian name and missed the mark.

I can see pinkypinky's 'vew' perpective, but that heavy dotting of the i's... altho the writer seemed to dot i's in random spots.

Fiacio is a real surname apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Poster said fifth from the bottom.

Quite so but I missed it. Apologies.:o

Fior what it's worth I'm seeing Liscio but it's hard to be certain.

Genealogy Forum Mod

In the 1880 US census, I found a Fannie Ficcio, age 23, close to Kate Powell's age. Fannie is born Pennsylvania but both parents were born in Ireland. I searched Lillian *cio. No Lillian at all. Not sure how Fannie could morph into Lillian but anything is possible.

There is also an Isabel La Corcio, age 16, born Italy of parents both born Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm seeing Lillian Liscio - but couldn't be sure. I checked up on Findmypast for the Philadelphia marriages - lots of information on the bride & groom, but none on the witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's not a 'K' - compare it with the K's of Kate. I think it might be aW as in William. Nor do I agree with Gallagher, the LLs are wrong. It also is a 'mixed marriage' if that adds any further help.

"I checked up on Findmypast for the Philadelphia marriages - lots of information on the bride & groom, but none on the witnesses. "--from KildareFan

It is the bride who is my likely relative so any other FMP info would be of great interest to me. I don't have a membership so if you can share that info on the bride and groom, I'd be very grateful. I did find the marriage license free on FamilySearch so have that.

I noticed the 'mixed religions'. Katie Powell was the Catholic. Husband Walter George Phillips either changed his name later or disappeared in some other way.

• Advertisement

It's not a 'K' - compare it with the K's of Kate. I think it might be aW as in William. Nor do I agree with Gallagher, the LLs are wrong. It also is a 'mixed marriage' if that adds any further help.

Hope the poster finds the answer to this 'cos I'd put money on it being Gallagher, if I had any money that is. :)

Advertisement