Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭VirginiaB

Definitely Gallagher, I'd say. I've gone cross-eyed looking at Philadelphia city directories today for these four people--bride, groom, witnesses--and no useful results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

any luck in the newspapers? ...some old wedding announcements mentioned guests in the post

I'll look but Katie Powell was very unlikely to be in the newspapers as a wedding guest. But I will search the addresses on the marriage license which can turn up some interesting bits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you know did they stay in Plhiladelphia long? Might censuses before and after help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's two records of an Ellen Moloney seemingly born to Jer (Jeremiah) Moloney & Ellen Flynn.

Previously I found this one via FindMyPast:

First name(s) Ellen
    Last name Molony
    Baptism date 14 Apr 1846
    Parish Murroe, Boher and Abington
    Father's first name(s) Jemmicas
    Father's last name Molony
    Mother's first name(s) Ellen
    Mother's last name Flynn

IMBGclE.png

Today while looking for another relative, I found a record from March 1849 for what looks like an Ellen Moloney from same parents:

gjfRlC2.jpg

Can anyone accurately make out what each says - what do you think? Perhaps the 1st Ellen died? Or are the fathers different?

Would appreciate if anyone can make out the godparents too - seem to be none for 1846, for 1849 its ??? Molony & Johanne (sp?) Flynn?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like Ellen Rice for a sponsor on the top one and Daniel Molony and Johanna Flynn on the second one.
    The father on the second one looks like James to me.

spurious wrote: »
    Do you know did they stay in Plhiladelphia long? Might censuses before and after help?

They virtually disappeared. Have searched censuses in the US and UK, Philadelphia city directories etc. Katie turns up again, says she is married but no definite sign ever of Walter George Phillips. I wonder if he did a runner.

Katie, now Kathryn, is on several NY passenger ship records working as a companion or nurse to various wealthy people. She gives her US reference as Thomas A Powell, my great-grandfather, who lived in Brooklyn with wife and children.

She was headed for Philly and I think I have her there in the 1930 US census but no death record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    There's two records of an Ellen Moloney seemingly born to Jer (Jeremiah) Moloney & Ellen Flynn.

Previously I found this one via FindMyPast:

First name(s) Ellen
    Last name Molony
    Baptism date 14 Apr 1846
    Parish Murroe, Boher and Abington
    Father's first name(s) Jemmicas
    Father's last name Molony
    Mother's first name(s) Ellen
    Mother's last name Flynn

IMBGclE.png

Today while looking for another relative, I found a record from March 1849 for what looks like an Ellen Moloney from same parents:

gjfRlC2.jpg

Can anyone accurately make out what each says - what do you think? Perhaps the 1st Ellen died? Or are the fathers different?

Would appreciate if anyone can make out the godparents too - seem to be none for 1846, for 1849 its ??? Molony & Johanne (sp?) Flynn?

P.

It was standard practice for the next child of the same gender, to receive the name of his/her deceased sibling.

tabbey wrote: »
    It was standard practice for the next child of the same gender, to receive the name of his/her deceased sibling.

Yup, I suspected that - do you think that _both_ fathers are Jeremiah in this instance? One person thought one might be James. But I reckon the above scenario is more likely than a James and Jeremiah Moloney _both_ marrying
    an Ellen Flynn in a small town.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »
    Yup, I suspected that - do you think that _both_ fathers are Jeremiah in this instance? One person thought one might be James. But I reckon the above scenario is more likely than a James and Jeremiah Moloney _both_ marrying
    an Ellen Flynn in a small town.P.

Probably the same man, but it is impossible to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Looking for help with a memorial from the Registry of Deeds.

The text up to the parts I can't decipher reads as follows...
    To the Registrar appointed by Act of Parliament for registering deeds and so forth, a memorial of an indentured deed of reconveyance of a mortgage bearing date the 20th day of October 1803 and made between Thomas Mall of Urquhan, Esquire, grandson and heir at law of Thomas Mall, deceased, and Urquhart Thomson of the City of Dublin, merchant, ______________ of said Thomas Mall of the first part, Catherine Mall, ______________, now of Elizabeth Archer, late of Prospect, deceased, of the second part...

I haven't come across the phrase before and it appears to be the same in both cases but I can't make it out.

427715.png

427716.png

The full image is available here.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It's ' admin. de bonis non' - It relates to property transfer based on a will. It is version of 'de bonis non administratis', Latin for "of goods not administered". It refers to assets remaining in an estate after the death or removal of the estate administrator. The second administrator is called the 'administrator de bonis non' and distributes the remaining assets.
    I'll bow to the interpretation of Perigrenus, who will no doubt have a view.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'll bow to the interpretation of Perigrenus, who will no doubt have a view.:)

Again and again I have to bow to the collective knowledge on this forum!:)

Thanks Pedro!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Grateful for help with one part of this one:

Yb9HLvw.jpg

I can make out everything for Margaret Moloney on the 13th April, bar one of the godparents. Any idea what that text before "Anne Flynn" is?

"13th Magt for Jeremias Moloney - Ellen Flynn ? ???? Anne Flynn"

Possible surname is Ryan?

P.

I think it says Paul and Anne Flynn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd go for:

13th Margaret dau (daughter of) Jeremiah (?) Moloney and Ellen Flynn.
    sponsors may be Paul (Pawl?) and Anne Flynn.

Honestly not even sure about Jeremiah as the J looks like a G. Best I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi,

Anybody able to do a translation on the following, bottom of page, left hand side Martinus Murphy, parents Richard & Catherine Murphy.

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm04196-11%2f0057&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fbap%2f3980967

(1) Can anybody read the olim name for me?
    (2) The godparents names for me?
    (3) what is the 'conjugum a me' field and name written there. Is that the priest name?

Many Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thread merged: please post these queries in the specific thread.

1. Walsh (mother's birth surname)
    2. Patrick and Helen Rourke
    3. Means that the parents are a married couple. The priest's name is after that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Thanks for that. Apologies for wrong thread

No problem at all. All mods wish their job was just merging threads!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Looking for help with reading this. It was on a sheet in my granddad's house. It says: The last of the Hy Many ... died in 1898 so the CDB bought the land.
    I can't figure out what the word is after Many. It looks like there's a dot after the word so maybe it's some sort of abbreviation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I think it's a colloquial word for, ahem.... protestants.

Agree!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Ah ... I see thank ye both for that. Hope no one's offended. All that I could make out was pirds. I'd say that's probably right given the context since there are still Hy Many people alive today. Hmm I wonder where that land was. Anyway thanks for clearing that up.

In my youth I was known as the local Proddy-woddy amongst the local kids! :D Wikipedia says "Uí Maine, often Anglicised as Hy Many, was one of the oldest and largest kingdoms located in Connacht, Ireland." the historians here are better able to explain more I'm sure but I'm also curious to know what C.D.B. means? County board or council maybe?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    In my youth I was known as the local Proddy-woddy amongst the local kids! :D Wikipedia says "Uí Maine, often Anglicised as Hy Many, was one of the oldest and largest kingdoms located in Connacht, Ireland." the historians here are better able to explain more I'm sure but I'm also curious to know what C.D.B. means? County board or council maybe?

I believe CDB stands for the Congested Districts Board.

According to Wikipedia: The C.D.B. was authorised to purchase extra land from large estates to enlarge the small holdings of tenants. In 1909, it was granted compulsory powers of purchase and began redistributing over 1,000 estates totalling 2,000,000 acres (8,100 km2).

Well at least I know that my granddad didn't write it since it wasn't his writing (as well as the fact that they refer to themselves as once being a 'wee lass'. My mum's reaction to hearing the word was, 'How nice ...'

I gather this was a private baptism, but does the Latin give any further information?
    noteinregister.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »
    I gather this was a private baptism, but does the Latin give any further information?

Yes, it was a private baptism (i.e. not in a church). It's also a 'conditional baptism'.

Yes, it was a private baptism (i.e. not in a church). It's also a 'conditional baptism'.

I'm reading 'Sub-conditional'. Is that different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Sub conditione is a Latin term meaning “under the condition.” You may encounter the term in Roman-Catholic baptismal records in cases when the midwife performed an emergency baptism. If the child lived, the child would be baptized again by the priest, under the condition that he was able to receive the baptism [from https://www.dutchgenealogy.nl/sub-conditione/]

Advertisement