Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I'd like some help with The first marriage return on this page:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10798/5938083.pdf

I'd love to get confirmation of her maiden name, and her address

Michael Anderson and Martha Sweetnam(?)

His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"
    Her address I can't make out - beyond "Parish of"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

yaledo wrote: »
    ...I'd love to get confirmation of her maiden name, and her address

Michael Anderson and Martha Sweetnam(?)

His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"

Bride and her father's surnames look like "Sweetnam", and BMD Index shows the same. For her residence possibly Murrahin North which is in the civil parish of Kilcoe.

ETA : two Sweetnam households in the townland of Murrahin North in 1901

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There are Sweetnams in 'Murrahin North, Kilcoe' on this 1901 census page -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Kilcoe/Murrahin_North/1159350/

The spelling on the entry looks like 'Morahin' which might be a variation.

Lol, beaten :)

..His address is "Roury, Parish of Ross"

possibility for 'Roury' - Rouryglen (Logainm.ie/placename db) in Ross civil parish

in case it's of interest - the minister was Horace Thomas Townsend and he was the incumbent in the late 1880s early 1890s, the Church of Ireland Parish church was at Corravoley townland. There's no church at the location today, but the graveyard survives - OSI Map (c1840s), Google street view

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Can anyone make out what's written in the final column of this first couple (Rosanna Lalor and Jeremiah Dunne) here please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

In case you're wondering why Rowryglen might sound familiar - I've had help on this forum [including from shanew in particular] on this same family some years ago.

Martha Anderson continued to own & operate the mill at Rowryglen, after her husband died in 1909. She is listed in various directories as "Mrs. Anderson".

The details of her marriage are new to me - always a bit exciting to find a new direct antecedent - especially with such a distinctive (easily googleable) name as Sweetnam.

Certainly it is interesting to know about the graveyard at Corravoley - quite close to the Sweetnam home at Murrahin North. Is this the only COI church in Kilcoe parish (just wondering how you identified it)? Thanks for the extra detail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Can anyone make out what's written in the final column of this first couple (Rosanna Lalor and Jeremiah Dunne) here please?

Looks like 'both were married before' to me, but it's crossed out, so maybe it was a mistake. I see the same thing is beside another couple later.

That's what I thought, exactly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

....Certainly it is interesting to know about the graveyard at Corravoley - quite close to the Sweetnam home at Murrahin North. Is this the only COI church in Kilcoe parish (just wondering how you identified it)? Thanks for the extra detail.

I used a combination of Lewis 1837 Topographical Dictionary and the 1st Edition OSI maps to locate the various Church of Ireland Churches in the late 1830s/early 40s, it's a work in progress but Kilcoe parish which was in Ross Diocese is an area I've completed. The entry for the parish in Lewis mentions one CofI church, although he describes it as being near the centre of the parish, and no chapels of ease - the only one I located on the 1840s maps was the one at Corravoley, it's also shown on the later c1890s OSI map.

• Advertisement

Can anyone make out the address of the deceased on the last entry on this page?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1929/04944/4343892.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

39 Cuffe Street?

39 Cuffe Street?

+1 for "late of 39 Cuffe Street"

the address is listed as Thos. Norton, lodging house in Thom's 1927 and 1930

Thanks. I think he's a contender for my gg grandfather's brother - age matches with baptism date and the right area. The death was in the workhouse though so no helpful relative name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

This is a child who sadly died at the Clonskeagh fever hospital. Family lore is that he died of pneumonia.
    I recognize "cardio-respiratory" as the first word, I'm lost with the rest.

Acute is the first word in each of the next 2 lines.

laryngeal bronchial?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

This is a child who sadly died at the Clonskeagh fever hospital. Family lore is that he died of pneumonia.
    I recognize "cardio-respiratory" as the first word, I'm lost with the rest.

To me it looks like cardio-respiratory arrest, acute laryngo bronchial (spasm?), acute cardiac failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭BottleOfSmoke

srmf5 wrote: »
    To me it looks like cardio-respiratory arrest, acute laryngo bronchial (spasm?), acute cardiac failure.

Yes, I see that from what you said, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Can anyone help decipher the Residence of the parents in this record?

The record is the last row on the image:
    Thomas Keogh and Bridget Lowry

I think the Parents are John & Bridget and Patrick & Mary.

I have included the full image as I think the residence for John & Bridget is the same as some other records but I can't figure those out either. It looks like Sead or Gead ?

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    I think the residence for John & Bridget is the same as some other records

Yes it is.... in the next world.

i.e. 'Dead'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Yes it is.... in the next world.

i.e. 'Dead'.

LOL
    How did I not cop that :rolleyes: Txs!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi,

Wondering if somebody could translate some text of the attached jpg. It's from the St Mullins marriage register 1859.

I have Richard Murphy married to I believe Catharine Walsh. The next column
    is xxx Murphy & I think Elizabeth Shea. Anybody translate the first name xxx.
    Also is this column the parents or witnesses of the marriage?

The final column I believe is residence. The address looks like Coolyhoon but there is no Coolyhoon that I can find but there is a Coolyhune in St Mullins which is probably the real name unless anybody knows of a Coolyhoon?

Thanks in advance

lots of spelling variation for Coolyhune listed on the placename database (logainm.ie) including Coolyhoone

The additional names are likely witnesses

for the first witness possibly : Jno. (John) Murphy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

witness Jno Murphy - Jno usually used to denote John

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Thank you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Is anyone able to decipher this soldier's disability, listed on the first line of the image? (any guess is much appreciated)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Chronic Irritability(?) of Eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Thanks Spurious!!!! :)

I just couldn't see it (no pun intended) ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think it's irritability because the gap between the 't' and the 'b' is too big. Can't come up with the answer though.

Advertisement