Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Whereisgerry?

Sorry.. with attachment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

marasmus - basically a form of starvation where the baby fails to thrive.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Marasmus after measles 4 months certified?

pinkypinky wrote: »
    marasmus - basically a form of starvation where the baby fails to thrive.

Thanks Pinky! That's so sad! Poor little thing! They had 4 children and 2 died within 3 months of each other. Tough old life back then.

Sklarker wrote: »
    Marasmus after measles 4 months certified?

Yes I think you are right Sklarker. It certainly looks like measles. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Thanks Pinky! That's so sad! Poor little thing! They had 4 children and 2 died within 3 months of each other. Tough old life back then.

Any ideas where this child might be buried? I checked Glasnevin but there no sign of her or her brother who died in Nov 1881 - they lived on Capel St at the time of her death in Feb 1882.

Alright, this one is a serious challenge!

It's the last entry on this page. There is an incomplete transcription on irishgenealogy.ie but it's the bride's parents' address, dispensations, and the notes column on the far right that I'm interested in.

Part II:
    Same church and similarly difficult. This is a sibling of the bride above.

I'm again interested in the bride's parents' address (I can make out Carlow but not the words above) and the dispensation note.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I haven't seen many more difficult than that, can't help you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Its awful. Can't make out anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

me neither - I think the best bet would be to contact North Wall Parish/St. Laurence O'Toole to see if they can assist.

• Advertisement

Well I'm glad it's not just me! I'll ring them in the morning.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It looks like the first one was moved as it was scanned. Which entry on the second page? There might be more of a chance there.

Apologies: 5th from bottom on the second link.

I do have the civil record for both marriages, but it does look like there's more to read on the church copies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭turninggreen

Hi All,

Anybody able to tell me what the word is written on far right of the baptism record - 3 Record Down Osborne

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01428/1586062.pdf

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Hi All,

Anybody able to tell me what the word is written on far right of the baptism record - 3 Record Down Osborne

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1913/01428/1586062.pdf

Thanks in advance

it's a civil birth record rather than a baptism - the wording at the end looks like a note indicating that the correction to the residence of the informant in column 8 in in 'copy only'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Apologies: 5th from bottom on the second link.

I do have the civil record for both marriages, but it does look like there's more to read on the church copies.

Rathduff. The dispensation note looks similar to others, first part seems like a dispensation from banns.

Thanks - I meant to post yesterday that the church was helpful to a degree.
    They gave me the details of the note on the first marriage (the groom is a native of the Gold Coast, South Africa) and the bride's parents' address was Chapelizod.

On the second marriage, they confirmed it said Rathduff, Bagnelstown, Co. Carlow.

But they refused to give me the dispensation details because they "couldn't read it and couldn't give me a photo of a private record". I replied that the image was already on the NLI site so in the public domain but got no response.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd say if you could find an older priest, he'd recognise what the dispensation was. There were only so many possibilities really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

On a point of clarity I’m not aware of any Gold Coast in South Africa. The Gold Coast was a former British colony and is in West Africa, most of it is present-day Ghana.
    @Spurious, I agree; I don’t know about that parish, but more than two thirds of RC priests are aged more than 55 and about half of that cohort is older than 65. Credo Latina didicit ab omni sacerdotes aetate illius.

I agree, and I suspect it doesn't say "south" but just Africa. The civil cert mentions the Gold Coast in Africa too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Would someone mind telling me what church the first wedding was held in?
    I can't make out the handwriting at all.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10811/5942781.pdf
    435092.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Maybe St. Saviours?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That does look like it all right. Thanks montgo.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

For entry 150, can anyone make out the address and what is written under formerly for the mother's name? It doesn't look like spinster. Thanks.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01765/1695002.pdf

EDIT: Looking at the address of who registered it, it looks like 3 Campbell Street South but I have no idea where that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    For entry 150, can anyone make out the address and what is written under formerly for the mother's name? It doesn't look like spinster. Thanks.
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1905/01765/1695002.pdf

EDIT: Looking at the address of who registered it, it looks like 3 Campbell Street South but I have no idea where that is.

Formerly Gunne?

There was a Campbell Street off Old Lodge Road, but probably not South.

It says 'a spinner'.
    It seems to be the habit of that Registrar where if the father's name is not given, he gives the profession of the mother. If you look forward a couple of pages to Entries 212 and 215 on this page you will see the same thing. In those cases, a spinner and a winder.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

spurious wrote: »
    It says 'a spinner'.
    It seems to be the habit of that Registrar where if the father's name is not given, he gives the profession of the mother. If you look forward a couple of pages to Entries 212 and 215 on this page you will see the same thing. In those cases, a spinner and a winder.

Thank you. That seems like it alright. I thought that it might be an occupation but I couldn't recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

srmf5 wrote: »
    For entry 150,

I have found Campbell Street South in the Geographia street map of Belfast, undated but about late 1960s / early 70s. It was too small to show on the actual map, but was in the street list with location.
    This area was largely demolished for redevelopment in the 1970s and 80s.

It was on the north side of Divis Street, (now A501) immediately west of the bridge over the Westlink (A12). Townsend Streetand Fingal's Court now covers the area.

The area is dominated by the Divis Flats, infamous during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭threetrees

Hi, first time posting here and a newbie to research. I'm hooked now! Looking for the cause of death on line 20. Looks like "something something certified".

Thanks

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05480/4534453.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

threetrees wrote: »
    Hi, first time posting here and a newbie to research. I'm hooked now! Looking for the cause of death on line 20. Looks like "something something certified".
    Looks to me like "Infantile atrophy". [Seems awful!]

Advertisement