Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bellaf

Although he is is listed as McCarthy in the '01 census, which further muddies the water -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Moyanna/Garrymaddock/1644940/

Yes, I am afraid John Carty also became "McCarthy" sometime between 1884 and 1888 judging by the birth registrations for their children. That made him hard to find and he also moved around a lot with his job. This is the link:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Castleknock/Castleknock/1268844/

Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Although he is is listed as McCarthy in the '01 census, which further muddies the water -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Moyanna/Garrymaddock/1644940/
    bellaf wrote: »
    Do you think John Carty’s mother’s name could be Bridget?

If you're happy that the above link is the correct family, then we can see below from his brother Thomas' registration that their mother is once again listed as Jane -

jbYbAe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Any idea what the mother's name was here?

GyFYtPc.png

Spelled "Mamane" or "Marnane", wondering what name they were trying to spell?

Also, the male witness - looks like "Jn" (John)?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Mother: Mary Marnane
    Witness could be P, would need to compare with other Ps & Js on same page.

What looks like a male relative of Mary registered her birth as an "inmate" - any idea what that could refer to?

u9UgpYi.png

• Advertisement

In that context it generally means 'supervisor', i.e at a workhouse or hospital.

In that context it generally means 'supervisor', i.e at a workhouse or hospital.

Ah interesting, so do you think she was in the workhouse temporarily and her relative just happened to work there? (He's also a sponsor on the baptism.)

P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mary Margaret was born in the workhouse.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

oceanclub wrote: »
    What looks like a male relative of Mary registered her birth as an "inmate" - any idea what that could refer to?

u9UgpYi.png

Does it say somewhere that there was a workhouse at the place of birth? It appears to be a rural townland. An inmate may just mean the informant was resident in the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Would the fact that the birth appears to have been registered on the day of the birth suggest the event took place in an institution such as a workhouse rather than a household?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭VirginiaB

Can anyone read the names of these two baptismal sponsors for my great-grandmother, Mary Sheehan? The third and last name is the priest but it's the sponsors I need. I'm researching all the sponsors in hopes of finding the origin in Ireland of my great-great grandparents--William Sheehan and Ann Frawley. This is my fourth try at posting an image in the message. I'll have to leave it as a link if I fail again. Sorry and thanks.438331.jpg

Here is the image.438331.jpg

John Grinsel (probably also sometimes spelled Grinsell or Grincell) and Mary McGarr.

Hermy wrote: »
    Would the fact that the birth appears to have been registered on the day of the birth suggest the event took place in an institution such as a workhouse rather than a household?

From going through pdfs on Irish Genealogy, institutions often registered in batches rather than singly. A number of informants are listed as inmates on the pages near this particular registration. If there's a workhouse in this townland fine but it's not obvious (to me at least!) that this is a workhouse registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

oceanclub wrote: »

u9UgpYi.png

Where is this?, what SRD and dispensary district?

Occupier and inmate could be a workhouse, hospital or private nursing home.

The father being a farmer makes it very unlikely that the family were in a workhouse, except that the mother might be in the infirmary for giving birth, and a farmer's wife would almost certainly give birth at home.

Theinformant being a relativeof the mother suggests he was a resident of the couples home.

'John Grinsel (probably also sometimes spelled Grinsell or Grincell) and Mary McGarr.'

Thanks for these suggestions. Hard to tell if the first name has a double L or E. Grinsell is an exceedingly rare name. And the double R in McGarr doesn't look like the double R in the priest's name which is why I wasn't sure about it myself.

tabbey wrote: »

Occupier and inmate could be a workhouse, hospital or private nursing home.

The father being a farmer makes it very unlikely that the family were in a workhouse, except that the mother might be in the infirmary for giving birth, and a farmer's wife would almost certainly give birth at home.

Theinformant being a relativeof the mother suggests he was a resident of the couples home.

It's in Limerick Registration District. Inmate was also used for occupants of a house, not just institutions. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/inmate

VirginiaB wrote: »
    'John Grinsel (probably also sometimes spelled Grinsell or Grincell) and Mary McGarr.'

Thanks for these suggestions. Hard to tell if the first name has a double L or E. Grinsell is an exceedingly rare name. And the double R in McGarr doesn't look like the double R in the priest's name which is why I wasn't sure about it myself.

I think what's there is either Grinsll or Grinsel. There doesn't seem to be an 'e' there to make Grinsell. Either way it looks like some variant of that name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

tabbey wrote: »

birth took place on Toberagarriff townland near to Moroe

Have seen the father here transcribed as Bernard Moloney:

L33TBIF.png

However, around the same time there is a birth with the same mother's name to an Edmund Moloney:

yAqtCQ3.png

I'm inclined to think that "Bernard" is actually Edmund. Any thoughts?

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd vote Edmund...

Thanks for the reply.

Thoughts on the bride's father's first name on the Reilly Murphy marriage on this page please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Jerh for Jeremiah I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree with mm1 - Jerh for Jeremiah

Yes, I'd concur. Thanks all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi all, anyone take a guess what the groom's address (probably a Limerick one) is?
    Moloney-375.png
    Thanks,

P.

could it be Clooncommons (Cloon and Commons), Stradbally civil parish, Limerick?
    It's a townland which covers part of the town of Castleconnell,and abt 13km NW of Murroe

shanew wrote: »
    could it be Clooncommons (Cloon and Commons), Stradbally civil parish, Limerick?
    It's a townland which covers part of the town of Castleconnell,and abt 13km NW of Murroe
    That's a possibility alright! I was sure I saw an "i" near the end of the word so that threw me off. It would fit in with a family history which talks about that woman (and her 2 sisters) getting married off to guys from Castleconnell anyway....
    P.

• Advertisement

there is a dot - but thinking it might be stray. Something like 13 letters in all, so two words combined makes sense. First letter def. a C, cf the C in Con, 2nd an L as per Clare, after that possibly o , and n or m and a c.... as for the rest a couple of n or m's later on and maybe an o and a possible s in the middle of the line.

p.s. wonder if there's a transcript of the civil or parish marriage on RootsIreland

Advertisement