Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The 'i' threw me off aswell. I've looked up the Limerick placenames beginning 'Clo' in a couple of sources but no match with the i included. But if it's a stray then Clooncommons looks a real possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Both findmypast and NLI only have Murroe church marriage records up to 1882; I wonder if RootsIreland have later (so they have a complete list of what they have anywhere handy?)

EDIT: Ah yes, it turns out:  http://www.rootsireland.ie/limerick-genealogy/limerick-roman-catholic/

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

The civil record on Roots Ireland records his address as Clouncommons while the church record has it recorded as Knocknagorteeny.

srmf5 wrote: »
    The civil record on Roots Ireland records his address as Clouncommons while the church record has it recorded as Knocknagorteeny.

Thanks, appreciate that!

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sorry Oceanclub I was away and could not access my 'stuff'.

I’ve done some research on families from that locality for the period of 1830’s to the Famine. It was very disturbed, lots of serious crime and also evictions. Cloon usually is described as ‘Cloon & Lacka’ but also as ‘Cloon and Commons’. I’ve never seen it run together as Clooncommons.

Sir John de Burgho was the head landlord of the area; he was a descendant of the Red Earl of Ulster. Various ‘middlemen’ went bankrupt due to non-payment of rent and much of the land in it and surrounding townlands was sold in the Encumbered Estates Courts. I'm having difficulty posting an image but will try again later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Hi all

I need help with the wife's name in the entry highlighted in yellow
    This is from Marriages in Moycullen in 1807

I think it says:
    7| John Bane (?) ? Walsh Gortiloghlin

440123.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Joan Walsh. The next word looks more like a P than a G.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Joan Walsh. The next word looks more like a P than a G.

Joan Walsh makes sense, go raibh maith agat.

I'm 99.99% sure Gortiloghlin is the placename - though I see what you mean about the letter looking like a 'P'.

gsGQeTk.png

Hi there,

Would love if anyone could make out what appears to be a note at the end of this baptism record:

"30th Bridget of Matt Leary & Maria Creaton (N/O)
    Michael Corbett & Ann Malone (Newport)"

Looks like "Late of..." something? with a few names or placenames.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I can't decipher very much of it, but I think it is not a note on the baptism of Bridget Leary, but another entry shoehorned in: "Patt of ? ? & Julia Birdy Sps. Patt & ? Burke ?".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

...I think it is not a note on the baptism of Bridget Leary, but another entry shoehorned in...

Agree with that.

Perhaps "Patt of Laurence ??? and Julia Burke..."

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, that makes sense. I've sometimes seen someone's marriage appended to their baptism but this is not the case here.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Agree with Hermy - it is another baptism . The remainder is Sps. Patr & Maggie Burke. The last bit could be a placename/their address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi
    I'm looking for a Surname deciphered please .

On the attachment it's the third one down in the middle column

It looks like Formerly; Bouice /Growuce...

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bridget Lyster formerly Cronin?

Agreed, Cronin. The 'n' in Waldron, immediately below, looks similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Great stuff. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Hi
    I'm looking for a Surname deciphered please .

On the attachment it's the third one down in the middle column

It looks like Formerly; Bouice /Growuce...

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Cronin

hQcd4pf.png

Looking for the address here, which would have been a Court in Dun Laoghaire. Looks like "Price's"? However, that name doesn't appear in this book which lists the names of now gone courts in DL: "Conditions of the Poor in Kingstown 1850-70" (PDF available via Google)

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

oceanclub wrote: »
    hQcd4pf.png

Looking for the address here, which would have been a Court in Dun Laoghaire. Looks like "Price's"? However, that name doesn't appear in this book which lists the names of now gone courts in DL: "Conditions of the Poor in Kingstown 1850-70" (PDF available via Google)

P.

It does look like Prices. Is it possible to see the rest of the page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 murfi59

Hi
    Could it be Vines?
    K

Pim's Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,344 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could it be Pius, after the Pope?

Water John wrote: »
    Could it be Pius, after the Pope?

Courts were named after the person who owned them.

No court in Kingstown / DunLaoghaire was owned by any pope.

tabbey wrote: »
    Pim's Court?

I think that's right, there's was a Pim's Court alright :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kingstown/Pims_Court/

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

What a fantastic resource! You may be able to help me with this...

1834_05_04_George_Molyneux_B_Balyna.png

In the 5th line from the top, the entry is George of George Molyneux Bríd? Carty Sp Jno? Blay? Magt ????

Interestingly, 3 lines down, listed as a sponsor, is a similar looking name as the last name on that entry, where it looks like Clary.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Edit. I inserted the incorrect image link for BB use

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd say the last bit is Margt (short for Margaret) Connor
    Jno is John or Jonathan

Biddy is written on another line and the B looks similar to the mother's first name but it's blurry. Brid's a good guess but I don't see an R.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Thanks, PinkyPinky. As you're of the same view that it is B + id, was it common for Bid to be used as a shortened form of Biddy/Bridget, as Bríd is??

Given that they're not family names for further searching, the sponsors' names don't actually matter all that much.

I think the last name might be 'Ennis' if that dot over what looks like an 'i' is real.

Agree with the others; Carty, John, some form of Bridget and Clary (colloquial Cleary).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm getting a Margaret Francis or Ennis. (Sorry if this sounds like a seance!)

Advertisement