Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I thought it looked a bit like a Farsay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rootsireland suggests Larry.
    There is a Laurence Beirne died 1873 on irishgenealogy but the image is not one uploaded yet.

**edit rootsireland have a transcript giving an address of Garvagh and an informant as James Beirne.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'm torn between all of the above myself but the first letter of the name matches the L in Leitrim in the full image and the death of a Laurence Beirne in Garvagh seems to fit also.
    Thanks for the replies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Can someone cast an eye over this baptism record on 28 May 1827? Was Morgan(um), son of Matthew Blackburn an illegitimate son?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'd say so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

thanks for confirming, Pinky.

Another record on 23/24 Oct 1818, (bottom of RHS page), what is the first name/word?

Parentibus?*

*this may not be a real word

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does it just mean parents? Could a child be baptised without being given a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm not even sure the first letter is 'P', having looked at similar p's on the document, this one is different.

Oh, if "parentibus", then parents perhaps? Omitted the name of child.

• Advertisement

Spurious, got in ahead of me. Unusual though?

montgo wrote: »
    Spurious, got in ahead of me. Unusual though?

Quite odd. While I know christening/baptism are terms used interchangeably, technically afaik a baptism does not have to involve giving a name (emergencies etc.).

What is the word after Nugent?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it says "Susceptoribus", i.e. "undertaker (of something)/ contractor", or "tax collector".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/susceptoribus
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/susceptor#Latin

That's if I'm looking at the right record.

EDIT - No, I was looking at the wrong one, apologies. And I agree, I also think that reads "Parentibus"

spurious wrote: »
    Quite odd. While I know christening/baptism are terms used interchangeably, technically afaik a baptism does not have to involve giving a name (emergencies etc.).

What is the word after Nugent?

Good question about the word following Nugent. Any ideas?

The word after Catharina Nugent looks like "de Fallon", the one after Anna Nugent looks like "Susceptr".

The words after Catherina Nugent are "Tallow Bridge". Thx for deciphering the word after the Anna Nugent.

The same priest has written what looks like 'Suscepteribus' after at least one other entry, as well as a few other Parentibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm04193-09%2f0013&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fmar%2f1340390%2f1

F5Wlitu.png

Pretty sure the groom is "James" based on other evidence, but can anyone help me with the groom's parents?

Groom: Something Oliver + Catherine Jacob (?)
    Bride: Thomas & Maria Cullen

EDIT: Also grateful if anyone can make out the related observation here:

fvjosBS.png

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Father's name looks like Gulielmus for William.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

James is recorded as 'Jacobus' and mother looks like Catherine Jacob; can't make out the side note.

• Advertisement

Could that James be an Eamon, or do I need glasses?

The name just before Jacob looks like Nathaniel to me.

I think what looks like the 'N' of Nathaniel is in fact 'et C' as in and Catherine.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think if you could get to see the actual register you'd be able to make a better guess at the Latin bit at the end. The scan is a little bit out of focus. I haven't yet found another entry with similar.

I may be way off, but wondering is it some reference to Pius, the Pope at that time?

**edit The 'Ep' may indicate something to do with the bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Family2010

Hi I am looking for help with a name written in the Aghaboe Parish records
    Can anyone help identifying the name written in the record
    James Cleere, Mary ??????
    Many thanks

link to Full page here,,,,,, https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635288#page/98/mode/1up

There were 7 children born to James Cleere or Cleer and his wife Mary . In 1 case Mary is recorded as Mary Cleere while in the other 6 it looks like Visten or something but also possible that the first letter is and N ?
    I have attached images for 4 births - thanks in advance for your help as I would love to find out who James Wife was. I am descended through a daughter Anne.

Simon

I've moved Family2010's post into the handwriting thread.

Can you please also give us the link to the whole page so we can see other examples of the same handwriting?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Family2010 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for help with a name written in the Aghaboe Parish records
    Can anyone help identifying the name written in the record
    James Cleere, Mary ??????
    Many thanks
    Simon

Mary Nestor? Witnesses: Patt Maher and Mary Maher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE/PRS/BAP/0434650

This placename looks like "Bussanile"? Doesn't match any townlands near Newport, Co. Tipperary:

https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/newport/

nr2TFhc.png

oceanclub wrote: »
    ...This placename looks like "Bussanile"?...

Would that first letter be an R rather than a B?
    Maybe Russaville? Not that I can find that either...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

oceanclub wrote: »
    https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE/PRS/BAP/0434650

This placename looks like "Bussanile"? Doesn't match any townlands near Newport, Co. Tipperary:

https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/newport/

nr2TFhc.png

There's a townland called Rossaguile near Newport.

Advertisement