Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Family2010

Yes That is a possibility - I added 3 more images if you can have a look please
    Thanks
    Simon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Looks more like Verton in one of them.

Can you put in the link to the whole page?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Could the first letter be a weird ampersand?

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could the first letter be a weird ampersand?
    Yes looks a bit like that. In some places I think the first letter may be a V while othertimes seems more like an N ?
    Apart from the first letter are the other letters estin ? which make me wonder could the name be Jestin ?

• Advertisement

Could be "ertin" as well but why wouldn't it be capitalised?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Certainly looks like Vestin/Vesten but I wonder could it be Westin? Was this lady Irish? Could a foreign accent have been involved? Have you found marriage record? Can't see anything on Ancestry that matches.

Having had a look at civil records on Irish Genealogy there were a lot of Vanstons in the Abbeyleix reg. district, could that be it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Looks like Westin to me.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Certainly looks like Vestin/Vesten but I wonder could it be Westin? Was this lady Irish? Could a foreign accent have been involved? Have you found marriage record? Can't see anything on Ancestry that matches.
    This lady is a bit of a mystery - have also heard that she may have been a French Governess - searched high and low and have not found the marriage record.
    Their first child was born in January 1846 so marriage had to occur before March 1845.

• Advertisement

Having had a look at civil records on Irish Genealogy there were a lot of Vanstons in the Abbeyleix reg. district, could that be it?

Considered Vanston but seems to have too many letters?

Had not considered Westin - will go back and look at how that Priest wrote his Capital W

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a William on one of the pages you quoted.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could be "ertin" as well but why wouldn't it be capitalised?

No - was asking if all agreed that the letters after the Capital (V, N or whatever) were estin ? Thanks

spurious wrote: »
    There is a William on one of the pages you quoted.
    Yes on page 95 theres a few Williams and a Whelan or two and for me they are not the same ; have a look at the bottom of page 95 on the left hans side - there's a Nolan - is the N similar to the capital in her name ? I think that the N starts on the base line so do not think it looks right. It is hard to find a capital V to compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Family2010 wrote: »
    Yes on page 95 theres a few Williams and a Whelan or two and for me they are not the same ; have a look at the bottom of page 95 on the left hans side - there's a Nolan - is the N similar to the capital in her name ?

All the entries look like they start with V - Viston, Visten. One of the sponsors on John Cleere's baptism seems to be Margaret Visten?

Vetch wrote: »
    All the entries look like they start with V - Viston, Visten. One of the sponsors on John Cleere's baptism seems to be Margaret Visten?

I saw that Margaret and the more I look at it again now the more I think that its a V. As I have no marriage for them I do not know what parish she would have lived in ( giving credence to her being a French Governess) and have nowhere to look for the Visten/Vestin name. But Mary and Margaret are good Irish names and that part leads me away from the French connection. Will go an look in records for Viston/Vestin anywhere in the neighbouring counties

Just had a look on Irish Genealogy and only similar matching name that comes up is Vestor - a birth and a death in Galway and in 1901 census in Dublin a Galway born Bridget Vestor aged 19. Will look further into this name Thanks

There were Westons in Mountmellick.

Family2010 wrote: »
    I saw that Margaret and the more I look at it again now the more I think that its a V. As I have no marriage for them I do not know what parish she would have lived in ( giving credence to her being a French Governess) and have nowhere to look for the Visten/Vestin name. But Mary and Margaret are good Irish names and that part leads me away from the French connection. Will go an look in records for Viston/Vestin anywhere in the neighbouring counties

Just had a look on Irish Genealogy and only similar matching name that comes up is Vestor - a birth and a death in Galway and in 1901 census in Dublin a Galway born Bridget Vestor aged 19. Will look further into this name Thanks

When I look at the handwriting there I think it is not Vestor but Nestor and theres lots of Nestors in Glaway, Clare Limerick etc. No Nestors near Aghaboe

I think it's a V, if you look at the Nolan on the top of Mary's baptism page the N is swept up from the bottom whereas the V begins at the top. Also on James' baptism it's clearly a V for both Mary & Margaret?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

There's something in brackets on the Jane Wixted record here (almost halfway down right hand page) that looks like "(acatholicii)":

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm02494-04%2f0022&parentid=ire%2fprs%2fbap%2f0227555

Any idea what that indicates?

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I'd imagine it means Protestant or at least non-Catholic. The Acattolici cemetery in Rome was for non-Catholic residents or even tourists who died while visiting the city.

I'd imagine it means Protestant or at least non-Catholic. The Acattolici cemetery in Rome was for non-Catholic residents or even tourists who died while visiting the city.

Thanks - I presume in the position given, it referred to the mother of the baptised?

P.

Has anyone heard of "Gillan" being an alternative name for William? I know that in Latin, "Gulielmus" is William.

For example, the following illegitimate child is shown as what looks like "Gillan" or "Gillon" in the baptism record:

https://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=IRE/PRS/BAP/0428873

I thought this was Gillian, but then that does not really seem to be a common name in Tipp/Limerick of last century.

Now a distant relative thinks they're pretty sure that is actually a indirect ancestor of theirs, William (his half-brother being their direct ancestor).

Does that sound plausible?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

oceanclub wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of "Gillan" being an alternative name for William? I know that in Latin, "Gulielmus" is William.

For example, the following illegitimate child is shown as what looks like "Gillan" or "Gillon" in the baptism record:

I thought this was Gillian, but then that does not really seem to be a common name in Tipp/Limerick of last century.

Now a distant relative thinks they're pretty sure that is actually a indirect ancestor of theirs, William (his half-brother being their direct ancestor).

P.

I'd say that it probably is the Latin for William. It's probably just spelt wrong. If you look at the original register, there's another entry with Gillon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

Can anyone decipher this please

Can anyone decipher this please

Drumhay
    Newbliss
    Drumgole
    Rockcorry

oceanclub wrote: »

P.

There are other entries for Gillan / Gillon / Gillin and William is also listed in some entries. Any of the other entries I looked at are in English. Would suggest seeing if you can track one of them forward, maybe in a marriage record, to see what they are listed as.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

Vetch wrote: »
    Drumhay
    Newbliss
    Drumgole
    Rockcorry

thanks

how did you do that?

I had drumahair leitrim and drumgole roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

thanks

how did you do that?

I had drumahair leitrim and drumgole roscommon

I got the same as Vetch. Its just what the eyes see. That's why this thread is so good. :) Best to have more eyes on the job.

Advertisement