Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It looks to me like Cecily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'd go with Cecily as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

It looks to me like Cecily.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I'd go with Cecily as well.

Thanks for the help. :) I'm going with Cecily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could be Cicely.

ETA: weird, boards was only showing me one post after Alan's - some gremlins around. After I posted my line above, it refreshed and there was a whole lot more comments, which I'm glad to see concur with me!

Any new people - feel free to pm me and ask me to insert a link if you're not at the level of posting links yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Just need to confirm that it was Patrick, son of John Cuddihy who was baptised 17 March 1831 here (left side of page) and not Catherine as transcribed by Roots? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

montgo wrote: »
    Just need to confirm that it was Patrick, son of John Cuddihy who was baptised 17 March 1831 here (left side of page) and not Catherine as transcribed by Roots? Many thanks.
    Agreed. There are other instances of Patricius on the page that are similar in style, and I see a couple of Catherinas that are distinctively different.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Cheers. Thank you.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Could be Cicely.

ETA: weird, boards was only showing me one post after Alan's - some gremlins around. After I posted my line above, it refreshed and there was a whole lot more comments, which I'm glad to see concur with me!

Any new people - feel free to pm me and ask me to insert a link if you're not at the level of posting links yet.

Thanks again pinkypinky. :)

can anyone make out anything in the address for the second Witness Alice Killeen on this marriage ?
    I think the first letter is a K....

371922.jpg

The marriage took place in 18 Jan 1875 in the Pro-Cathedral St. Mary's Marlborough St., Dublin City - Transcript and Image

I know the bride's family lived at Ballymaghroe townland - the one in Moyne civil parish near Hackettown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Knockananna - half way between Moyne and Hackettstown

looks good - the only letters I could make out were two Ks and and a possible 'ana'.. Knockananna was the only reasonably good match I found on wildcard searches

thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Knockananna - half way between Moyne and Hackettstown

That would be my reading of it too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes, Knockananna, often heard it mentioned so it was obvious - but not if you are not familiar with it.

Can anybody make out the full meaning of this marriage entry in Annaghdown parish, Co. Galway?

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631988#page/179/mode/1up

January 19th 1865: Begora, Edm. Cahill to Sara Nolan, Witnesses: ? Cahill and Mary Nolan, ? ? ? consanguinatatis.

I think the marriage dispensation bit means they are second cousins but it is difficult to make out the whole line. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Alan259 wrote: »
    Can anybody make out the full meaning of this marriage entry in Annaghdown parish, Co. Galway?

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000631988#page/179/mode/1up

January 19th 1865: Begora, Edm. Cahill to Sara Nolan, Witnesses: ? Cahill and Mary Nolan, ? ? ? consanguinatatis.

I think the marriage dispensation bit means they are second cousins but it is difficult to make out the whole line. Thanks.

The witness is Jas. Cahill

The dispensation bit is - dispenti in 3 3
    Next to the two 3s is the little superscript circle used to denote degree

Agreed on Jas Cahill. The other word is 'causa'. The heading looks more like Bigora - is it a townland?

CeannRua wrote: »
    The witness is Jas. Cahill

The dispensation bit is - dispenti in 3 3
    Next to the two 3s is the little superscript circle used to denote degree

Thanks CeannRua.
    Agreed on Jas Cahill. The other word is 'causa'. The heading looks more like Bigora - is it a townland?

Thanks Pedro. Bigora is the townland name, officially it's Biggerabeg.

Quite a conundrum that Biggerabeg placename, a lingistic paradox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

3rd and 3rd degrees of consanguinity means they are second cousins, because they are both three generations from their common ancestors, namely their great grandparents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

tabbey wrote: »
    3rd and 3rd degrees of consanguinity means they are second cousins, because they are both three generations from their common ancestors, namely their great grandparents.

I would have thought the reference to 3rd and 3rd means they are double second cousins. Otherwise one reference to the degree would be enough.

CeannRua wrote: »
    I would have thought the reference to 3rd and 3rd means they are double second cousins. Otherwise one reference to the degree would be enough.

No, each party to the wedding is a great grandchild of the common ancestor.
    You could for instance have 2nd and 3rd, this would be first cousin once removed, or any combination. Consanguinity always needs both degrees.

Quite a conundrum that Biggerabeg placename, a lingistic paradox!

:D

Thanks Tabbey, if only I knew who the great grandparents were. :D

Help needed please on the two Latin words below, placed after the bride’s name in the Register. The wedding (1856) took place in Cork with permission of PP Mallow. The second word looks like “conversa” which means “turned” (convert?) but AFAIK her family was RC. The full page is here, last entry on LHS.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree on the second word.

The first looks like (Z--inter but that means nothing to me!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks Pinky - I have a suspicion (relates to sponsors), but will leave it for the moment as I do not want to pre-program anyone's thinking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

looks to me like decenter conversa - which loosely translated means "proper way of life" or something like that....

Thanks KF, I'll leave it until tomorrow . Hopefully there will be another stab at it soon. (Only 14 views).

Help needed please on the two Latin words below, placed after the bride’s name in the Register. The wedding (1856) took place in Cork with permission of PP Mallow. The second word looks like “conversa” which means “turned” (convert?) but AFAIK her family was RC..

Miss Shanahan may well be RC, but Mr McDonnell may not.
    Precentor Conversa may mean she facilitated conversion.

• Advertisement

Miss Shanahan may well be RC, but Mr McDonnell may not.
    Precentor Conversa may mean she facilitated conversion.

Thanks Tabbey. You put me on the right track.:) I was finding it hard to keep my head straight on these people.

I had not thought of “precentor” as that more correctly refers to the person who leads a congregation in singing There is no obvious down-stroke to make “Praeceptor” (a teacher or instructor) out of it, as that would have been a more logical word. The feminine conversa suggests it refers to her rather than him. Nova/nupera would mean ‘recent’ but I could not make that fit either.

Then I discover an entry for the 31 January 1856 (a week before her marriage) the baptism of an Anna Maria Shanahan in the same (St. Finbars) church - born to Richard Shanahan and Martha Peyton! The entry has some interesting comments in the Register here (bottom of page) in the same scrawl of Fr. Cummins! Again hard to decipher it in full but it clearly states it is admitting her to the Catholic Church and obviously revisitingthe entry that he married her! See attached image below to read

Anna Maria of Richard Shanahan and Martha Peyton aged 24 years and from Mallow was today admitted into the Catholic Church by me by the permission of the PP of Mallow. I married her to a Catholic on 5 Feb.

I knew her father was Richard Shanahane and adding Martha Peyton in the search I see he in 1827 (Cork and Ross / Ireland / Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866) got hitched to Martha Peyton. That also fits with Annie’s DoB in 1830 (from 1901 Census) and other dates / matching people in an old bible. In the Tithe Applotment books it is possible that relatives are a Widow Peyton at Coolfada, Kilbrogan (near Bandon) and a William Peyton in Clogheen, Kilgarriff Co Cork.(near Clonakilty). The locations fit with family lore of all that lot being from around Mallow/Doneraile. And I now have Martha to take her place among the 32 :)
    Thanks everyone.

Advertisement