Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Question

• 09-07-2015 12:27am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, quick question
    Im originally from longford living in dublin at the minute, I have been playing football the last few years for my local club but have taken the year out this year to focus on a new job as i wouldnt have the time for travelling up and down during the week.
    i'm a fairly handy hurler, well i was when i last played, until my club disbanded 5 years ago, question is, can i move to a club in dublin to play hurling, and will it affect my ability to play football at home in the future?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

pajero12 wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question
    Im originally from longford living in dublin at the minute, I have been playing football the last few years for my local club but have taken the year out this year to focus on a new job as i wouldnt have the time for travelling up and down during the week.
    i'm a fairly handy hurler, well i was when i last played, until my club disbanded 5 years ago, question is, can i move to a club in dublin to play hurling, and will it affect my ability to play football at home in the future?
    Thanks

If you join a Dublin hurling club, you are perfectly entitled to play there and complete the intercounty transfer. However, if that club also plays football, and you want to at a later date transfer back to Longford for football, that Dublin club is entitled to object.

However, at a later date, if you wish to do another intercounty transfer back to Longford, and you declare your home address in Longford, nobody in the GAA has the right to verify where you live.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Colm R wrote: »
    If you join a Dublin hurling club, you are perfectly entitled to play there and complete the intercounty transfer. However, if that club also plays football, and you want to at a later date transfer back to Longford for football, that Dublin club is entitled to object.

However, at a later date, if you wish to do another intercounty transfer back to Longford, and you declare your home address in Longford, nobody in the GAA has the right to verify where you live.

Thanks for the reply Colm,
    I wasn't that clear in my op, Is it possible to play hurling in Dublin,while playing football with my home club? I was told it's possible because my home club doesn't have any hurlers at all!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

pajero12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Colm,
    I wasn't that clear in my op, Is it possible to play hurling in Dublin,while playing football with my home club? I was told it's possible because my home club doesn't have any hurlers at all!
    Thanks

I think this is possible alright - its common enough where someone plays football for their local club, and where hurling is not played there, they can join another club - usually its nearby but I guess there is nothing to say you can't do so in a different county. This specific issue is not dealt with in the FAQ's. Might be no harm to submit a general query to them here:
    http://www.gaa.ie/contact-gaa/

They have been quite good and getting back to me in the past about other issues including my own inter county transfer that got lost in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Colm R wrote: »
    I think this is possible alright - its common enough where someone plays football for their local club, and where hurling is not played there, they can join another club - usually its nearby but I guess there is nothing to say you can't do so in a different county. This specific issue is not dealt with in the FAQ's. Might be no harm to submit a general query to them here:
    http://www.gaa.ie/contact-gaa/

They have been quite good and getting back to me in the past about other issues including my own inter county transfer that got lost in the post.

Don't think you can play in two different counties - the nearest hurling club to my all football club in Laois is in Kildare and the odd lad in our club who hurls cannot play for them.

Advertisement