Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding fine

Options
  • 09-07-2015 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I've got a car registered to my previous address in SA, Im in Sydney at the moment and not using the car so I gave it to a guy from work who was caught by a speed camera, how do I go about paying this? Il be leaving for the East Coast soon and possibly back to SA before I leave AUS for good, but may be back in the future so intend on keeping my nose clean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

minzabud wrote: »
    I've got a car registered to my previous address in SA, Im in Sydney at the moment and not using the car so I gave it to a guy from work who was caught by a speed camera, how do I go about paying this? Il be leaving for the East Coast soon and possibly back to SA before I leave AUS for good, but may be back in the future so intend on keeping my nose clean.

On the paperwork there should be a section you fill in if you are not the driver?
    You need to name the person driving at time, even better if you have their licence number.
    Might also be an affidavit you sign on it affirming you were not the driver.
    My wife and I share one car and I get all the fines and points unless we clarify who was driving at time.
    Usually obvious from photos anyway...!

If you don't have the paperwork can you jump online to the relevant traffic authority and pull up your info? Usually you just type in car reg and your licence number for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Thanks for the reply, Id imagine the fine will be sent to SA and if so i have no way of getting it, I'm assuming that out of state cars are still issued fines by the relevant councils/authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As has been said before, name the other driver.

Get some banking details/phone details showing where you were the day the speeding offence happened as proof you were not the driver, at least for peace of mind.

I can't name the driver if I dont get the ticket is what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If the car is still registered to SA address, this is where notification of demerit points is posted to. Is it possible to phone/contact new occupants of this address?
    You could phone the roads authority in SA and see if they will tell you if there are demerit points over the phone.
    Otherwise you will have to pay for a report, which gives last 5 years driving history.

• Advertisement

Just to update, I spoke to the state debt recovery office and explained the situation and will be able to recieve the fine in Sydney when it's on the system.

On the subject of demerit points are they transferable to Ireland? I'm still using my pink Irish license.

I doubt they are transferable to your Irish licence, in Ireland. I'd be pretty sure the authorities have the demerits noted on your Irish licence number. If/when you transfer over to an Aus licence. You have to wait 6 months if you are on a WHV or has to be done within 3 months if you are staying long term (PR, sponsored etc.) from memory. I stand to be corrected though. The demerits will be put onto your Aus licence. They don't take your Irish one away but it is then linked to your Australian licence (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

pete4130 wrote: »
    I doubt they are transferable to your Irish licence, in Ireland. I'd be pretty sure the authorities have the demerits noted on your Irish licence number. If/when you transfer over to an Aus licence. You have to wait 6 months if you are on a WHV or has to be done within 3 months if you are staying long term (PR, sponsored etc.) from memory. I stand to be corrected though. The demerits will be put onto your Aus licence. They don't take your Irish one away but it is then linked to your Australian licence (I think).

Always wondered this but have never got a definitive yes or no.
    When I applied for a WA licence it took a few days as they said they were liasing with the Irish licencing authority etc to confirm legitimacy of the Irish licence and do some sort of "linking" but I still don't know if the points are noted on the Irish one.
    I suspect not but would be interested to know, thankfully my demerits have expired but always wondered...

Yeah, its a grey area. If your Aus licence was suspended and you produced your irish licence, It's still technically a valid licence to drive on.

Found this:

Driving in NSW
    Once you have been issued with a NSW licence, it becomes the authority under which you can drive or ride on NSW roads. Your overseas licence is not recognised and has no authority whilst you are the holder of a NSW licence.

When driving in NSW, you must comply with any conditions, restrictions or limitations that apply to your NSW licence. If you are requested by NSW Police to produce your licence in relation to a driving matter, you must produce your NSW driver licence.

If you continue to hold overseas visitor status, you may surrender your NSW licence (including a learner licence) at our registry at any time. This is as long as your NSW driver licence is not suspended or cancelled. If you surrender your NSW driver licence, you may resume driving under the authority of your overseas licence as long as you are not disqualified from driving, you have not failed a driving test, your visiting driver privileges have not been withdrawn and your overseas licence remains current and valid.

If your NSW driver licence expires, it must be renewed if you wish to continue driving in NSW. You may not resume driving under the authority of your overseas licence unless your NSW driver licence, even if expired, has been surrendered.
    You have an obligation to prove your overseas visitor status if requested by Police.

Advertisement