Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I uninstall Adobe Flash?

Options
  • 09-07-2015 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Just read this article>

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2015/07/08/rip-flash/

If Adobe Flash is insecure, and if HTML5 does the same job, then should I uninstall AF?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. Do all computers have HTML5? I'm Windows 8, by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Many websites still rely on the Flash player. I wouldn't be uninstalling it just yet. But do update it when prompted (and do check that the application is published by Adobe when asked to confirm the installation)! HTML5 is built in to the web browser, will run on all platforms Linux, Windows, Android, Mac, Ios etc.!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Nick,

Thanks!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I haven't had it installed for years. The very occasional time I come across a site that needs it, I switch to Chrome (which has Flash support built in), but it's been a while sine I've even needed to do that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

28064212 wrote: »
    I haven't had it installed for years. The very occasional time I come across a site that needs it, I switch to Chrome (which has Flash support built in), but it's been a while sine I've even needed to do that

Great tip. Thanks! :)

I only need Flash for one site - as I discovered after I uninstalled it.

So, I installed Chrome and set that one site as my Chrome start-up page.

I use Firefox for everything else.

Happy days.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I think I'm going to ditch it after the HackingTeam malarkey. It's just a gateway into your machine for those who would seek to do you harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Something I actually failed to mention earlier was that most web browsers nowadays have "Click to Activate" plugin functionalities which can be useful in minimizing the risk of plugin vulnerabilities. Everytime a flash script tries to load a placeholder appears allowing you to activate or not activate based on preference.
    For info how to do this in your browser check here

Nick

Advertisement