Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra virgin oil and bitterness

Options
  • 09-07-2015 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I've recently started to make my own pesto and found it pretty bitter. I just read yesterday that extra virgin olive oil can have compounds in it that when emulsified, like in a food processor, causes a bitter flavour. So I made a new batch, blended everything but the oil in the processor, stirred in the oil at the end - perfect.

Now, today I wanted to make falafel and hummus. Can I do the same for the hummus or does the oil need to be blended through for the correct consistency?

If needs be i will get a better quality oil.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You can stir the oil into the hummous, or pour it on top to dip/stir it. I don't add oil to my hummous (don't like olive oil) but I make up for that with lots and lots of tahini :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Whispered wrote: »
    Hi. I've recently started to make my own pesto and found it pretty bitter. I just read yesterday that extra virgin olive oil can have compounds in it that when emulsified, like in a food processor, causes a bitter flavour. So I made a new batch, blended everything but the oil in the processor, stirred in the oil at the end - perfect.

Now, today I wanted to make falafel and hummus. Can I do the same for the hummus or does the oil need to be blended through for the correct consistency?

If needs be i will get a better quality oil.

Thanks.

Yeah, rapeseed oil can do that bitter thing too. I have found camelina not to have these bitter compounds at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A chef here told me that if you use an electric whizzer it can make rapeseed oil taste bitter. Add a little ice, s/he said.

Advertisement