Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place for Tyres

• 09-07-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

There was a thread on this a couple of years ago and I don't want to dig that up as things might have changed.

But where is the best place in Limerick to get new tyres? I want quality, not cheap Chinese brands. I've used Thomond Tyres on Kileely Road before and although they are very reasonable, I'm not convinced on the tyre quality.

I'm looking for 205/55/R16.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Should be plenty choice in that size. Main worry is if they can manage to get all four on the correct direction and without butchering your alloys. Would also be worth asking what the date code is on them. Got tyres 2 years ago that were already 4 years old so are now an advisory for NCT.
    Could have been a miscommunication over the phone but the last time I asked for V rated tyres, I got T rated tyres. Disappointing and dangerous if I was to use my cars potential on an autobahn. (But still infinitely better than the nylon chinese muck the previous owner fitted)

As you can see I have accumulated a list of gripes with limerick tyre fitters over only 3 sets of tyres.

What tyres have you got now out of interest?

I did get very good service from Victory tyres. Tracking only as they didn't have the oddball tyre size to suit me that week. But I would definitely try them for tyres in future.
    BTW there are too many tyre fitters out there that can't track a car to save their lives, victory sorted herself's car after another outfit had failed twice to track it correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

205/55/16 is a very common size tyre these days so you should be able to get a decent brand tyre in that size for around €75/€80. I got a set of Hankooks fitted on my dad's Auris in that size fitted for around €75 a corner in Limerick Tyre Centre located in Fenton's yard opposite the Toyota dealer in Raheen.

If you want to judge tyre reviews before buying then have a read on here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

I've heard a couple of good things about Victory Tyres so I'll check them out. Fentons is the other side of town from where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Another +1 for victory great service

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

+3 - Victory Tyres Lelia Street.

Paul is the boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Midwest tyres on the dock road. My son recommended them,couple years ago and Ive been going there ever since as have my husband and his friends. I find them honest , reasonably priced and very pleasant to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Victory Tyres has been my go to guy for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Been going to Tyrestop in Eastway business park for a while now.
    Main plus points: they get the tires on the right way, won't ruin your alloys, will properly balance all 4 wheels (some tire places still INSIST they won't balance the rear wheels), use stick on weights, not the sh*tty ones they hammer into the rim that fly off, if you get 4 wheels, they'll throw in tracking for nought or maybe €20, most of the time they can fit you in right there and then and on one or two occasions when I didn't have the money for a €5 job (only had card), they said "just come back with it if you're out this way".
    Been to many tire places in Limerick and Ennis, I'm sticking with this one.

Been going to Tyrestop in Eastway business park for a while now.
    Main plus points: they get the tires on the right way, won't ruin your alloys, will properly balance all 4 wheels (some tire places still INSIST they won't balance the rear wheels), use stick on weights, not the sh*tty ones they hammer into the rim that fly off, if you get 4 wheels, they'll throw in tracking for nought or maybe €20, most of the time they can fit you in right there and then and on one or two occasions when I didn't have the money for a €5 job (only had card), they said "just come back with it if you're out this way".
    Been to many tire places in Limerick and Ennis, I'm sticking with this one.

I'd have done a better job myself of the tracking on her car with hefty sledgehammer than those boys managed after two attempts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd have done a better job myself of the tracking on her car with hefty sledgehammer than those boys managed after two attempts.

I get it re-checked in a while then. What is a good place for tracking? So far it seems to drive very well, point in the right direction and not pull. And one thing about that place: They are great at balancing tires. It is surprising how many people manage to utterly fcuk up this simple task. My car has not been this smooth on the motorway in a long time. In exactly the amount of time I tried every other tire place, to be precise. Then it pulls to one side and shakes, rattles and rolls.
    Went to a place in Ennis before that left my steering wheel 15 degrees out, horrible. Finding a good tire place in Ireland is like trying to find a good pint of Guinness in Azerbaijan.

• Advertisement

If it was as bad as herself's car you wouldn't have gone as far as the main road with it before turning back. Steering wheel way off twice. Must have been a different guy on the days she got hers "tracked". I don't think there's many places that are out and out useless every day... But there are very few are consistently good every day.

I found that very few places in limerick will give you a before and after printout. Victory do and gave a quick run through of the figures.

Advertisement