Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

My second journey on the IVF route started yesterday. I paid the clinic for round 2 - 4750 and I've officially signed on. I'm on Short Protocol this time. At the moment I'm waiting for AF to arrive, then I start on the pill for 21 days. Anyone starting a similar journey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Best of luck Hollywood xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ali_d

Best of luck Hollywood!

Thanks Sticky and Ali!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭saraj14

Well I'm back! Just did a FET, Doctor said it wasn't a great embryo so not to get my hopes up.
    I'd already decided before i heard that, that we would do another round of ivf straight away.
    Fingers and toes crossed that something works soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

saraj14 wrote: »
    Well I'm back! Just did a FET, Doctor said it wasn't a great embryo so not to get my hopes up.
    I'd already decided before i heard that, that we would do another round of ivf straight away.
    Fingers and toes crossed that something works soon!

Fingers crossed and you (and Hollywood!)

Fingers crossed for you Sara. Today is my Day 1 so I've started taking the Pill, I'm on this for 21 days so really I feel short protocol is quite long!! Lots of exercise and healthy eating ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Best of luck Hollywood and Sara xx

Hello everyone

Haven't posted in a while because nothing much has been happening with me. But, my journey now continues. Today I'm on CD13, so I am on Day 13 of the contraceptive pill. The clinic started me on Short Protocol with 21 days on the pill first. So far, on the pill, I am experiencing period type cramps in stages everyday, not constantly. Not sure if they are from the pill but I'm guessing they are, lots of hormones flying. My boobs are also very sore and tender, quite veiny too. I have my first scan on June 29th (my 30th birthday) so lets hope that goes to plan!

Had down-reg scan today (suppose that's what it was called). Ovaries are quiet and lining was at 6.1. Finished the pill yesterday (thank God, hate that bloody thing).
    Yesterday I also started Testim Gel (it's testosterone apparently), I've been rubbing that into my upper arm and will do so for 5 days. That ends on Saturday. I'll then start injecting to stimulate my ovaries. 2 injections per day - Purgeon and Menopur. I'll be back to let you know how those are going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ms.Maggie

Hi Hollywood,

I just started stims on Wednesday for my 2nd IVF cycle - it'd be nice to have a cycle buddy! My first round was in February/March and was cancelled before transfer as none of our embryos survived past day 4. Since then we've upped our supplements and I've been taking metformin, but apart from that our protocol is staying the same (short antagonist) so it's a bit hard to have much hope of things turning out differently but all we can do is try. Our doctor's reasoning was that I responded well and they got a good number of eggs. I'm being brought in for an extra scan to be monitored more closely so we're just crossing our fingers that the little changes will make some difference.

I hope the start of your injections goes smoothly tomorrow! Funnily enough, I find myself at my most level at this time - at least it feels like you're doing something.

Anyway, best of luck. I'm looking forward to following along!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

Hollywood130 and Ms. Maggie.
    I hope the IVF cycle all goes to plan for you both. I'm waiting on my period to come to get my bloods tested for my FSH levels.

Hi Ms Maggie

I started stimms on Saturday for my second cycle, definitely nice to have a buddy! I'm actually on the same protocol as you. My first was long but they changed it this time. I read before that the first time the clinic are really testing things out to see how you respond and second time they are much more prepared and are alot wiser of what you need. Not sure how true it is but its really keeping me going thinking this time they know what I need! My eggs are bad quality so like you, I have been taking supplements to try and improve that. Again, not sure if it will have an effect but I'm being positive and already acting like I'm pregnant. So sorry to hear how your first cycle ended, keeping everything crossed this will be the one for you x That's great that they are monitoring you more closely, that must certainly give you some reassurance?

Thanks Fingersandtoes. The waiting is horrible isn't it? Hope the FSH testing goes well for you

My period came on July 2nd, the clinic said I may have a bleed and that that was ok. So that day I also started my injections. I'm on Purgeon (which is simple to use) and Menopur - this one is a little more difficult I find, last night I was in a sweat preparing it. I've taken both for 3 days now, so I'm sure they will get easier as the days go on. Tonight I'll be introducing a 3rd injection Orugulan, actually that's definitely NOT how you spell it so I'll let you know the correct one tomorrow, I need to collect it from the chemist.

I managed to get an infection in my wisdom tooth so with that, antibiotics, my period and these injections I feel like my body is really taking a hammering. I'm completely exhausted and I'm guessing thats from the antibiotics. My tummy is bloated today and I'm guessing thats from the injections. No other symptoms at this point but we'll see how it goes. Back on Thursday for a scan, praying I've lots of follicles by then and that they are currently growing nicely.

Fingersandtoes - I hope you're not kept waiting too long. Waiting is such a massive part of this journey and it's so hard to be patient! Fingers crossed for good results for you x

Hollywood, it sounds like you're having a rough time so I hope you start to feel better soon. I'm so impressed with any ladies out there who manage to do their own injections - my husband does all of mine. I really don't think I could handle it! I'm on three injections too - Gonal F and Luveris in the evening and Cetrotide in the morning. The worst is the Luveris by far but I definitely find icing the area first helps, so definitely try that.

I had a scan this morning and the nurse said she would estimate egg collection would be Monday and that things were looking really good so far. It's hard to get excited about that as things were also looking good at this time in the last cycle but I need to stop comparing. I'm back on Friday for another scan so hopefully things continue to go okay.

Very best of luck with your scan in the morning - I hope you get good news and that it makes all all the discomfort of the last few days worth while! Looking forward to your update :)

Ms.Maggie, feeling much better today, pain in gone in the tooth which is great, going to continue gargling salty water for the foreseeable though! Just to be on the safe side. I have to do my own injections, thankfully I'm used to needles, it was tough the first time but once I got that over me I was fine. My OH is TERRIBLE with injections, he can't even look at me doing them!! So thankfully I can do them or we would be in bother :-) Ya the worst of mine is the Menopur, I even find it painful doing it, it always bleeds me a little. Yes I've been using the ice and it certainly helps.

So glad everything is looking good for you, try to stay positive, they defintely have a better idea of whats going on the second time round. Fingers crossed for you xx

I'm back at work after my scan, so my right ovary is pretty quiet just one small follicle, there is also something big there but the nurse wasn't sure whether it was a follicle or a cyst so she is going to query it with the consultant. Hopefully it is a follicle. My left side is performing very well I have 2x12, 2x11, 10 and a 9. So I'm willing those to keep growing and hopefully over the next few days the right side might wake up!! my lining is just over 3 which the nurse was also happy with because I'm just over my period. I'm waiting for a phone call but the nurse thinks I'll be back on Sunday for another scan. Fingers crossed it will be onto EC from there. Today will be day 6 of injections with another 2 days of them before scan, praying I get good growth in the coming days.

my head is still fuzzy but I think it's from the injections and I just need more water. So on a mission to get more than 2 litres in today.

Good luck with your scan tomorrow Ms Maggie x

Hollywood 130 and Mrs. Maggie

Hope all goes well at your next scan.
    Thinking of you both

Had another scan at 9:15 yesterday morning. My left side is performing better than it ever did with 5 follicles there measuring 18,17,16,14 and 11. My right side is not so good this time with only 1 follicle at 11. It's grand though I'm happy enough at least I've got lots of nice sized ones on the left. I had more injections last night so hoopefully the 14 and 2 11's are able to reach 15 by tomorrow. My hormones were very good at over 3000 which is also better than my first IVF cycle. So tonight I take my last Orgalutron injection at 8pm, I then take Pregnyl at 10:15. I also start an antibiotic today to prevent infection after Egg Collection.

My egg collection is scheduled for 9:15 Wednesday morning. I really can't believe how fast it has all come round this time, all I need is one good little egg, praying its in there this time

Very best of luck tomorrow Hollywood - it sounds like things are going really well for you. Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

I had egg collection yesterday and they got 20 eggs which was a bit of a surprise. Between that and high estrogen they've said we have to go to elective freeze. I was very disappointed at first but I'm getting my head around it now. I have to do two injections a night for the next two weeks to try and get my system back in order from the overstimulation.

I'm also concerned that there were so many eggs...it makes me even more worried about the quality. I'm very nervous now about the phone call later from the embryologist with the fertilisation report and then even more nervous for the call on Friday to let us know if any get to blast! It's an emotional rollercoaster! :(

Hollywood, best of luck to you again for tomorrow!

Ms.Maggie wrote: »
    Very best of luck tomorrow Hollywood - it sounds like things are going really well for you. Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

I had egg collection yesterday and they got 20 eggs which was a bit of a surprise. Between that and high estrogen they've said we have to go to elective freeze. I was very disappointed at first but I'm getting my head around it now. I have to do two injections a night for the next two weeks to try and get my system back in order from the overstimulation.

I'm also concerned that there were so many eggs...it makes me even more worried about the quality. I'm very nervous now about the phone call later from the embryologist with the fertilisation report and then even more nervous for the call on Friday to let us know if any get to blast! It's an emotional rollercoaster! :(

Hollywood, best of luck to you again for tomorrow!

Obviously every case is different but when I did IVF they got 26 eggs and of those 19 fertilized so a high number doesn't always mean bad quality. We had 7 high quality day 5 embryos from that and I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with twins :D

It is a complete rollercoaster. Will have my fingers crossed for you for the coming days. x

• Advertisement

Had another scan at 9:15 yesterday morning. My left side is performing better than it ever did with 5 follicles there measuring 18,17,16,14 and 11. My right side is not so good this time with only 1 follicle at 11. It's grand though I'm happy enough at least I've got lots of nice sized ones on the left. I had more injections last night so hoopefully the 14 and 2 11's are able to reach 15 by tomorrow. My hormones were very good at over 3000 which is also better than my first IVF cycle. So tonight I take my last Orgalutron injection at 8pm, I then take Pregnyl at 10:15. I also start an antibiotic today to prevent infection after Egg Collection.

My egg collection is scheduled for 9:15 Wednesday morning. I really can't believe how fast it has all come round this time, all I need is one good little egg, praying its in there this time

Wishing you loads of luck for tomorrow! x

brokensoul wrote: »
    Obviously every case is different but when I did IVF they got 26 eggs and of those 19 fertilized so a high number doesn't always mean bad quality. We had 7 high quality day 5 embryos from that and I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with twins :D

It is a complete rollercoaster. Will have my fingers crossed for you for the coming days. x

Thank you so much Brokensoul, that is an amazing result!! It really helps to hear others' positive stories. Huge congratulations to you on your little bundles of joy - I hope the next few weeks go well for you xx

WOW Ms Maggie, 20 eggs that is amazing, you must have had alot of follicles did you?? I'm actually calling them faticles now because I look 4 months pregnant with all the stimming!! I'm huge!! Oh God, are you in pain from overstimming? I know you might see it as a set back but you've got so many eggs which really is fantastic. I keep telling myself this time, to look at all the positives, any time I feel the need to be negative I try to concentrate on whats good in this cycle and what has changed for the better since the first one and it really is helping xx All you need is one Maggie, keep that in mind, keeping everything crossed for you... I'm not too far behind you xx

Thanks so much brokensoul, hope you're enjoying every minute of your pregnancy xx

Arrived at the clinic yesterday morning at 9am with EC scheduled for 9:15, they basically took me in straight away. I had taken 2 Panadol at 8:15 as prescribed by the clinic. I was brought into what I can call a mini ward and changed into my lovely hospital gown, blue things for over my socks and a lovely white hat! My OH wasn't coming in with me as he's not very good with needles or anything like that, I really didn't mind though. Went in and was quite happy to know Dr Egan would be doing my EC (he's head honcho at GFC), he was really nice and I was comfortable. I was sedated but still awake. Last time I didn't really find it painful at all, this time the left was fine but I felt discomfort on the right so I was very glad when he was done with that side.

The sedative this time felt very different to me than last time, I got really hot while the procedure was being done so they put on some cold air for me, once it was done my stomach done a bit of a u-turn so I wasn't able to return to the ward as soon as I thought. I didn't get sick or anything just felt a bit sick. So I also didn't get to leave the clinic as soon as I thought, I just needed more rest this time. But I was ok, I relaxed and when I thought it was time I told the nurse, she took me to the toilet, all was ok there and I was on my way home at 12pm. I slept the whole way home and stayed on the couch for the entire evening. I came to work today but I already regret this decision, I probably should have stayed in bed, feel a bit sluggish and getting a few cramps in the belly.

While typing I've just got a phone call from the clinic and all 4 eggs have fertilised, I can't believe it, I'm so happy with that. Now onto worrying about how they'll do over the next 24 hours.

Also started the Crinone (progesterone) last night, really is delightful stuff!!

Congrats Hollywood!!! Fingers and toes crossed that all four embryos keep going strong. I'm so impressed that you went back to work today. I still haven't gone back and my collection was Monday. Feeling a good bit better today though so I'm planning to go back tomorrow. Still very crampy and bloated but way more manageable.

We found that 12 eggs fertilised for us and we'll find out on Sunday how many/if any make it to freeze. I'm absolutely terrified about this call as it's where it all went wrong the last time. I guess at least we're a little bit more prepared for it this time but it will still be a big blow if the same thing happens again. Trying to stay positive!

I hope your work day goes quick for you and that you start feeling better soon. Really hoping your 4 stay strong and healthy. Rooting for you! xx

Well Ms Maggie I am regretting my decision to come to work, my tummy is still quite sore but I am sitting down all day which is ok I suppose. Glad to hear you are feeling a good bit better today. It does take some time to recover from it. Fingers crossed I'll be well by tomorrow. I'm the same very bloated and crampy.

That is a great fertilisation number, you must be very pleased. Fingers crossed you get lots to freeze, I'm very positive you will. It's awful waiting on the call isn't it. I was petrified this morning, then I was really happy for a while, I'm still happy but now I'm nervous about tomorrows call!! Again, stay positive, it's all you can do, imagine your little embryos doing exactly what they should be doing in the clinic right now. Positivity is certainly the way to go, just focus on preparing your body for getting them on board.

Rooting for you too x

Hollywood130 and Ms Maggie
    Delighted all went well for you both and hope the phone calls gp well. I rang the clinic yesterday as three weeks on I still havent had my period. They don't want to give me anything to bring it on so if it doesn't come in another two weeks I've to go up for a scan. Never wanted a period as much in my life!!!

Aw Fingersandtoes, it's always the way - so annoying!! I hope you aren't kept waiting too much longer and that you can get the ball rolling soon. Thanks so much for your good wishes xx

Nothing worse fingersandtoes, it's so frustrating isn't it. Hopefully something happens for you soon xx

• Advertisement

Yesterday evening I went to the lady I have been going to for 5 months now, she does complimentary healing, I find her fantastic. She has helped me so much to prepare for this IVF round and I feel I wouldn't have gotten on so well had I not been with her. So I went last night and she worked on me, I actually slept for the whole hour I was there, that's how relaxed I was, so so worth it, I was on cloud nine coming out! Very tired though, got myself a Supermacs (I know I know, shouldn't be eating crap but I did!!!) went home, spent the evening on the couch with OH watching Game of Thrones, perfect evening!!

Didn't have to wait to long for the call from the clinic this morning, they phoned at 8:58, wasnt' expecting it that early. 3 of the embryos are dividing as normal and are all at 4 cell. They are going to keep them and aim for Monday transfer, they will call me tomorrow again for an update. Praying those 3 little ones keep going as normal. I actually cried after the phone call I was so happy. It's going to work this time, I know it is :-)

Advertisement