Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5C

• 09-07-2015 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting myself an iPhone 5C, some good bill pay deals here. But I'm wondering if 24 months down the line it'll still be able to work well with latest updates and all that. If updates are still available for it!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

IOS 9 is coming to the 4S and newer iPhones so the 5C will probably see updates for some time yet. Also iOS 9 appears to be a performance and stability update (kinda like how Snow Leopard was for OS X) so you should be fine. 16 GB base model is a bit tight tho.

That said, 24 month contracts are a complete farce. Personally I'd rather buy an unlocked device myself on a sim only 30 day contact and sell it down the road on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

I'm in the Netherlands, can get an 8GB for €22.50 per month. Otherwise €315 unlocked. To get a 12 month contract would cost even more overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

pajor wrote: »
    I'm in the Netherlands, can get an 8GB for €22.50 per month. Otherwise €315 unlocked. To get a 12 month contract would cost even more overall!

An 8GB phone will struggle with the huge updates these days.

8GB on the 5C? **** that.

5uspect wrote: »

What I needed to know. :pac:

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be too much wrong with a 16GB 5S then..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Shouldn't be too much wrong with a 16GB 5S then..?

If its a long term phone you're going to want a 32 GB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

With the app-thinning and other space savings measures in iOS9, 16GB will probably be barely manageable for another while. But only if you keep most/all of your music and photos in the cloud. Apps take up a lot of space and you need a good bit free for OS updates, keeping in mind only 12 of the 16GB is actually useable.

I have a 16GB iPhone 5 which I would probably happily continue using for another year and half, but insufficient storage will probably force me to upgrade before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Wow the 4s is getting iOS 9? I take it as a gesture given how buggy iOS 8 was? My 5 should do another good while yet so :D

Mehhh can't really afford a 32GB of any version.

• Advertisement

If you're not a heavy app user and only stream music on a decent data plan then 16GB would probably be fine.

If you're not a heavy app user and only stream music on a decent data plan then 16GB would probably be fine.

Have about 6.5GB of music in my iTunes atm. Wouldn't be a heavy app user.

Need to give it a bit more thought. Might even wait for the 6S. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yup 8GB is not worth the hassle, for IOS8 6GB is used on a 5C so that leaves you with 2GB of space.

I've found out that one of the big electrical stores here offer an unlocked iPhone 6 on 18 months interest free credit. Seriously tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I've found out that one of the big electrical stores here offer an unlocked iPhone 6 on 18 months interest free credit. Seriously tempting.

Which store as I googled and couldn't find one?

Which store as I googled and couldn't find one?

Media Markt in NL.

Advertisement